IGNORED

tycho visuals

jules

Sorry, I meant to say that your like of such a played-out genre is ironic considering you're harping on Tycho for being derivative...

Again, "played out" != "derivative".

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I meant to say that your like of such a played-out genre is ironic considering you're harping on Tycho for being derivative...

I wasn't saying it was, but in the genre of accccccidd *burp*, most artists ARE derivative.

Guest placidburp

I wasn't saying it was, but in the genre of accccccidd *burp*, most artists ARE derivative.

oi!

oh

OK, so I've never really checked this guy's work in any detail because every time I'd see one of his tracks pop up on youtube, I'd casually dismiss it as another BoC rip off. There've been a few of those, after all, and they wear thin, like muzak or taco bell. So I was curious when I saw this thread and I watched the video and I was so indignant at the blatantness of the plagiarism of ideas here that I looked at some other things he's done. And it's very sad. He seems to have pretended that it's not BoC inspired. But come on! I know kaleidoscopes are not unique to the Sandison's work, nor are surfers, nor are warbled-out melodies and over-saturated film. Well, the warbled-out tunes trick is a trademark of theirs, but my point is the conjunction of those properties is appropriately credited to their approach to art as "memory wash" or whatever. I mean, I just saw a cheesy knock-off of an analogue synth track called "PBS", and it's not supposed to be at all influenced by Boards? This graphic, um, you know, like, designer also coincidentally was inspired by public broadcasting, except in 2008. That fucking incredible. Oh, and his lecture on graphic design, you know, like, totally, um, sucks cheese.

I mean, for fuck's sake, it's as though he found out about that posted video of BoC's live "Julie and Candy" w/visuals and decided he was also going to do a sports-themed kaleidescope movie fo' his own tunes. But this time, he'll have surfers with the sun behind them so it's all sillouettes and hexagon after-images. Well, problem is, that just combines Dayvan Cowboy with that Julie and Candy thing. What the hell.

Sorry, I hardly ever post, but one more thing: look at his older live performances. Mostly stills moving around in kaleidescope patterns. Then that Julie and Candy video appears and some people claim that's exactly what they saw Boards use in their live show. Now we see this newer Tycho work.

As it turns out, I actually don't mind the tune that much, but it's just the combination of the ripped-off visuals plus overall aesthetic that gets under my skin.

why is it when anybody calls someone out on being totally derivative there is always one person who says one of the two

- 'what artist isn't derivative'

- 'everything has already been done'

those are very weak arguments, first of all being derivative is on a scale. What tycho did is not merely inspired, nor is he openly paying homage to BOC, he is clearly relying entirely on their aesthetic for his career to succeed. IF not for BOC he would most likely be a creative psychic vampire to another sound. secondly it's not a bad thing to enjoy extremely derivative art.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Exactly! Awepittance put it down on the ground (in a few ways like I have been trying to but maybe failed in doing so)

why is it when anybody calls someone out on being totally derivative there is always one person who says one of the two

those are very weak arguments, first of all being derivative is on a scale. What tycho did is not merely inspired, nor is he openly paying homage to BOC, he is clearly relying entirely on their aesthetic for his career to succeed. IF not for BOC he would most likely be a creative psychic vampire to another sound. secondly it's not a bad thing to enjoy extremely derivative art.

so should I shit all over your earlier pieces because you created intentional autechre hoaxes? its still early in this guy's career, and with Coastal Brake and a few other tracks hes shown that he can be very different from BoC.

the whole relying on someone else s aesthetic is ridiculous too, but i gotta go work so I ll get back and moan later.

Agreed - this is played out as acid is :emotawesomepm9:

Roland tb-303: $1700 USD

EKT membership: $50

Being trolled by the site's admin:

PRICELESS

EKT 50USD? Since when?

And I'm not trolling, just poking fun. Not like nobody's ever done that to me on here... :whistling:

this is one of the most enjoyable threads I have read in awhile :emotawesomepm9:

Music is not religion, & Tycho is not a heretic.

I dig this for some reason.

I like Tycho, BoC and Acid. Am I doing it wrong WATMM?
Me too :(

story of my WATMM life

As it turns out, I actually don't mind the tune that much, but it's just the combination of the ripped-off visuals plus overall aesthetic that gets under my skin.

Dude, avoid chillwave and witch house at all costs. It might kill you.

why is it when anybody calls someone out on being totally derivative there is always one person who says one of the two- 'what artist isn't derivative' - 'everything has already been done' those are very weak arguments, first of all being derivative is on a scale. What tycho did is not merely inspired, nor is he openly paying homage to BOC, he is clearly relying entirely on their aesthetic for his career to succeed. IF not for BOC he would most likely be a creative psychic vampire to another sound. secondly it's not a bad thing to enjoy extremely derivative art.

^this. I have a close friend who mostly listens to rock/"guitar" music, etc and was all about Tycho last year. He's got a good ear in general but he's no electronic music fanatic. I made some joke about BoC and Tycho and he literally had an epiphany...but then was like "well, who cares" and I agreed.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

so should I shit all over your earlier pieces because you created intentional autechre hoaxes? its still early in this guy's career, and with Coastal Brake and a few other tracks hes shown that he can be very different from BoC.

the whole relying on someone else s aesthetic is ridiculous too,

There is a huge difference between making Autechre hoaxes for fun(fun only) and between then SELLING those hoaxes, not telling people you are SELLING Autechre hoaxes then making and basing your entire career off of it.

i am pretty dumbfounded by the fact that people are still in denial about the blatantly obvious Tycho / BOC comparison.

and thanks for the clarification above, and further clarification

i made an album (one single album, not plural) 2 years before untilted

when untilted came out and leaked it sounded fake to me so i put up an album i made 2 years earlier on soulseek and called it untilted. Listen to the 2 albums and tell me with a straight face they sound very similar, i admit i was inspired by Autechre and still am in a lot of my music, but this is not even in the same zone as the Tycho/BOC symbiosis. I took advantage of a short window of confusion among autechre fans (many of whom didn't believe the REAL untilted leak was indeed real), fans who download music on the internet for free. Some people can try to make an argument that i'm riding autechre's coat tails to gain success, but they would have to try awfully hard to make a semi convincing argument of that. If anything i think i pissed off a lot more people (autechre fans can be touchy :emotawesomepm9: ) doing it than i actually won over

i find this whole notion of going after somebody who points out the blatant ripoffery of Tycho as being derivative themselves are a pretty disingenuous way to face up to the claims made.

steps

1. say tycho is a ripoff of boc

2. other person doesn't do a very good job of defending Tycho, because it's practically non defendable

3. other person realizes the difficult task facing them (in defending something so hard to defend) resorts to attacking the messenger's own artistic integrity

edit: i like to use the term 'artisan' to describe musicians like Tycho. It's the same word i would use to describe a wood carving craftsmen who is extremely great at making the same kind of chair over and over again

edit2: in response to what Blanket said above, i'm still excited for the day that a huge big selling musician will admit after they've cashed out that it was all done as a joke and they thought their own output was shit. I know the KLF claimed to have done this, but i honestly don't know if i believe them.

Archived