IGNORED

tycho visuals

jules

I think what the OP may be railing against is the double-standard at play here. It feels like most of this board celebrates what's 'new' and weighs that 'newness' over the actual quality of the music.

This particular part of your statement is intensely silly for a number of reasons & I think it implies more about your personal taste than about what watmm values in music.

I've had plenty of conversations with you about this and it seems to consistently pass by you that for some people, myself included, the amount of interest & enjoyment I have with a piece of art is intrinsically determined, in part, by how and in what way that it is unique.

Valuing 'newness' over quality directly implies that the person is being dishonest with themselves or is listening to music for reasons other than their own personal enjoyment, which I can attest is something that is real and I have witnessed it (blah blah blah hipsters etc), but that is not how I view my own taste for "freshness", and I think many others on this website would agree.

Just because you don't perhaps see eye-to-eye with me about what sounds good, or what constitutes interesting music doesn't mean that my tastes are frivolous or that I'm lying.

TL;DR, you just dont get it ( :mu-ziq: )

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This particular part of your statement is intensely silly for a number of reasons & I think it implies more about your personal taste than about what watmm values in music.

In your opinion it's silly. It doesn't imply, rather clearly states the feeling I get about what watmm values in music.

it seems to consistently pass by you that for some people, myself included, the amount of interest & enjoyment I have with a piece of art is intrinsically determined, in part, by how and in what way that it is unique.

It obviously doesn't pass by me because I'm here mentioning it, now.

Valuing 'newness' over quality directly implies that the person is being dishonest with themselves

Do you realize that you've contradicted yourself?

and weighs that 'newness' over the actual quality of the music.

What I should have just said is that you seem to make the distinction over and over that freshness/newness is not or cannot be a part of the quality of the music. That is stupid, for all the reasons I described in my last post.

and weighs that 'newness' over the actual quality of the music.

What I should have just said is that you seem to make the distinction over and over that freshness/newness is not or cannot be a part of the quality of the music. That is stupid, for all the reasons I described in my last post.

I have never stated that freshness or newness cannot add to the quality of quality music. Quality is quality. Fresh and new is fresh and new. Two different things. Not mutually exclusive, of course.

No one on this website to my memory has stated or has the attitude that the newness of music supersedes the quality of it which is why I think this "double-standard" is derived solely from your imagination.

How can you even make this assumption without first assuming that your own personal taste has value over others? Is there no chance that perhaps you are just making an excuse for being alienated?

How can you assume that people are lying to themselves or that they think of music as a sort of "fashion choice" rather than a source of recreational pleasure unless you have some sense of superiority, that you think you must know such a subjective thing?

I think what the OP may be railing against is the double-standard at play here. It feels like most of this board celebrates what's 'new' and weighs that 'newness' over the actual quality of the music.

But in this case, Tycho seems to get a free pass: good music to be sure, but nothing new under the sun.

The ironic thing is if BoC released all the MHTRTC outtakes (e.g.: stuff that didn't make the cut for the album, aka some of the "Old Tunes" tracks), the BoC fans would be happy beyond belief, even though it's more of the same (aka "nothing new under the sun").

Tycho makes original music in a similar vein, and he gets derision for taking a great idea or theme and expanding on it (or, in some cases surpassing it with injecting his own original ideas on the theme).

No one on this website to my memory has stated or has the attitude that the newness of music supersedes the quality of it which is why I think this "double-standard" is derived solely from your imagination.

Nobody tends to state why they like what they like, it's a general feeling I get. I will give you plenty of examples in private so as to not embaress those involved.

How can you even make this assumption without first assuming that your own personal taste has value over others? Is there no chance that perhaps you are just making an excuse for being alienated?

I can cleanly come to this conclusion without involving my own musical tastes. Furthermore, alienated from what? Are you in some super fun club I wasn't invited to?

How can you assume that people are lying to themselves or that they think of music as a sort of "fashion choice" rather than a source of recreational pleasure unless you have some sense of superiority, that you think you must know such a subjective thing?

I think you mentioned hipsters earlier, and kinda pre-answered your own question defying both time and space. Any "sense of superiority" you think I might have is your perception and yours alone. Please keep that in mind.

Tycho makes original music in a similar vein, and he gets derision for taking a great idea or theme and expanding on it (or, in some cases surpassing it with injecting his own original ideas on the theme).

I guess it boils down to this. I do like his music, I think he has great production quality. However, I do think he's an absolute BoC hack that brings very little new to the table. His songs might sound happier, or more blissful...simply BoC in the studio during an mdma afterglow...

Good answers phakist... I feel a rather large dump coming on and also I need to start on my schoolwork. Lets let this thread be and get back to this conversation in chatmm some time, so that we can continue as you said "without embarrassing others". :beer:

I guess it boils down to this. I do like his music, I think he has great production quality. However, I do think he's an absolute BoC hack that brings very little new to the table. His songs might sound happier, or more blissful...simply BoC in the studio during an mdma afterglow...

...except BoC has never done it.

Guest Lube Saibot

irregardless

if it weren't for your distinct combination of talking absolute shite and turbo smart-assery I'd let this slide, as it is :rtfm:

I find it lol-worthy that you list acid as one of your likes - one of the most played out and derivative sub-genres of electronic music there could possibly ever be...

irregardless

if it weren't for your distinct combination of talking absolute shite and turbo smart-assery I'd let this slide, as it is :rtfm:

For using a word?

I find it lol-worthy that you list acid as one of your likes - one of the most played out and derivative sub-genres of electronic music there could possibly ever be...

[

I find it MORE lol worthy that you are knocking me for a genre whereas this topic is about aping a particular artist.

I'm sure even YOU can feel the differences between AFX, Ceephax, Vibert, EOD acid...

Guest MortstoX

Need...to quote dog_belch...one more time.

"Fuck, there's being inspired and then there's copying and

watering something down. BOC came to their music through

years of evolving, from guitar based tracks, bands, tape cut

ups, field recordings, all sorts, and it shows in their

unique sound, that obviously has its influences too but

moves on. That's why they're so influential. But just

picking up what they took years developing and then doing l

lifeless clone is depressing, for the listener and the

musician I imagine. It's not a matter of only autechre and

BOC doing original music, it's the fact that this is a

direct, shameless rip off, even down to the track titles,

that'll appeal to people that have never heard BOC, because

they won't know the level of fucking plagarism."

There! My last post in a Tycho thread ever.

I like Tycho, BoC and Acid. Am I doing it wrong WATMM?

you are one of the very few that is doing it right.

Need...to quote dog_belch...one more time.

There! My last post in a Tycho thread ever.

Good?

ok so all of tycho's music pre campfire headphase was very boc inspired, we all know that.. even the titles are generic knockoffs. so he hasnt released anything in awhile, then campfire headphase comes out and whoa, there are acoustic guitars ion this now! holy crap.

then tycho puts this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0MZ-a-Yd3g

but other people have used acoustic guitars before so i guess this was just pure coincidence.

:trashbear:

I like Tycho, BoC and Acid. Am I doing it wrong WATMM?

you are one of the very few that is doing it right.

I think we should all take a vote, so we can settle this once and for all!!!

implied-facepalm.jpg

i'm with kramer who's with the phakist on this one. dude wears his influences on his sleeve, and makes it a bit too hippy-dippy for my taste, and so i leave his music alone. the reason I like :boc: is because of that claustrophobic feeling others have mentioned. that said, i wouldn't stop tycho from making music, but if i personally knew him i'd tell him to get his own shtick.

irregardless

For using a word?

irregardless = not-not-regarding, aka, with regard to. lrn2 english, joyblub. :rtfm:

well said luke

now, lets all allow this thread to slowly die gentlemen.

see you guys at the boc subforum in ten, we could all use a nice campfire headphase right about now, me thinks

[

I find it MORE lol worthy that you are knocking me for a genre whereas this topic is about aping a particular artist.

I'm sure even YOU can feel the differences between AFX, Ceephax, Vibert, EOD acid...

Sorry, I meant to say that your like of such a played-out genre is ironic considering you're harping on Tycho for being derivative...

i'm with kramer who's with the phakist on this one. dude wears his influences on his sleeve, and makes it a bit too hippy-dippy for my taste, and so i leave his music alone. the reason I like :boc: is because of that claustrophobic feeling others have mentioned. that said, i wouldn't stop tycho from making music, but if i personally knew him i'd tell him to get his own shtick.

irregardless

For using a word?

irregardless = not-not-regarding, aka, with regard to. lrn2 english, joyblub. :rtfm:

S: (adv) irregardless (regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously)

And, it's a valid (while controversial) word. Irregardless of what you think. :emotawesomepm9:

Archived