IGNORED

knives

Guest fiznuthian

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my theory is he was picked on/beat up a lot in school as a young boy.

not even, he thinks he's superman because he doesn't know how easy it is to get your ass kicked. if he was a true warrior, he'd fight those animals with his bare hands, not shoot them with a fucking rifle.

You aren't in Damascus are you?

nope!

blacksburg, VA. my house is on a road that leads directly to the trail crossings.. i believe the main trail leads through mcafee's knob, tinker's cliffs, and dragons tooth. have you been here?

Not that far north. Grayson Highlands and anything south of it is what I've completed.

wtf, i want to live in middle earth

also, i have a leatherman core i try to take with me everywhere. i've used everything on it many times. a metal file is a surprisingly useful thing to have around when you're trying to improvise.

^In the process of food preparation, I frequently use a knife for cutting stuff & spreading stuff on other stuff. These are both good.

no, food and doctor knifes dont count

here in Virginia, USA we've got a few trails notorious for being relatively dangerous for hikers.

quite a few years ago there was a hiker who had fallen from a crumbling cliff and

survived the impact, only to have an entire arm crushed under a giant rock impossible to remove himself from.

he was reported to have been missing for over a week before he ended up walking out of the woods

and seeking help.. his entire arm was missing and had been clamped shut by his shirt that he removed

and knotted onto to stop blood flow.

the hiker was carrying none other than a survival knife, and after realizing he had no choice but to remove his own arm

he spent many hours stopping blood flow, subsequently losing feeling in the arm, and then sawing through his own arm to remove it.

had he not been carrying a knife he would have been dead.

this is a true story, 100% i promise you. any local here in southwest virginia would remember it.

Pretty sure I heard about that, or something similar, on the news a few years back.

jesus, can anybody here really imagine doing that? of course it's logical and possible and all that, but... hacking through your arm bone with a big knife?!

Idunno man... I don't think I could do it. I'm not too bothered by pain, but fuck! That would take some maaad desperation.

yeah definitely not the fist time its happened.. more famously a colorado hiker was forced to make the same decision after a rock weighing almost a ton crushed and pinned him..

here locally the trail was either dragon's tooth or one of the trails near it. can't remember which..

basically he tied the shirt tight enough onto his arm that circulation was lost over time enough for his arm's tissues to die..

once dead he wasn't feeling much of anything from it, so it was a matter of hacking away until gone..

the guy in colorado was a family man so i can understand his desperation. not sure about our local version though, people pass through everyday traveling on the Appalachian Trail

I think it was actually the one in Colorado you're talking about, yeah. I think I remember it happening there. Still... Christ.

^In the process of food preparation, I frequently use a knife for cutting stuff & spreading stuff on other stuff. These are both good.

no, food and doctor knifes dont count

here in Virginia, USA we've got a few trails notorious for being relatively dangerous for hikers.

quite a few years ago there was a hiker who had fallen from a crumbling cliff and

survived the impact, only to have an entire arm crushed under a giant rock impossible to remove himself from.

he was reported to have been missing for over a week before he ended up walking out of the woods

and seeking help.. his entire arm was missing and had been clamped shut by his shirt that he removed

and knotted onto to stop blood flow.

the hiker was carrying none other than a survival knife, and after realizing he had no choice but to remove his own arm

he spent many hours stopping blood flow, subsequently losing feeling in the arm, and then sawing through his own arm to remove it.

had he not been carrying a knife he would have been dead.

this is a true story, 100% i promise you. any local here in southwest virginia would remember it.

Pretty sure I heard about that, or something similar, on the news a few years back.

jesus, can anybody here really imagine doing that? of course it's logical and possible and all that, but... hacking through your arm bone with a big knife?!

Idunno man... I don't think I could do it. I'm not too bothered by pain, but fuck! That would take some maaad desperation.

yeah definitely not the fist time its happened.. more famously a colorado hiker was forced to make the same decision after a rock weighing almost a ton crushed and pinned him..

here locally the trail was either dragon's tooth or one of the trails near it. can't remember which..

basically he tied the shirt tight enough onto his arm that circulation was lost over time enough for his arm's tissues to die..

once dead he wasn't feeling much of anything from it, so it was a matter of hacking away until gone..

the guy in colorado was a family man so i can understand his desperation. not sure about our local version though, people pass through everyday traveling on the Appalachian Trail

I think it was actually the one in Colorado you're talking about, yeah. I think I remember it happening there. Still... Christ.

They made a movie about it starring James Franco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127_Hours

kinda related...

This is a replica model of a stanley knife I made last year.

stanley2.jpg

stanley1.jpg

I'll upload a pic of the finished knife when I have the time, its got a nice chrome finish and looks pretty much identical to the real thing. Pretty underwhelming though, moving onto much more interesting stuff this year in college.

Guest fiznuthian

are you talking about that smith & wesson knife mentioned above?

well hate to say it but he's right, and that H&K knife is no exception.

4034 stainless steel is a very low grade steel, about a step above what's used to make replica weapons.

if you want something nicer look for a knife made with 440 stainless.. it's a bit better.

or even better go with VG10 stainless.. some serious tough stuff

4034 stainless steel is a very low grade steel, about a step above what's used to make replica weapons.

if you want something nicer look for a knife made with 440 stainless.. it's a bit better.

Yeh, that's why I reference it as a "toy". :) Although my other S&W has held up quite well considering the abuse, sand, and saltwater it's been through for a few years. But for $30 you can't go wrong.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeh, that's why I reference it as a "toy". :) Although my other S&W has held up quite well considering the abuse, sand, and saltwater it's been through for a few years. But for $30 you can't go wrong.

that's whats up :)

i read that knife does have a really nice opening mechanism..

it'd scare the hell out of someone if you were ever threatened,

and personally i'd love a knife like that

to flick open when i'm cutting down boxes at work..

i hate opening pocket knives.. and can't bring my knives to work because they're too large.

• 11 years later...
  • 5 months later...