IGNORED

Melancholia

Squee

And the fact that Tarkovsky would never even consider a cheesy wtf-scene with a talking-fox is one of the things that bothers me. His films are some of the finest ever made, but I do feel he takes himself too seriously as a poet and an intellectual.

cool posting

I have tried to watch Solaris and Stalker a couple times each and can't get past the first 15 minutes.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Guest Wall Bird

Best. Ending. Ever.

Most of the theater, laughed once it concluded, though I am confident it was not because of any perceived camp or silliness on Lars' part. This was the laughter of a theater full of people who's minds experienced something completely contrary to what they think should happen. It was laughter as an emotional balancing mechanism. To see the entire planet destroyed in a such a real, visceral way must have been very upsetting. I, for one, had to pick my jaw off of the ground.

Anyways, Lars did a great job.

music was a little over-dramatic.

Ha.

i can kind of relate to the dysfunctional family posh twats part of it and the depression stuff (the whole film basically). i like it but i wouldn't go around saying i like it, apart from now.

:derp::shrug:

Best. Ending. Ever.

Most of the theater, laughed once it concluded, though I am confident it was not because of any perceived camp or silliness on Lars' part. This was the laughter of a theater full of people who's minds experienced something completely contrary to what they think should happen. It was laughter as an emotional balancing mechanism. To see the entire planet destroyed in a such a real, visceral way must have been very upsetting. I, for one, had to pick my jaw off of the ground.

Anyways, Lars did a great job.

music was a little over-dramatic.

Ha.

This

About that laughing - I did laugh when it ended when I saw it 2 weeks ago. But like you say it was no way because I found it funny or silly. It was because I was so overwhelmed with the whole ending scene that just took me over - the speaker system was so good and I was in the front row (not too common to sit there yeah, haha) getting sucked in by the brightness. It was kind of like riding a roller coaster - that kind of laughter-excitement.

I'd give it at least a 7.5/10 - finding the camera technique too distracting at times (making me think about that someone actually is filming).

I think a lot of us have a hidden fear about our world being demolished by space objects. Thank you Lars for bringing this to forefront and helping all of us to know what we are truly afraid of with your films. You sick bastard. I love this film. It scared and scarred me. This is what I expect from Von Trier now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw it tonight having no idea what to expect. I thought it was great! Contrary to some I didn't find it overly pretentious (if it had continued in the vein of the opening montage then it may have been, albeit gorgeous) and the bombastic Wagner music seemed very fitting to me, complementing the dramatic scope of an eschatological event fittingly.

I think a lot of us have a hidden fear about our world being demolished by space objects. Thank you Lars for bringing this to forefront and helping all of us to know what we are truly afraid of with your films. You sick bastard. I love this film. It scared and scarred me. This is what I expect from Von Trier now.

exactly this. I also loved the ending, best use of expensive cgi effects ever.

lol, Im rubber you're glue. so :-P

I guess Gainsbourg was probably the stand out in this. Plus, I love lemon incest.

I like the last ten minutes of his life. That panic and then the quiet.Where'd he go? He was so optimistic.

I loved this film, and it lingered in my head for almost three hours as I tried to sleep. Kirsten Dunst conveyed someone in the depths of depression exceptionally well. I think the only other real end of the world movie I've seen is Dr. Strangelove, which was too funny to be disturbing. This was a whole other experience, and for me it was a unique one. Also, best opening ever --I would happily sit through two hours of that unabashed pretension. Wagner needs more music videos.

• 6 months later...

I have a lot of issues with the film but it is worth it for the final scene.

Maybe all the 'pointless' stuff is von trier carefully shaping up emotions, maybe it actually has some meaning, maybe it actually is pointless, I don't really care or have an opinion on it. In the end it's all worth it.

As many people describe here, I was left with a lot on my mind, which is always a sign of a good film, even if it's not for the right reasons.

I don't think any of it was pointless. I thought it was a nice portrayal on how various different people could react to the helplessness of an inevitable end. Kirsten Dunst accepts it as a blessing, Gainsbourgh is scared shitless and her husband is a coward that tries to rationalise his way out of it until he runs out of reason. I thought the whole build-up was very unsettling. It felt like one of those intense acid trips in which your universe collapses so you try to find a way out at first but have to try and accept it at some point.

There are a few things that didn't work for me though. That whole stuff about the 19th hole should represent the limbo between life and death according to Von Trier. It's a nice idea but it didn't connect for me. Then there's the part in which Kirsten tells Gainsbourgh that she know stuff no one knows, like the number of beans in the jar. I could get behind the idea that nature is disgusting and evil from her angle. But the idea that her melancholia would stem from her being in the known... Still, I don't mind a bit of weird food for thought.

whole act 1 and most of the second as well.

I don't think any of it was pointless. I thought it was a nice portrayal on how various different people could react to the helplessness of an inevitable end. Kirsten Dunst accepts it as a blessing, Gainsbourgh is scared shitless and her husband is a coward that tries to rationalise his way out of it until he runs out of reason. I thought the whole build-up was very unsettling. It felt like one of those intense acid trips in which your universe collapses so you try to find a way out at first but have to try and accept it at some point.

There are a few things that didn't work for me though. That whole stuff about the 19th hole should represent the limbo between life and death according to Von Trier. It's a nice idea but it didn't connect for me. Then there's the part in which Kirsten tells Gainsbourgh that she know stuff no one knows, like the number of beans in the jar. I could get behind the idea that nature is disgusting and evil from her angle. But the idea that her melancholia would stem from her being in the known... Still, I don't mind a bit of weird food for thought.

sure but the movie spends very little time in those portrayals you speak of, and it's not like the rest of the time was spent building the characters to make their reactions understandable either.

there's a lot of stuff that seems to mean or represent something that isn't clear at all and i suspect that even if you give them meaning it won't give any additional force to the film, things like the 19th hole, bathing in melancholia light, horses not crossing bridges and the golf cart breaking at the same point, having sex with a stranger but not with your husband, rearranging picture books and I'm sure i can go on, all this stuff seems really irrelevant to the whole thing which IMO is all about the feeling you're left of when it ends.

Oh, this film.

My girlfriend and I started watching this last week, got about 45 mins into it, and her internet crapped out. Forgot to continue it. Hell, I forgot it even existed until I just saw this thread again.

You guys seem to like it a lot, but it was pretty slow moving. Nothing memorable in the first 45 minutes at least. I guess I might try to finish it, seeing as you all say the ending is what makes it worth it.

*shrug*

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i really liked this film on reflection. the actual watching experience wasn't overly stimulating. The ending looked crap to me though. anticlimax.

Oh, this film.

My girlfriend and I started watching this last week, got about 45 mins into it, and her internet crapped out. Forgot to continue it. Hell, I forgot it even existed until I just saw this thread again.

You guys seem to like it a lot, but it was pretty slow moving. Nothing memorable in the first 45 minutes at least. I guess I might try to finish it, seeing as you all say the ending is what makes it worth it.

*shrug*

i would say just the opposite, the beginning is what makes it worth it with those beautiful colorful slowmo shots. The ending looks like they budget of a Scifi TV movie to me, not a bad movie i almost just wish the screen simply whited out and they didn't show a super cheesy 2003 era cgi blue fireball

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Oh, this film.

*shrug*

i would say just the opposite, the beginning is what makes it worth it with those beautiful colorful slowmo shots. The ending looks like they budget of a Scifi TV movie to me, not a bad movie i almost just wish the screen simply whited out and they didn't show a super cheesy 2003 era cgi blue fireball

the slow-mo intro was boring to me. maybe it would have been better on the BIG screen.

agree on the ending. would planets colliding really look like that? would gravity not change and the people float off the ground? no idea

Archived