IGNORED

90's hipsters - what did they look like

delet...

I've come to the realization that the reason I hate today's hipsters is because they are wealthy people feigning being all about art when they're just as materialistic as the mainstream and even more fashion conscious.

bingo. i don't think any of the 90's stuff mentioned in this this thread so far (grunge, techno, industrial, metal, etc...) has anything to do with modern hipsters. those are just different parts of the 'alternative' culture that was happening back then. each one of those genres came with their own 'belief system' & viewpoint on modern culture. the kids that didn't fit in with the typical mainstream bullshit on offer could identify with one of these movements and would start dressing the part, but they were all outsiders. the mainstream wasn't speaking to them so they found their own niche.

modern hipsters are totally different. these are all kids that are mostly good looking and at least upper-middle class with a lot of mommy & daddies money to burn. by all accounts they would be the 'popular' kids, but in an concious effort to feel different and superior to all the other popular kids they become hipsters. the key point here is that hipsters don't fucking believe in anything. they just pull bits and pieces of wardrobe/hairstyles/and other lifestyle elements (fixie bikes) from all of these other alternative subcultures but there is no unifying belief system there which is why these hipsters all look like the most retarded mish-mash of styles. just a bunch of rich kids dressing deliberately fucked up to prove how 'edgy' and 'alternative' they are but there is nothing to these people besides the clothes. just mindless consumerism.

the closest thing the 90's had to todays hipsters is the term 'poser' (or 'poseur' if you like). a poser was like someone who dressed grunge and sorta hung out with all the grunge kids but really wasn't into the music or the lifestyle. they just wanted to seem cool. usually they would have really expensive mall-bought grunge clothes or whatever. hipsters are like that but instead of pulling from one style and try and be one thing they pull from fucking everything at once and don't try and be anything other than a snob towards other people who aren't as 'cool' as them.

tl;dr - hipsters are just rich posers. fuck them all. the grunge kids (and all the other 90's genres) were alright.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've come to the realization that the reason I hate today's hipsters is because they are wealthy people feigning being all about art when they're just as materialistic as the mainstream and even more fashion conscious.

bingo. i don't think any of the 90's stuff mentioned in this this thread so far (grunge, techno, industrial, metal, etc...) has anything to do with modern hipsters. those are just different parts of the 'alternative' culture that was happening back then. each one of those genres came with their own 'belief system' & viewpoint on modern culture. the kids that didn't fit in with the typical mainstream bullshit on offer could identify with one of these movements and would start dressing the part, but they were all outsiders. the mainstream wasn't speaking to them so they found their own niche.

modern hipsters are totally different. these are all kids that are mostly good looking and at least upper-middle class with a lot of mommy & daddies money to burn. by all accounts they would be the 'popular' kids, but in an concious effort to feel different and superior to all the other popular kids they become hipsters. the key point here is that hipsters don't fucking believe in anything. they just pull bits and pieces of wardrobe/hairstyles/and other lifestyle elements (fixie bikes) from all of these other alternative subcultures but there is no unifying belief system there which is why these hipsters all look like the most retarded mish-mash of styles. just a bunch of rich kids dressing deliberately fucked up to prove how 'edgy' and 'alternative' they are but there is nothing to these people besides the clothes. just mindless consumerism.

the closest thing the 90's had to todays hipsters is the term 'poser' (or 'poseur' if you like). a poser was like someone who dressed grunge and sorta hung out with all the grunge kids but really wasn't into the music or the lifestyle. they just wanted to seem cool. usually they would have really expensive mall-bought grunge clothes or whatever. hipsters are like that but instead of pulling from one style and try and be one thing they pull from fucking everything at once and don't try and be anything other than a snob towards other people who aren't as 'cool' as them.

tl;dr - hipsters are just rich posers. fuck them all. the grunge kids (and all the other 90's genres) were alright.

I agree with and appreciate all of your points but it seems you may have not read the entire thread.

Poser.

• 6 months later...
Guest sirch

90sgrunge-lol :rdjgrin:

grunge didn't last the whole 90's though. at least not in the UK.

i don't think you can really pin down "90's hipsters" in one look.

there were your Guns 'n Roses-type rockers/Doc Martin wearing punks, carried on from the 80's.. and late 70's.

B-Boy-types, also carried on from the 80's. Grunge though was truely 90's...

then you had your ravers with their bomber jackets, really baggy jeans and back to front baseball caps.

then in the UK there was the whole 'Britpop' thing, which was just like grunge but not as dirty, lol... 80's clothes from second-hand shops.

then the late 90's was kind of a mixture, of surfer/punk/skater/rocker/grunge/sporty spice. and that's all pretty much carried on to this day.

except now it's even more of a fucked up melting pot mixture of styles.

i like that 'Hackers' pic the best. that kinda sums up the late grunge-mid 90's period style. "Cyber Punks", basically.

Guest sirch

the evolution of cool kid clothing in the 90's: Swatch watches, Zodiac brand shoes, Girbaud Jeans, Cavaricci Pants, Rayon shirts, Plaid button up shirts unbuttoned with sleeve rolled up, long sleeve shirts under t shirts with cool bands on them, ripped worn jeans, Doc Martin boots, long hair but shaved on sides and in back, nose piercings, way too many ear piercings, and then I started smoking weed so I don't remember anything except for the bad ass music I was listening to which we try to celebrate here............. :closedeyes:

same. lol

and 'under cuts' (long hair on top) and long sleeves t-shirts under short sleeve t-shirts were totally 90's !!!!!!!!!!!

true a lot of typical 90ies has been inherited from the 80ies,

imho a new element from the 80ies: negativity and cynism that came up, that "NO" in opposite to the

yuppy "yes" and has been carried on to the 90ies, so probably grunge was the marriage

of dark wave + post punk with spandex rock, and there was also the crossover hip hop metal thing, lets not forget about this

sorry if i mixed something up, I'm old.

Guest sirch

i think you always get a bit of an overlap of the last 5 years of a decade within the first 5 years of the next decade, basically.

'things' (in general) don't really move on that much til you get to around the middle of a decade, imo. then you notice things starting to change quite a lot again. - repeat to fade.

the 90's were great. the music business felt like it was run by the artists. I think it was a little like the late 60's in the early 90's. Something was "in the air".. Post 80's reganism. Post 80's corporate stranglehold.

I'm quite happy I missed being a teen in the early nighties, but quite devastated as well....

I remember my sister (seven years older) having an undercut shaved to the bone back and sides and having a man amount of hair on top.

It looked dumb. I was only 7 though so it must have been '92. Grunge really was dirty, she had dreads/braids at one point. I can remember how much they smelled (of ass).

I was definitely an art fag in the 90s (still am) but I didn't feign disinterest and made no compunction about being really into art so I guess I wasn't a hipster. I tended to wear cheap plain t shirts of varying colors and jeans/cargo pants most of the time.

I think it was a little like the late 60's in the early 90's. Something was "in the air".. Post 80's reganism. Post 80's corporate stranglehold.

Could you feel it calling in the air at night?

Archived