IGNORED

watmm photographers

keltoi

The 60mm 2.8 Macro was the next lens ive been saving up to buy funnily enough

it's ungodly sharp for the price - even wide open.

here's a few quicks from today (nothing special - handheld macro/jpg straight from cam)

too bad it's efs and not ef - would be a dream lens on full frame.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2728/67237644.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2329/50909075.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8343/98113749.jpg

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently got an old Minolta XG-1 from my girlfriend's mom, nice little thing, can't wait to develop the film I'm shooting right now. I also bought a 28mm f/2.8 lense for it, got it for next to nothing.

The same day I forgot my Polaroid camera in the bus when I was in a hurry to get off. I have 10+ packs of Polaroid film that are just lying here, begging to be used. Fuck.

XG-1... one classic slr. Great choice of focal length on the 28mm too :) Sorry to hear about your polaroid :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

at the weekend i should be getting the sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG macro lens. looking forward to ditching my 18-55 kit lens and having fun with macro(although not full) and portraits. all reviews i've read have been great.

(edit- apart from one i just read after typing this - that it doesn't perform well at 300mm. oh well, we'll see. can't complain too much for the money and i'm so far from pro i'm sure it'll do me fine)

(edit- apart from one i just read after typing this - that it doesn't perform well at 300mm. oh well, we'll see. can't complain too much for the money and i'm so far from pro i'm sure it'll do me fine)

Yeah honestly man I wouldn't worry too much about reviews. I got a cheap Canon 75-300 f/4-5.5 telephoto lens which has got almost universally slated in reviews. BUT, it does what I need it to do absolutely fine - I honestly can't see any problems with it, I've only had an SLR for a year but I don't think these look that bad -

sun2.jpg

snow_1.jpg

sun3.jpg

snow_3.jpg

Yeah honestly man I wouldn't worry too much about reviews. I got a cheap Canon 75-300 f/4-5.5 telephoto lens which has got almost universally slated in reviews. BUT, it does what I need it to do absolutely fine - I honestly can't see any problems with it, I've only had an SLR for a year but I don't think these look that bad -

sun2.jpg

snow_1.jpg

sun3.jpg

snow_3.jpg

i like the light in the train one!

i know what you mean... i still always read lots of reviews before buying anything. you've got to be careful though, some people are far from reliable... for example, one review i read said this lens didn't even fit the D3000 (which i have) and it does. ok it's a bit more fiddly to get on compared to nikon lenses but it definately fits! other slight negatives i read were slow AF and motor noise and i didn' find these to be bad at all. some people nit-pick.

anyway this is a present so i'm happy.

Guest ansgaria

So, I recently sold my Nikon D90 house, wanted to save the money to save up for a D7000, yet that amount of cash is gone already. Fuck. It's still nice to know that I only need the house since I've already got 4 Nikkor lenses lying around.

Guest Mirezzi

So, I recently sold my Nikon D90 house, wanted to save the money to save up for a D7000, yet that amount of cash is gone already. Fuck. It's still nice to know that I only need the house since I've already got 4 Nikkor lenses lying around.

I do not say this lightly...you will fucking *adore* the D7000.

Which lenses do you have?

Guest ansgaria

I bet I will. I'm very much focused on being able to shoot film with it, and it seems like an amazing choice.

Right now I have a 35mm f/1.4 MF, 50mm f/1.8 D AF, 20mm f/3.5 MF and the standard 18-105mm AF-S which comes with the D90.

Guest Mirezzi

I bet I will. I'm very much focused on being able to shoot film with it, and it seems like an amazing choice.

Right now I have a 35mm f/1.4 MF, 50mm f/1.8 D AF, 20mm f/3.5 MF and the standard 18-105mm AF-S which comes with the D90.

Great start!

I just picked up the Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and I'm gaga over it.

By the way, mcbpete, I think every one of those photos is gorgeous.

My roommate just picked up a D7000... a lovely little guy indeed! I sold off my Fuji X100 to pre-order the Sony NEX-7 that finally was announced the other day. Going to buy that and one of those new M mount tube adapters so I can mount my rangefinder glass and get better minimum focus distance with them. Cannot wait!

Guest Mirezzi

jules, are those all taken with cell phone and the HDR plugin?

Your little guy is adorable. My daughter is totally fapping to him right now.

jules, are those all taken with cell phone and the HDR plugin?

Your little guy is adorable. My daughter is totally fapping to him right now.

no i have a canon sx20 and some photoshop. i think i went overboard on them except for the minimal pool one.

and lol. :spiteful:

Guest nuclearaddict

My scanner is busted at the moment (light white line in every photo), so I only managed to scan and upload one photo from my trip to Yosemite.

hdfhdresized.jpg

Guest uptown devil

any recommendations for good landscape shooting lenses? seems like the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S DX is pretty highly revered, but it's super pricey. the cheaper the better, just trying to see what my options are.

You can opt for a prime lens like the Nikkor 20mm f2.8 (equates to 35 30mm on crop factor) which can be had for ~$250 used or for ~$500 and a bit wider there is the Tokina 11-17mm f2.8 or sigma 10-20mm

edit: derp derp math

Archived