IGNORED

feeding your friends weird things

Guest tht tne

Guest tht tne

my cousin is a blues-rock guitarist and i've been trying to expand his tastes a bit with gifts of music, so far i've given him:

tortoise - standards

stereolab - dots and loops

jaga jazzist - a livingroom hush

mouse on mars - autoditacker

the orb - orbvs terravm

aphex twin - ...i care because you do

he doesn't really tell me if he likes them or not, but when i asked him which of the first two he preferred he said stereolab, so...

i'd be overjoyed if someone gave me those albums to hear for the first time... but maybe i should stop exposing him to my favs

i've been making more friends who already like technical, progressive, or experimental music so i might just not keep it up

i did invite my cousin to what though so he has the world of music at his fingertips... he's mostly d/ling software though, lol

I have a few friends who I've gotten into Plaid, Leila, and Oversteps lately-- I find that people who don't typically listen to 'IDM'-ish stuff tend to be more willing to listen to more melodic or straightforward stuff (the person who I'm using as an example generally only listens to metal, rock and pop-punk).

I've gotten a few of my metalhead friends into Autechre's Amber album.

Overall, if they like it, great. If not, it's whatevs. I hate a lot of music my friends listen to and a lot of mine is generally 'too weird' for their tastes, and I'm fine with that.

i've had successes with the end roll version of windowlicker (good for a few laughs), and turning a bass player into a squarepusher adept (too easy). for most regular people i'd stick with trentemoller. it's not weird, but trying to make them appreciate autechre is just like banging your had against a brick wall. in general it mostly depends on what they already like: if it's r/b hiphop, i'd feed them endtroducing... with a silver spoon. (also not weird, but hey, i'm not into creeping out other people)

Guest dese manz hatin

i don't even bother trying to do this

this, except for those of my friends who are basically into the same music as me.

but getting strange/completely puzzled looks when putting on minimal techno at the average house parties round here says it all already...do no want.

Guest Calx Sherbet

i'm not trying to sound like an elitist or a prick, but some people seriously don't even try. you stray just a hair out of the "norm" line and it's too "weird" for them. i mean, i like it when people give things a healthy chance, and really try to be open minded and understand (insert freaky album here). exploring the deep reaches of music is entertaining for me, but i guess not everyone feels that burst of positive energy that i get from it. to be honest, i have trouble understanding NOT being that interested in what's out there waiting to be discovered. but people are different. i just don't like it when people pass stuff off too quickly. not trying to sound like i'm better than others

i don't even bother trying to do this

this, except for those of my friends who are basically into the same music as me.

same for one of my friends. he doesn't really explore music at all, but he'll like nearly anything i show him (which i think is cool enough)

but getting strange/completely puzzled looks when putting on minimal techno at the average house parties round here says it all already...do no want.

seriously, there's nothing to be all confused and mindfucked over.

Archived