IGNORED

Do people think you're a pretentious music asshole?

Guest esstevancarlos

Guest Mirezzi

No actually Overlook we just think your an pessimistic ass-clown.

I think that "your an pessimistic" appeared in the above post more or less supports the latter half of my original post.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Hahha fast typing... it happens. My careless typing flaw doesn't minimize your ass-clown pessimism.

Do you talk to your mother the same way you talk about Boardwalk Empire?

There are maybe two or three people I know that explode with joy when I show them something new to them that I believe is awesome. The rest all just don't react or say that I'm "missing the point" of music or some such nonsense.

Here's the thing though, the REAL thing:

There MANY different ways to enjoy music, and not everyone enjoys music the same way.

Autechre is not "bad" music, and neither are DJ Tiesto, Brad Paisley, nor the Backstreet Boys. They're all just different. Different strokes for different folks.

A good exercise is to listen to something you don't enjoy and ask yourself why you don't enjoy it. Then ask yourself how you do enjoy it. It feels awesome.

my idm friends are all either dead or moved to texas (yeah i dont know either)

wtf? Where? No one here likes IDM. They all like hipster-ass analog/retro throwback stuff.

There MANY different ways to enjoy music, and not everyone enjoys music the same way.

Autechre is not "bad" music, and neither are DJ Tiesto, Brad Paisley, nor the Backstreet Boys. They're all just different. Different strokes for different folks.

You win the thread

You win the thread

go wahrk!

• 2 weeks later...

idk, after flooring my friend with Aphex, of which he downloaded the discography on his own, and him subsequently posting a Diesel Boy song on my fakebook, i can't help but feel like i've failed in some way. different strokes and all that, and yadda yadda i must be pretentious, but it's seriously like passing by Beethoven for a Christmas carol.

Guest Enter a new display name

Music is a solitary pleasure, not a social one.

if this is true for you, i feel serious pity, music is the most sociable thing ever.

Why not enjoying music for different reasons? I know Philip and you a little. Philip would rather collect music and listen to it in his living room, while you prefer going out in clubs and enjoy loud minimal techno on a dancefloor. You can't really force people to like music for the same motives as yours.

Archived