IGNORED

I live in LA now

J3FF3R00

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister who lives in Florida makes it a mission to go to in-n-out when she comes here. in-n-out is ok, but it's definitely not the best. one of my favorite burger joints is Habit Burger.

Edit: add'l advice: Avoid LA County restaurants with a B Health rating (you'll see it plastered on the entrance or thereabouts) . Go for the A's as much as you can. If you find a place that you trust and it eventually slips to a B, you can probably keep on trusting them. They'll probably bounce back (health inspector probably found an unrefrigerated dairy something or other on the counter that was meant to be thrown out, and would have been, had the inspector not barged in). But the perpetual B's-- those places have some nasty going on. If you're a white man, you will probably die if you eat at a C.

Paradoxically, throw all health concerns out the window and take in some taco trucks.

This makes people who live in LA sound like even bigger pussies than most non-LA Americans once thought.

*eats food that was prepared in a urinal*

My sister who lives in Florida makes it a mission to go to in-n-out when she comes here. in-n-out is ok, but it's definitely not the best. one of my favorite burger joints is Habit Burger.

our troubles are over dude.

Edit: add'l advice: Avoid LA County restaurants with a B Health rating (you'll see it plastered on the entrance or thereabouts) . Go for the A's as much as you can. If you find a place that you trust and it eventually slips to a B, you can probably keep on trusting them. They'll probably bounce back (health inspector probably found an unrefrigerated dairy something or other on the counter that was meant to be thrown out, and would have been, had the inspector not barged in). But the perpetual B's-- those places have some nasty going on. If you're a white man, you will probably die if you eat at a C.

Paradoxically, throw all health concerns out the window and take in some taco trucks.

This makes people who live in LA sound like even bigger pussies than most non-LA Americans once thought.

lol

• 2 weeks later...

Are you suggesting jefferoo moves to the antipode of Los Angeles, which is, like, somewhere in the Indian Fucking Ocean?

Because that could potentially be sort of silly.

I've been here for 3 weeks now and it isn't that bad.

Coming from NYC, obviously there are a lot of annoying things about it, but the same thing goes for just about anywhere.

There are definitely tons of douchebags who think they are fucking badasses in their fancy cars, dressing, driving and acting like assholes, but that is the worst thing, so far.

I like the weather.

Owning a car sucks, but is also kinda fun.

I miss New York, but I'm excited to be trying something new.

It's also very weird that everywhere you go everyone is either an actor or a writer. It seems pointless to ask what people do for a living.

My new apartment is bigger and cheaper than the one I had in NYC... and has a pool! I really like it.

It will definitely be a while till I get used to it out here.

I've had several people ask me if I'm from the east coast, which is funny. People keep telling me I will chill out in a matter of time.

I hope I hold onto my New York edge out here. It makes me feel like a heavy metal Larry David.

I'm still open to suggestions, btw.

The coolest things I've done so far are...

- Went to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and Eggshells) at the Cinefamily Silent Movie Theatre on Fairfax (Free beer, free BBQ, Live DJ spinning psych rock and couches in the movie theatre!!!!)

- Hiked around the Hollywood Resevoir

- Went to Cole's French Dipped Sandwiches (and got a tour around the side streets of Skid Row / Tent City from a born-and-raised friend. Fucking INSANE! Not exactly "fun")

- Hiked @ Griffith Park

- Went to Jumbo's Clown Room

- Driving in the hills

- Ate at Din Tai Fung Dumpling House in Arcadia

- Went swimming in the outdoor heated pool @ The Sportsman's Lodge in The Valley

- Saw improv @ UCB theatre

- Saw Kid Rock take out his garbage in Malibu.

So far, I think it is a pretty fun town. I'm lucky I have a few friends out here to show me some cool spots.

Go to amoeba records. It will blow your mind. There are also lots of little great independent shops here, but it takes work to find them.

yeah i must have not found them, so far Amoeba records is the singular redeeming quality about visiting Hollywood

lol

lol

I've been here for 3 weeks now and it isn't that bad.

Coming from NYC, obviously there are a lot of annoying things about it, but the same thing goes for just about anywhere.

There are definitely tons of douchebags who think they are fucking badasses in their fancy cars, dressing, driving and acting like assholes, but that is the worst thing, so far.

I like the weather.

Owning a car sucks, but is also kinda fun.

I miss New York, but I'm excited to be trying something new.

It's also very weird that everywhere you go everyone is either an actor or a writer. It seems pointless to ask what people do for a living.

My new apartment is bigger and cheaper than the one I had in NYC... and has a pool! I really like it.

It will definitely be a while till I get used to it out here.

I've had several people ask me if I'm from the east coast, which is funny. People keep telling me I will chill out in a matter of time.

I hope I hold onto my New York edge out here. It makes me feel like a heavy metal Larry David.

I'm still open to suggestions, btw.

The coolest things I've done so far are...

- Went to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and Eggshells) at the Cinefamily Silent Movie Theatre on Fairfax (Free beer, free BBQ, Live DJ spinning psych rock and couches in the movie theatre!!!!)

- Went to Cole's French Dipped Sandwiches (and got a tour around the side streets of Skid Row / Tent City from a born-and-raised friend. Fucking INSANE! Not exactly "fun")

- Hiked @ Griffith Park

- Driving in the hills

- Went swimming in the outdoor heated pool @ The Sportsman's Lodge in The Valley

So far, I think it is a pretty fun town. I'm lucky I have a few friends out here to show me some cool spots.

Good job on going to Cole's instead of Philippes. Philippes is poo. Philippes is one of those places that people in LA rave about because people in LA rave about it, and therefore it's a thing-- but the food is abysmal. See also Pink's.

(Note: both Coles and Philippes claim to have invented the French Dipped Sandwich).

The fucking mustard at Cole's makes me cum stupid hard.

Hey jefferoo,

Check out some of the art museums around LA, too, if you're into that sort of thing. LACMA and MOCA are pretty good. MOCA changes its rotation pretty frequently, and it can be hit or miss but sometimes it's incroyable. I think MOCA's reopening in a few days with something new.

Gotta reiterate that LA isn't as empty as people make it seem, you just gotta dig, dig?

- Hiked @ Griffith Park

- Driving in the hills

Based on your highlights, here are a couple recommendations (sorry if I've mentioned these previously):

•  
  • Cinespia - Summertime movie screenings at Hollywood Forever Cemetary (bringing in your own food & booze is allowed!)
  • Hiking trails in Santa Monica mountains
  • Bigfoot Lodge
  • LA MOCA
  • LACMA
  • Soap Plant / Wacko / La Luz de Jesus - big gallery/store full of cool stuff on Hollywood Blvd., there's a big Goodwill down the block if you like thrift shopping, and it's near Vermont which has a bunch of restaurants like Fred 62 (diner)
  • Beach Cruising The Strand coastal bike path
  • Harlow Gold Burlesque in Santa Monica
  • Hyeana Gallery in Burbank - small art gallery of dark/weird stuff. They have a Charlie Sheen show going on through Friday that's pretty entertaining. (Take Barham exit which turns into Olive, it's on Olive a few blocks past Buena Vista)
  • Tiki Ti - tiny family-owned and operated tiki bar on Sunset - doucebag-free zone, order the "Blood & Sand" for maximum amusement, free cigs, smoking inside permitted, hundreds of drinks
  • Toi Thai recommended by Producer Snafu^ is great
  • Sushi Hiroba on Vine St. between Santa Monica Blvd and Melrose
  • Canter's deli on Fairfax - open 24 hrs
  • Rooftop Bar @ The Standard Hotel - They have a rooftop pool, I've never been there, looks like it could be douchey depending on who's there, but you like pools so there you go lol
  • Angel City Derby Girls - always fun
  • The Troubadour nice bar/venue, Jaga Jazzist in June

EDIT:
  • YES @ Pink's Hotdogs (Melrose/La Brea) make sure you are prepared to wait in line for anywhere between 10-40 minutes, worth the wait
  • Anarkali - amazing indian food around the corner from Pink's on Melrose

I love me some Canter's, Superstix... I left that recommendation out since New Yorkers can be touchy on the deli subject!

Maybe I got an off night at Pink's and it's usually incredible, but I can't see waiting in that line again for what I did get. I guess it's one of those things you "have" to do at some point... hope everyone else has a better experience than I did!

Is Toi Thai the one near Guitar Center on Sunset? With all the rocker thai lady waitresses? Edit: lol, a hyperlink, it is!

I love me some Canter's, Superstix... I left that recommendation out since New Yorkers can be touchy on the deli subject!

Maybe I got an off night at Pink's and it's usually incredible, but I can't see waiting in that line again for what I did get. I guess it's one of those things you "have" to do at some point... hope everyone else has a better experience than I did!

Is Toi Thai the one near Guitar Center on Sunset? With all the rocker thai lady waitresses? Edit: lol, a hyperlink, it is!

My favorite from Pink's is the Lord of the Rings dog, which comes topped with 3 big fried onion rings and a ton of bbq sauce.

And yes, that's the Toi you were thinking of.

Nice to see a fellow LA resident in here with the right attitude :)

Are you suggesting jefferoo moves to the antipode of Los Angeles, which is, like, somewhere in the Indian Fucking Ocean?

Why stay on Earth?

Why stay on Earth?

flight_of_the_navigator-thumb-550x368-18447.jpg

Guest hahathhat

that image absolutely disgusts me. the clumsy, over-the-top airbrushing. the shadow on his chin transforming his face into something akin to ET. that freaky thing on his shoulder. fucking jpeg artifacts finish it off.

Archived