IGNORED

FUGAZI

J3FF3R00

I've been trying to get my wife to see the genius in FUGAZI for almost 9 years now, to no avail.

She just doesn't get it.

I think they are up there with The Beatles, The Smiths and any of the other bands that are considered the best bands ever.

They've been silent for almost 10 years now.

What a void to be filled in music.

Whenever I watch/hear them, I see them as a perfect band. Every player brings something equally important to the table.

Without one of the four, the band isn't the same.

Guy is so strange and unpredictable. Brendan is so loose, so fucking tight and full of feeling. Ian is the driving force. Joe is the solid foundation for everything.

At the end, Guy's work was shining particularly brightly.

I feel lucky that I got to see them before their "hiatus".

I'm really hoping they will make more music one day. They are just too good to not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzC0RNkBXM0&feature=related

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw them around 91 in Norfolk, VA. I didn't know who they were at the time, I went with a friend who invited me and he had an extra ticket. Very energetic show. had a great time. been a fan since, but i lost track around late 90s.

first club show I ever went to was Steady Diet of Nothing tour, and I think my ears are still ringing....

this band is one of the greatest rock outfits of all time!

the second time I saw them, my friends and I stuck around after the show, in which Blond Redhead had opened, and got to attend a town hall meeting with Ian....

was pretty surreal, all of these fans enamored with him, we all got to talk to him and he is one of the greatest musicians to have a conversation with because he really loves what he does and exudes that love. Although one girl asked him if he was a crackhead because she had heard he was, to which he responded, "No I don't do any drugs but my favorite musicians of all time is Jimi Hendrix and he did a lot of drugs, so I really have no problem with people doing drugs, just depends on what kind of person you are, on drugs or not on drugs."

Hopefully at some point Fugazi will get recognized on a larger scale for how great they are/were? and then we who have loved them for all of these years can gloat....

nah, we can just be happy that they finally got what they always deserved, to be recognized as one of the greatest rock outfits of all time!

"No I don't do any drugs but my favorite musicians of all time is Jimi Hendrix and he did a lot of drugs, so I really have no problem with people doing drugs, just depends on what kind of person you are, on drugs or not on drugs."

Glad to see he mellowed out after his militant sXe Minor Threat days. Yeah, Fugazi's the shit. Def a big part of my coming up.

yeah, i saw them live on the end hits tour when they where playing with two drummers. They're next to tortoise in being the best live acts i've ever seen. Feel lucky.

You can't beat this -

but I don't reasonably think you couldn't expect them to be as intense anymore, truth is they've grown older and have moved on to focus on their families, which is no bad thing. Ian's new band generally refuse to play traditional clubs anymore too, preferring to play art galleries and libraries to avoid the exploitative business end of gigging. In their day they probably played more gigs and more countries than 99% of bands and it couldn't go on forever. I'd imagine a full blown fugazi tour is getting about as likely as a minor threat tour. They might do one last swan song but no one paid more dues than those four imo.

yeah, there's a total range of sex, age + ethnicity of fans in the document video.

I could perhaps understand if someone superficially thought there was some, for want of a better term, 'macho male' thing going on tho if they hadn't previously been exposed to them (bare chests and shouty lyrics). I think fugazi have struggled with thick punks that think live shows are an excuse for violence too, but in the end the band is just so far away from that. They're considered and intelligent.

Guest disparaissant

I've been trying to get my wife to see the genius in FUGAZI for almost 9 years now, to no avail.

She just doesn't get it.

I think they are up there with The Beatles, The Smiths and any of the other bands that are considered the best bands ever.

"...here comes...the argument" :emotawesomepm9:

I love Fugazi and agree with you but neither the band nor Ian MacKaye is something one talks another into--especially a girl. I think fans of Minor Threat/Fugazi are males well acquainted with rage, disappointment or frustration and the only thing that does that to women is other women and women's magazines so I imagine Fugazi sounds--irritating to most of them lol. The only irl fans I've ever known fit my profile, myself included, and all of the responses in the thread seem to support it. You can always show "Avril 14th" or "Nannou" to a woman and they'll magically like Aphex Twin but what Fugazi track could do the same? :spiteful:

woooooow xxx. way to not only be way off (huge fugazi fan, know TONS more huge female fugazi fans) but that is some incredibly irritatingly sexist bullshit.

i do really wish they'd get back together and record something. they went on hiatus because brendon canty had kids and wanted to be around them more but in the last 5 years he's been on tour a lot so i mean...

Guest dankbudz

She just doesn't get it.

I love Fugazi and agree with you but neither the band nor Ian MacKaye is something one talks another into--especially a girl. I think fans of Minor Threat/Fugazi are males well acquainted with rage, disappointment or frustration and the only thing that does that to women is other women and women's magazines so I imagine Fugazi sounds--irritating to most of them lol. The only irl fans I've ever known fit my profile, myself included, and all of the responses in the thread seem to support it. You can always show "Avril 14th" or "Nannou" to a woman and they'll magically like Aphex Twin but what Fugazi track could do the same? :spiteful:

I think Fugazi is appropriate for girls :whistling:

Guest disparaissant

I just want to know when we are going to get a new Pailhead album?

or Lard, for that matter!

but yeah lol at sxe ian mackaye and "has he EVER been sober?" al jourgensen collab. especially lol at it being really goddamn good.

She just doesn't get it.

I think Fugazi is appropriate for girls :whistling:

So far, this seems to be the only song of theirs she likes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bzjgSBoZ8

... and she doesn't like the "Caustic Acrostic" version.

I'll keep trying.

I know that my best friend in high school tried to get me into them for years and nothing worked until End Hits came out.

Then it was like flipping a switch.

Maybe I'll try "Floating Boy" on her.

fugazi is very deep and it takes a long time for songs to grow on you, a lot of times you dont actually like the song until youve heard it like 5 times and its had a chance to gestate in your brain. unfortunately this is a majore hurdle for a lot of people who are used to mainstream music.

fugazi is very deep and it takes a long time for songs to grow on you, a lot of times you dont actually like the song until youve heard it like 5 times and its had a chance to gestate in your brain. unfortunately this is a majore hurdle for a lot of people who are used to mainstream music.

Totally! The funny thing is, my lady is pretty open minded about this stuff, usually. She was raised on jazz and classical.

Aphex twin was no problem (though she doesn't care for his weirder, more abrasive stuff). That isn't really a shock.

It was really, really difficult for me to get her into Guns N Roses... but I eventually did it! With them, I think what worked was pointing out the details in the performance, song structures, things like that.

With Fugazi, it's harder to put into words. It always comes out like "Just listen... wait... listen to this part... don't you see?!?!"

She just thinks they sound repetitive. What can I say to that? They kinda are, but she just isn't hearing what I'm hearing.

It was really, really difficult for me to get her into Guns N Roses... but I eventually did it! With them, I think what worked was pointing out the details in the performance, song structures, things like that.

i've been trying this with no luck :mellow:

Archived