IGNORED

Classical Music

Capsaicin

From the Allgemeine Musikalische Zeitung, October 1799, columns 103-4.

https://www.secm.org/misc/sun/sun.html

Our worthy Haydn, as is well known, found when he came to London a few years ago a not inconsiderable faction opposed to him. It was primarily Italians who attempted to stand in his way. A certain Giardini published two trios, in which Italian music is depicted with long, significant notes, while German music, on the other hand, is depicted with very short and insignificant little notes. The whole was intended as a swipe against Haydn’s music. Although the composer didn’t identify himself, choosing instead the name of a dilettante, everyone knew who it was. An English organist in the Royal German Chapel (the same one, in fact, who is now planning to publish Joh. Seb. Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier) responded by having a sheet engraved in copper in which a sun of the German composers known to him is depicted. Joh. Seb. Bach is in the middle; immediately surrounding him are Handel, Graun and Haydn. The sun’s rays are filled with other German composers in the following manner:

5637128481_a4df2f983e_z.jpg

Underneath the sun is an Italian owl that cannot bear the light of the German composers. To the side, however, are an Italian capon and a German rooster, in a position as if they were about to begin a fight with each other.

Our worthy Haydn is supposed to have seen this sheet. It is said that he was not displeased by it, was also not ashamed to be in the vicinity of Handel and Graun, and considered it even less of an injustice that Joh. Seb. Bach should be the center of the sun, hence the man from whom all musical wisdom streams.

F--l.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

Just got the Mozart Complete Edition box set. The most beautiful music I've ever heard. I only had a small collection of Mozart before this.

170 CDs of music. I'm not sure the total number of hours, but it's definitely a number I want to aspire to, though my music will never be as perfect as Mozart's.

I don't understand how he wrote so much music and died so young. Pure genius.

I listened to a live broadcast of his requiem last week and it was the first thing I had listened to in ages that made me cry. Dude was a GOAT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Allan Pettersson Symphony No. 9. What people love. Here's the loooooooong drama - then lamento finale, 5 minutes of crying violins - awesome. With a permanent violin like in... Ventolin ?
Inclusion of the snare drum into classical music was a good thing.

You could say it's like what Thom Yorke does... streeeetch the lament.

I can't see why IDMers shouldn't love classical composers as well.

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...