IGNORED

AudioGL modular synth and sequencer

soundwave

it reminds me of Rez, im curious to check it out

exactly what I thought (forth world)

I think its either going to be inspiring in a limited fashion or a poncey way of doing the same ole shit

either way I hope it gets finished so we can find out

agreed. the interface seems to be limited to a generic atmosphere, but who knows. perhaps this tool in the right hands could create some lush soundscapes. in terms of innovative, i guess that depends on your own personal definition.

Guest Gbiscuit

Provided the sounds are truly 100% from AudioGL, I can see this being much more usable in a traditional electronic sense then, say, the Audiomulch's of the world. Of course, the only thing I use Audiomulch for is stupid amounts of noisy processing.

if you're going to design a program that's supposed to be innovative and groundbreaking and all that, you should make some music that sounds at all fuckin' impressive or interesting to demonstrate it, not something that could very easily be made in fl studio in a few hours.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Yeah, seems pretty much like putting chrome 3D hologram spinners on your grandma's Buick.

If it was actually approached as a way to make the environment more inspiring, different, useful & somewhat efficient a 3D DAW workspace could potentially be really cool but, I doubt they ever really will be.

..At least not any time very soon. Who knows.

• 1 month later...

That's pretty darn nice (especially the sound of the demo), though pretty much just Jeskola Buzz or Audiomulch with fancy pants pattern/sequencer visuals !

Best of luck to the man though, looks like a pretty solid bit of software he's made.

this looks pretty impressive I think. Each of the modules looks pretty flexible, and sound quality sounds really good too. Def a fancy gui rather than anything completely groundbreaking, but that doesn't mean that a new way of looking at things can't be just as inspiring.

I'm curious to see just how heavy it is, for me that wuld be the deal breaker. The stuff he's got going on there is really cool, but it'd be a shame if you're gonna need to dedicate all your juice to making such complex things.

Very interested to have a go, and test how intuitive it is to use. extra kudos to the guy for doing this all on his own, inspiring in that sense for sure.

• 7 months later...

I agree, I was pretty much suspicious about the need to visualise things in this way but with this latest demo I can kind of see the benefits of this kind of workflow. I mean, it's still not for me (hell at the moment I can't see myself ever migrating from Buzz) but having everything pretty much available just from the one screen (albeit having to rotate the POV) could well have its uses.

Still really intrigued by this. Looks like it would be fun to use, something a bit different. Just having a new set of toys, a new GUI or whatever can be pretty inspirational.

I still think the guy is being pretty bold in launching what would appear to be a completely self contain environment, like reason, no plugins. I think that may end up being the main gripe withi this, that it's hindered by its own ambition. Being completely modular is ace but will become restrictive since building complex synth patches and pretty intensive macros will be a massive CPU load, fill the screen with a load of mess and so on. I'm really hoping that It will be able to run as a plugin itself, or even have the ability to host VSTs in a wrapper... Unlikely though, on the second one at least.

still, all power to the dude, looks like a fkn shit load of effort has gone into this, a pretty unique idea, and looks like a lot of fun.

complex looking spaghetti cable mess patches, daunting to quickly read

i don't think a 3d-perspective-thingy like this will solve that problem. i DO agree that 2d patchcable spaghetti (maxmsp, reaktor, buzz, audiomulch) is a thing of the past, even when working with sub-patches and documentation. it's a relic from the early MAX days.

i'm not sure what a truly efficient future-GUI would look like. holograms, anyone?

Archived