IGNORED

Melancholia

Squee

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After visiting the website I'm more stoked to see the film. Von Trier has never disappointed me (though I haven't seen one of the films in his American...trilogy?)

I actually find him to be one of the more hilarious directors - he captures a certain sort of dark humor better than anyone. If he didn't have the humor, he'd just be a pretentious twat.

I really liked Antichrist. I REALLY liked it. Melancholia didn't really catch my attention. As a matter of fact, when I left the theatre I was really disappointed. All my friends liked it but I hated it. I thought it was overly pretentious and way too long. Also Charlotte Gainsbourg drove me insane with her monotonous whispering voice. Weeks went by and the more I talked to people about this movie the more I liked it.

I would go as far as to say that I've never watched a movie about the end of the world (it's a bit of a stretch to say that it's a movie about the world coming to an end... but, well... you know...) that made me feel so uncomfortable. The scene where Melancholia apparantly flew right past Earth felt like such a relief which struck me as weird because I knew that the world was coming to an end - we all saw that during the first 10 minutes of the movie. But when it came back around I almost felt panicky just like Charlotte Gainsbourg. I also liked the fact that it takes forever for the asteroid or whatever it is to finally hit Earth. It really helped building the suspense.

I really liked Antichrist. I REALLY liked it. Melancholia didn't really catch my attention. As a matter of fact, when I left the theatre I was really disappointed. All my friends liked it but I hated it. I thought it was overly pretentious and way too long. Also Charlotte Gainsbourg drove me insane with her monotonous whispering voice. Weeks went by and the more I talked to people about this movie the more I liked it.

I had the same with enter the void. I felt pretty disappointed when leaving the cinema but half a year later I kind of like it for what it is.

always had a boner for her ever since jumanji

yeah i felt like a creep when i rewatched jumanji when i was like 20 or something and still wanted to bang her :facepalm:

I didn't find her particularly hot then. But she's been cute for a bit now.

I thought it was alright, but it definitely made me feel like wanting to watch more apocalyptic films. My apocalyptic dreams are my favourite dreams and this felt a lot like one of those. I was a bit distracted while watching it for a couple of reasons, so that could have had an effect on my appreciation of the film.

I would go as far as to say that I've never watched a movie about the end of the world (it's a bit of a stretch to say that it's a movie about the world coming to an end... but, well... you know...) that made me feel so uncomfortable. The scene where Melancholia apparantly flew right past Earth felt like such a relief which struck me as weird because I knew that the world was coming to an end - we all saw that during the first 10 minutes of the movie. But when it came back around I almost felt panicky just like Charlotte Gainsbourg. I also liked the fact that it takes forever for the asteroid or whatever it is to finally hit Earth. It really helped building the suspense.

I wish that somehow the theatre was set up like an ammusement park ride, but no one was made aware of it, so that when it go to that part, the theatre shook and rumbled, that would've been AWESOME and terrifying... and AWESOME!

Melancholia_409_photo_by_Christian_Geisnaes_large.jpg

I really like how he uses this shot with his female leads

antichrist-charlotte-gainsbourg12.jpg

03_300dpi.jpg

I think Von Trier is hilarious but it must be uncomfortable for women to hear the horrible things he says about them...

I am going to print these and put them on my wall

Guest the anonymous forumite

I thought it was excellent. Not the best Von Trier obviously but I really enjoyed his take on depression, how much one can feel a sort of attraction to it, how realist depressed people can get, and how melancholia is swallowing the world. It was just a bit too long, but the end was so worth it. Escape depression by going to that magical cavern inside of us. Beautiful !

I thought it was excellent. Not the best Von Trier obviously but I really enjoyed his take on depression, how much one can feel a sort of attraction to it, how realist depressed people can get, and how melancholia is swallowing the world. It was just a bit too long, but the end was so worth it. Escape depression by going to that magical cavern inside of us. Beautiful !

what is better Von Trier?

I don't want to see antichrist as I am not into gore

Don't read into the hype! The gore parts are like 5 seconds max

IMHO Antichrist is an incredible horror movie. I still can't quite make who's the real monster in that relationship, the ending is an abyss, you will miss some stunning photography and wtf bits that will last you for a lifetime. I never felt impatient watching it unlike other Von Trier films I have seen.

Guest the anonymous forumite

I didn't like Antichrist. The best LVT imo is Dogville. Breaking the Waves is next. Then this one. And then Idiots.

edit: oh, and Europa is pretty fucking cool too.

Don't read into the hype! The gore parts are like 5 seconds max

IMHO Antichrist is an incredible horror movie. I still can't quite make who's the real monster in that relationship, the ending is an abyss, you will miss some stunning photography and wtf bits that will last you for a lifetime. I never felt impatient watching it unlike other Von Trier films I have seen.

so the horror is more subtile? Isn't it about sadism and abuse too?

I didn't like Antichrist. The best LVT imo is Dogville. Breaking the Waves is next. Then this one. And then Idiots.

edit: oh, and Europa is pretty fucking cool too.

ah nice so I will give these a try first

Guest Glass Plate

Yes this movie looks hysterical and I can't wait to see it.

There's also Lav Diaz's Melancholia (2007) that I would like to see. Should watch both in one long marathon. How long is Trier's? (Diaz's is like 7 hours long I think).

Antichrist delights in cruelty but it's not surface and it's not for shock, I think it's mostly fear of women and a joke / inversion of the creation story but your guess will be as good as mine, that's why I said it's an abyss. Of the ones I have seen I would suggest this order

Antichrist

Dogville (maybe too long but the ending is so brilliant it makes up for it)

Manderlay (fun fun fun)

The Five Obstructions

Dancer in the Dark

Breaking the Waves (is HARD TO WATCH)

I want to see the early ones but it feels like he's getting more and more sumptuous with the USA trilogy, also Melancholia has a similar palette to A. I hope this guy keeps trolling and directing until he's 100 years old.

nice to see the love for Dogville, I would've thought it was too slow for watmm. I completely agree with this:

The best LVT imo is Dogville. Breaking the Waves is next.
I would add the Kingdom would follow Breaking the Waves for me.

I also agree with this:

I hope this guy keeps trolling and directing until he's 100 years old.

That's it exactly, he's trolling humanity in the most entertaining and beautiful way possible. It's funny to think back to when Breaking the Waves came out, it was my first Von Trier film and it made me cry (one of the only films to do so), and then I got angry at Von Trier for the clearly mocking chapter titles and ending. But now that I know what he's up to, I find it funny - he's a lovable, contradictory asshole.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a film. You can be put off by one Von Trier movie and completely be in love with another one.

Academic meta-cinema

Element of Crime (trashy euro-noir with perhaps a hint of Bergman influence)

Epidemic (self-reflexive film student wankery - but that's alright)

Europa ("I'll-show-you-I'm-better-than-Hitchcock")

The Boss of it All (cleverly disguised self-mockery)

The Five Obstructions (film theory)

Soul-crushing social genre-drama

Breaking the Waves

The Idiots

Dancer in the Dark (if you have ever cried during a movie, I bet that any of these will do the trick again)

Minimalist theatrical (potentially soul-crushing) ethical social drama

Dogville

Manderlay (these require some patience)

Horror and madness

The Kingdom

Antichrist

(At Cannes the press compared Antichrist with an Argento movie, Trier himself compared it with Tarkovsky... I'd say it combined the best of both worlds)

Though indeed, once you're aware of the extent to which he is really trolling, all of his films can be enjoyed on a similar level.

Haven't seen Melancholia.

I find Trier's seemingly recent interest in Tarkovsky (and the dedication to him in Antichrist) pretty funny. I wonder if he's taking the piss, but if he's not, that makes it more hilarious. The only Tarkovsky elements in it were stylistic, ie the beautiful cinematography. But I think it's safe to say Tarkovsky would have never had a fox growling "Chaos reigns!" in one of his flicks, lol.

I find Trier's seemingly recent interest in Tarkovsky (and the dedication to him in Antichrist) pretty funny. I wonder if he's taking the piss, but if he's not, that makes it more hilarious. The only Tarkovsky elements in it were stylistic, ie the beautiful cinematography. But I think it's safe to say Tarkovsky would have never had a fox growling "Chaos reigns!" in one of his flicks, lol.

The only obvious Tarkovsky reference I could find was the way he uses nature as an almost living entity but purely through visual techniques. There's this shot in The Mirror of wind blowing through trees or bushes, which has a very very strange sort of beauty to it. I think there was a very similar shot in Antichrist.

But as with many Tarkovsky-inpired filmmakers, he's probably more influenced by that book, Sculpting In Time, than by the actual films. Standard art-filmschool material, so I don't think it's a recent interest. Last time I saw Element of Crime, I believe I read some Stalker references into some of the scenes. It's been a while though.

And the fact that Tarkovsky would never even consider a cheesy wtf-scene with a talking-fox is one of the things that bothers me. His films are some of the finest ever made, but I do feel he takes himself too seriously as a poet and an intellectual.

Archived