IGNORED

tycho visuals

jules

Guest deadhospital

What Blanket Fort Collapse said.

Tycho is just pure evilness.

You probably mean that BoC have changed over the years, while Tycho still lives in a 2001 BOC-world.

I remember some years ago someone here (or at XLT) posted an interview or an e-mail conversation where Tycho pretended to not know about BoC. Respect to whoever can find that thread.

Not sure if this is the thread you mean? I can't find the original messageboard post though, maybe thats where the real detail is.. not sure. ahh well!

http://xltronic.com/mb/68537/0

post-9775-0-99051900-1302182941_thumb.png

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

lol, seriously imho it's borderline criminal heresy that he wouldn't mention Boards every fucking time the word inspiration is brought up in regards to his entire fucking act.

Guest MortstoX

You probably mean that BoC have changed over the years, while Tycho still lives in a 2001 BOC-world.

I remember some years ago someone here (or at XLT) posted an interview or an e-mail conversation where Tycho pretended to not know about BoC. Respect to whoever can find that thread.

Not sure if this is the thread you mean? I can't find the original messageboard post though, maybe thats where the real detail is.. not sure. ahh well!

Yep. My memory served me wrong. Funny thread btw. Especially the posts from dog_belch. Even Tycho himself has some comments after a while.

"Dear BOC,

This is what happens when you don't release a record for

years, the people get depserate and start making their own

BOC tracks. If you don't release an album soon people will

forget you, and then when you do eventually return they'll

say that you're influenced by Tychoo, and then where will we

be, eh? Eh?

Yours,

dog_belch"

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yep. My memory served me wrong. Funny thread btw. Especially the posts from dog_belch. Even Tycho himself has some comments after a while.

"Dear BOC,

This is what happens when you don't release a record for

years, the people get depserate and start making their own

BOC tracks. If you don't release an album soon people will

forget you, and then when you do eventually return they'll

say that you're influenced by Tychoo, and then where will we

be, eh? Eh?

Yours,

dog_belch"

LOL, looks like I chimed in on this very same debate 7 years ago. dogbelch was such a relentless magical cunt back then. in tycho's post he recommended kelpe as another good BOCish artist but it took me another three years or so to discover him myself. all those wasted years when I should have done what tycho told me to do...

somebody should make something really really impressive that rips off boc but beats them in ideas and how intense its presented. that would make them come out of their caves

well maybe they just share the same aestethic preference but man... tycho does seem to be always 5 years behind BoC.

I mean SURFERS? really tycho? surfers? did they by any chance parachute from space?

Wouldn't have anything to do with Tycho being based in California and perhaps having an affinity for waves and summery images, would it?

It really annoys me whenever someone hears a detuned synth line or a hexagon they instantly think it's aping BoC's style or aesthetic...

I would take your point if this was an isolated incident. As I said it could just be coincidence, but there's been a few already.

wait so joyrex are you saying tycho would be making this music and visuals if there were no such thing as boc?

Hard to say (it's difficult to say what direction anyone's musical style would have or have not gone in had "x" artist existed or not. There's no doubt that BoC's work has inspired Tycho to some extent, but would have Tycho gone in the same direction irregardless? Hard to say.

Jesus, once the surfer came on... definitely ripping off the dayvan cowboy vid.

will be very funny if the new boc has no guitars and his is tch part 2.

lmao

The whole video is about surfers and the ocean, and not a man falling from space - again, not the first video with a surfer in it I've seen...

lol, seriously imho it's borderline criminal heresy that he wouldn't mention Boards every fucking time the word inspiration is brought up in regards to his entire fucking act.

You really should listen to more of Tycho's music before you make a blanket (see what I did thar?) assumption like that. I think you like trolling for the sake of it, rather than having an intelligent discussion about it.

yeah, Coastal Brake is totally a BOC song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitnHzwigTA

i was sorta with the "hes a copycat" until i heard this song. sorry, but this song is fucking awesome...sexy, smooth, doesn't remind me of BoC at all.

i would imagine if he didnt already have the comparisons to BoC out the ass this single would have been a big deal.

lol, nah man me trolling? I'm just being honest, I can't understand how you could argue, listen to more Tycho? I've heard at least three hours of his music or something... dude common man, cracka you gotta be outta your got damn mind...song titles alone are enough to make a kid go eh? music has the right be stolen? your choices of words in defending Tycho/in this discussion are hilarious man. You are either slightly trolling or just wanting to argue or Tycho is trying to invest in Joysex inc.

(I haven't heard his tunes for 3 years I will admit)

Tycho>Flahbulb

uhh duh, I would see Tycho 4 times before I would see Flahbulb again.. but that's not the point at all.

if i had an equally feeble mind Id probably be off saying every single person on EKT ripped off RDJ, or Squarepusher ripped off RDJ,

but instead I appreciate the vision each artist attempts to bring and despite its influences, judge it individually. like a normal human being.

live with it

:facepalm: I have enjoyed Tycho's music quite a few times, I was going to buy my ex-girlfriend a few of his posters,

He obviously does a great job and goes further than B.O.C. in some respects but that ain't the fucking point.

:facepalm: I have enjoyed Tycho's music quite a few times, I was going to buy my ex-girlfriend a few of his posters,

He obviously does a great job and goes further than B.O.C. in some respects but that ain't the fucking point.

Then pray tell, sir - what is the point you're trying to make?

i would love to hear the point, seeing as your OP in this thread was bashing every aspect of him, then quickly backtracking to admitting you wanted to buy your gf his posters and enjoying some of his music.

i was sorta with the "hes a copycat" until i heard this song. sorry, but this song is fucking awesome...sexy, smooth, doesn't remind me of BoC at all.

i would imagine if he didnt already have the comparisons to BoC out the ass this single would have been a big deal.

that track is really nice

Guest AcrossCanyons

if tycho's albums were released under boards of canada would you rage over the similarities? i doubt it - tycho makes great music - leave it at that.

there are 100 RDJ clones on this site alone but they don't get the same hate. :shrug:

that track is really nice

see? it is good aint it? you can be a BoC fan and still find Tycho's music to be awesome,...if anything I initially expected more of a positive reaction towards an artist wearing his influences on his sleeve....didn't everyone go apeshit over Bibio when he first came out?

Tycho's stuff usually gives me a blissed out feeling, whereas BoC always had this mysterious, eerie, sometimes claustrophobic feel to it..and i love both styles.

I think what the OP may be railing against is the double-standard at play here. It feels like most of this board celebrates what's 'new' and weighs that 'newness' over the actual quality of the music.

But in this case, Tycho seems to get a free pass: good music to be sure, but nothing new under the sun.

I think what the OP may be railing against is the double-standard at play here. It feels like most of this board celebrates what's 'new' and weighs that 'newness' over the actual quality of the music.

But in this case, Tycho seems to get a free pass: good music to be sure, but nothing new under the sun.

where are all these crowds amongst watmm hailing tycho as something new and unique?

so if something is good music but not watershed groundbreaking in nature it should be overlooked?

where are all these crowds amongst watmm hailing tycho as something new and unique?

so if something is good music but not watershed groundbreaking in nature it should be overlooked?

You seem to have reversed what I actually said, dude.

The point of my dandelion heptagon might be just because someone makes 4 times orange=volcanic butterfly recreations that are enjoyable, done well & in some cases close to coastline dreamcruiser surpassing it's only inspiration/predecessor/originator doesn't mean it deserves to be greeted with copious amounts delusion, circa 69' moonshine and hard nipples of open armed acceptance.

Negative criticisms can have positive results, tough love is real love, the dude obviously has skills and I think if more ignorant kids weren't trying to suck on his sunrise projector maybe he would have at least tried to be slightly original many moon kaleidoscopes ago.

I dunno, this all just like, my opinion man

The point of my dandelion heptagon might be just because someone makes 4 times orange=volcanic butterfly recreations that are enjoyable, done well & in some cases close to coastline dreamcruiser surpassing it's only inspiration/predecessor/originator doesn't mean it deserves to be greeted with copious amounts delusion, circa 69' moonshine and hard nipples of open armed acceptance.

Negative criticisms can have positive results, tough love is real love, the dude obviously has skills and I think if more ignorant kids weren't trying to suck on his sunrise projector maybe he would have at least tried to be slightly original many moon kaleidoscopes ago.

I dunno, this all just like, my opinion man

fair enough. i thought the Campfire Headphase was a derivative and just plain boring album.

but i try not to bring it up because peoples' feelings get hurt.

Archived