IGNORED

recommend me a mix

Guest Hanratty

Guest Hanratty

I have pulled out my copy of Richie Hawtin - DE9 Transitions mix where he mixes seemingly hundreds of tracks and grabbing little elements of each and blurring the line between track and sample. I was wondering if any digital dj has come close to matching this, even if it's not minimal techno, but made a mix that seamlessly blends lots of little bits into a complicated cohesive chunk of music. For me this is the magic of stuff like Ableton and computer djing. Stuff that could never happen with turntables.

Is there anything else on this level? I am familiar with Hawtin's other mixes.

DJ food - raiding the 20th century (mixing ranges from the sublime to the ridiculously sublime)

watch,repeat play

warp records memorial megamix

girl talk - all day (definitely not minimal techno but his skill as a mashup producer cannot be denied)

DJ food - raiding the 20th century (mixing ranges from the sublime to the ridiculously sublime)

watch,repeat play

I'll see this and raise you one with Coldcut's 70 Minutes of Madness - any mix worth a lick that came after it owes a debt of gratitude - it's one of those greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts that still sounds as fresh the day it came out. 1995!

R-154535-1275419410.jpeg

Guest Hanratty

I've heard both of these and they're both incredible. Also there is a later DJ Food mix called "Now Listen" which is maybe not quite as great, but still great.

watch,repeat play

I'll see this and raise you one with Coldcut's 70 Minutes of Madness - any mix worth a lick that came after it owes a debt of gratitude - it's one of those greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts that still sounds as fresh the day it came out. 1995!

R-154535-1275419410.jpeg

Try the Joris Voorn edition of the 'Balance' series, very similar in structure and idea. Disc 1 is very similar in sound too.

Also, to a lesser extent are Robag Wruhme's most recent mixes, "Metawuffmischfelge" (as Wighnomy Brothers) and "Wuppdekk..something" as Robag Wruhme. Both of these CDs feature layering of tracks, although, as I said, to a much lesser extent. Although they are quite similar in sound to Richie Hawtin albeit much more organic and melodic.

Guest eichel

ilsa gold taking the piss at this years mayday. hilarious mash-up of 100s of oldskool rave-classics/eurodance/poptracks into a 45 minute set. they were reading newspapers on stage while it was playing.

Guest Hanratty

I heard some of She's a Dancing Machine" when it was new and didn't like it at the time. But you are right, it is like DE9-Transitions. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Off topic b/c it is a vinyl mix, but the Robert Hood Fabric Mix is really very good. I don't see it being praised enough.

totally agree on the coldcut album. that one is awesome

it's not really along the lines of the 'computer djing' thing but Brothers Gonna Work it Out by the Chemical Brothers is a favorite in terms of being a great album

totally agree on the coldcut album. that one is awesome

it's not really along the lines of the 'computer djing' thing but Brothers Gonna Work it Out by the Chemical Brothers is a favorite in terms of being a great album

and also in that vein:

The Prodigy Dirtchamber Sessions and

2 Many Djs

The Boomkat Selected Mixtapes series from a few years ago was pretty good. Rob Hall, Bitstream, Modeselektor, DJ Miles were all cracking.

Edit - seems they came out ages ago. arse biscuits. Also, the mixes at http://waxtreatment.de/podcast/ are mostly pretty good. DJ Pete from Substance, Surgeon, 2562, Shed and folk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived