IGNORED

Melancholia

Squee

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've always found dunst attractive but now it seems she finally looks like a real woman and not so much a young lady.

plus this movies looks great, thanks for the heads up!

awesome he takes the happy mood of the event into this awesome "we all going to die now" thing and it does look very awesome while doing it. I am totally in the mood for this :w00t:

Looks interesting. In the quicker cuts the male lead kept looking like Jim Carrey to me. I lolled at the thought of him being in a Von Trier movie.

that would be even more disturbing lol

Maybe I'm watching a different preview, but this film looks amazingly ponderous, like magnolia except just bunch of white people getting touchy-feely and cavorting around a country club.

always had a boner for her ever since jumanji

yeah i felt like a creep when i rewatched jumanji when i was like 20 or something and still wanted to bang her :facepalm:

Guest ansgaria

Looks fantastic, yet I won't judge before I've seen it. I'm very, very excited about seeing what Trier's take on the end of the world is, what his chronically depressed mind can produce.

kind of disappointed by the trailer. I wished Lars Von Trier tackled another type of science fiction drama rather than the one most favored by Roland Emmerich

i guess i should have been paying more attention when early writings about it described it as an 'art house day after tomorrow'

Maybe I'm watching a different preview, but this film looks amazingly ponderous, like Short Cuts magnolia except just bunch of white people getting touchy-feely and cavorting around a country club.

• 3 weeks later...

Herp derp oh no good looking rich white people herp derp

This film is number one on my to do list at the cinema.

• 4 months later...

saw it at a film festival the other night... was really kind of teenage and ponderous. i haven't seen any other lars von trier stuff just cause i kind of assumed that's what he was like and this only confirmed it for me. it was really kind of one big over-extended 6th form metaphor... the planet is called fucking 'melancholia'

it was definitely quite beautiful-looking and there was kind of the seed of an idea there... but any sort of emotional involvement that was there was - which there was i guess - was less to do with the story or acting and was more just at the level of a '2012' type blockbuster

really disliked the the smallish kind of references that seemed there to try and elevate the film into some sort of esteemed company (that ophelia painting, the wagner etc). when really all that was there as "i know things cause i'm so depressed" and that was it? i was kind of thinking some sort of 'anatomy of melancholy' typing together of view-points was going to eventuate but it never did...

read an interview with von trier in which was kind of trying to say how the film was about how a depressed individual is more suited to disasterish situations? is that not the most mundane statement ever?

am i alone in thinking this?

I still need to see it

Archived