IGNORED

tycho visuals

jules

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i don't think they'll be much followup, because there is absolutely no doubt Tycho would not exist if not for BOC and it goes far beyond a 'detuned synth line' and the other stuff

lol, but it doesn't bother you when someone uses uptempo broken beats and wonky basslines, a touch of acid and it's called a Tuss-alike?

lol.

wait so joyrex are you saying tycho would be making this music and visuals if there were no such thing as boc?

yeah i don't think they'll be much followup, because there is absolutely no doubt Tycho would not exist if not for BOC and it goes far beyond a 'detuned synth line' and the other stuff

Truthx3

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

lololol I'm glad Joyrex came in here to create epic roflcopter facepalms with the help of other crazies trying to under state the hugest style heist, motif thief, copy cat, derivative douches possible. I mean dear god....

Showing your influence(s!), paying homage to them, giving them credit etc. is okay if you do it in a collage combination way but it ain't fucking cool when you seemingly have one solitary influence(_1) for your entire fucking aesthetic.

He should practically have to put Boards Of Canada derivative on every poster, video, song he makes.

I don't like Tycho at all, but I know a good bassline when I hear one, and that my good sirs is a good bassline. I think if he went more house music with it than BoC, following up on that bassline with some bigger dance rhythms and less of the washy washy, I'd be pretty into this.

Well, as "into this" as I can be for a good house music record.

following up on that bassline with some bigger dance rhythms and less of the washy washy, I'd be pretty into this.

Not exactly house, but check out Lone's most recent LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TVK39J55s

Yeahhh, not really into that either. No catchy bassline in there, and that ducking just gives me headaches. Thanks for the suggestion all the same though!

its hard to tell these days if people are using sidechain compressors or duckers, i never thought i'd see the day where the most used effect at Walmart employee announcements would be a huge feature in modern electronic music

I thought ducking was side chain compression.

it is technically speaking, i just meant that they actually do make all in one plugins that are duckers and then compressors that have sidechain ability.

Guest arcanum

jeez, i understand emulating idols but come on.... vintage colored surfers with hexagon lens flares? seriously?

http://vimeo.com/21965821

BoC didn't invent that look and style no more than Tycho did. If anything, both are merely referencing a period of time with the sounds and visuals of their childhoods.

Personally, I think both BoC and Tycho take entirely different routes with their music, so for me the comparisons are getting weaker and weaker. Enjoy the music for what it is, not for what you think it's trying to be.

I've found this topic really funny and entertaining, and to some extent I think it's true (at least in the case of the visuals)... but I gotta agree with joyrex here. I don't think of Tycho and BoC as being all that similar. And I like Tycho's brand of electronic music quite a bit, although not as much as boc obviously.

Guest arcanum

Jesus, once the surfer came on... definitely ripping off the dayvan cowboy vid.

will be very funny if the new boc has no guitars and his is tch part 2.

lmao

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I have no fucking clue how you can possibly under exaggerate how much everything about Tycho is ripping off B.O.C.

The only thing you could possibly defend him with is to argue the reasons why you can be that derivative of one solitary inspiration & still somehow be considered an artist.

I think you have to use at least 2 ingredients to be a chef.

Gotta combine more than one spice to make a meatball if ya know what I is sayin

Guest MortstoX

What Blanket Fort Collapse said.

Tycho is just pure evilness.

...both BoC and Tycho take entirely different routes with their music, so for me the comparisons are getting weaker and weaker.

You probably mean that BoC have changed over the years, while Tycho still lives in a 2001 BOC-world.

I remember some years ago someone here (or at XLT) posted an interview or an e-mail conversation where Tycho pretended to not know about BoC. Respect to whoever can find that thread.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I don't know why it matters so much to some of you that his stuff is derivative or whether he is a 'real artist' or not. Liking Boards of Canada a lot doesn't make him evil. It's not like there aren't whole genres built on people using the same gear and effects and tempos and styles that have lasted for years and still produce valid music.

...why you can be that derivative of one solitary inspiration & still somehow be considered an artist.

...whether he is a 'real artist' or not.

art·ist noun \ˈär-tist\

Definition of ARTIST

a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts

b archaic : physician

c archaic : artisan 1

a : one who professes and practices an imaginative art

b : a person skilled in one of the fine arts

: a skilled performer; especially : artiste

: one who is adept at something <con artist> <strikeout artist>

I think it's safe to say that to be an artist, or a 'real artist' or someone who makes 'real art' there is no abstract criteria or silly values involving derivation or uniqueness.

Music is not religion, & Tycho is not a heretic.

I'm not arguing that he isn't a hack or that he has credibility as a 'shepard' at all and I probably haven't heard enough of his music to make a judgement about that. But I don't think that a wrong doing allows for (imo) clumsy and overindulgent (even pretentious as much as I dislike using that word) criticism to be right.

Archived