IGNORED

You've Come a Long Way Baby VS. Entroducing

vamos scorcho

I've never been into either album. I especially never really liked DJ shadow even though I was bombarded with "OMG endtroducing was so revolutionary greatest sampling work of all time masterpiece" sort of talk on forums and such and I think I even bought the album but I never really liked it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ill agree with that.

basically whoever said the chem bros were in their prime up to and including Surrender hit the mark...Surrender is still an amazingly solid album..

agreed. 'the sunshine underground' is the most beatlesy thing in existence bar the beatles. amazing track.

ill agree with that.

basically whoever said the chem bros were in their prime up to and including Surrender hit the mark...Surrender is still an amazingly solid album..

agreed. 'the sunshine underground' is the most beatlesy thing in existence bar the beatles. amazing track.

still probably one of my favorite electronic tracks of all time

OH SHIT ITS GOT A DANCE BEAT>>>>>>>>DURR FACEPALM FACEPLAM :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

do somethin you dumb fucks.

Guest dean789

both of fatboy slim's first albums are great and got me into electronic music among other artists

i can't compare both artists. dj shadow's first records are great too but more intellectual? fatboy slim is great party music.

Black Lace, Boney M and Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers are great party music too if you like that sort of thing :lol:

I think I underrate Come With Us. I always liked it but less than the first three, it's still really good though. There are some good moments on the last few as well.

Not to mention the odds and ends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyQrsm70HDs

discovering this track as a kid, trip to the CD store, on your discman, is like travelling to some distant galaxy of sound

Guest Greg Reason

Honestly I don't know about this Chemical Bros are better than DJ Shadow stuff.

I mean apart from the fact that Chems are Dance music and Shadow is anything but......

Endtroducing kills their entire catalog. Sorry.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Endtroducing and Private Press are both better than any Chemical Brothers of Fatboy Slim record.

All of them have really good first two albums and then took a dive. Acid 8000 is a fucking belter.

Also Fatboy Slim samples DJ Shadow on You've Come A Long Way Baby.

See, I am absolutely for endtroducing here, no contest

(and whoever said Big Soup, also correct, bastard of an album)

but I agree with the villification of 90s big beat happenings. That sort of early 90s samplemashing rave I think is a wonderfully rich artistic seam which gets a bit degraded by its reputation as bargain basement dance music.

You can find 100s of music like DJ Shadow

You cannot, however, find 100s of music like Chemical Brothers.

I'm just continuing this discussion. In no way do I dislike Entroducing... as an album. I personally feel a little bit on the 'other side' across from it. I've always liked it, since I was a kid. But it's not totally my style. It plays it too cool and safe for my tastes.

In a C Bros track you're liable to hear sounds you didn't even think were possible. Can somebody tell me how they made the synth in 'Elektrobank?' That sound still fills me with glee.

Every corner you turn there's something new going on. Entroducing has always struck me more as a 'relax/turn brain off' album.

I love the 'klangs' in the track 'Dig Your Own Hole.' The Cbros rather directly 'send up' Kraftwerk in several of their songs ['Music Response'].

5:00 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YIqk_tMa8M

1:00 or so

I've always noticed the similarity there. not sure if it's purposeful.

I love the 'klangs' in the track 'Dig Your Own Hole.' The Cbros rather directly 'send up' Kraftwerk in several of their songs ['Music Response'].

5:00 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YIqk_tMa8M

1:00 or so

I've always noticed the similarity there. not sure if it's purposeful.

The Chemical Brothers are known to be huge Kraftwerk fans. They've mentioned that a lot.

fucking and fucking and fucking and fucking

lolz

endtroducing. seeing dj shadow on friday. mega hyped.

i'm also seeing the chemical brothers on saturday. it's a very 90s weekend.

^that's :w00t:

both artists are largely sample based. the purpose of the thread title was to draw attention to the near consensual acceptance of the opinion that DJ Shadow is/was a great artist and Fatboy Slim is an outdated 90s jokester making beat music for retards. I am challenging this widely accepted and never questioned criticism with this thread. I believe Fatboy Slim and other 'breakbeat/ big beat' musicians were artists as well.Fatboy Slim in particular has a pretty bad rap. At some point it seems like people started thinking of his music as a novelty/joke. Of course it kind of invites that with the fun genre blending. However, I am arguing that his music has a great deal of 'artistry' going on behind the scenes. I would argue that "Praise You" is as good a song [in a different way] than the best tracks on Entroducing... ["What Does Your Soul Look Like"]Of course the songs on Entroducing... are based around a smooth and cool feel. They do not approach 'big' or 'rocking' sounds as Fatboy does on YCALWB. I think Fatboy carries out his end of the bargain just as well as DJ Shadow carries out his.

Part of DJ Shadow's appeal was his bedroom producer background, it's probably why he was so hyped and Fatboy Slim, whose music career as a bassist and DJ was far more established. It's lumped in with trip-hop and also seen, in retrospect, as a reaction to attempt to kill sampling in the late 80's/early 90s. It has some epic tracks, but in general, it doesn't have the same energy as Fatboy Slim's production. Not to mention Fatboy Slim and the other big beat guys made "electronica" fun and danceable, after this came Moby's Play which almost seems like a combo of DJ Shadow and Fatboy Slim's sounds.

chemical brothers tiesto represents everything that is wrong with electronic musici don't get it
fix'd that for ya :sup:

yep. and also, what is supposed to be "right" about electronic music, if the chemical brothers are so wrong?

"Block Rockin Beats" is a true work of art. It was played on radios. Does it sound like a pop song to anybody? It sounds like some noisey experimental electronic shit on top of gigantic breaks. The sounds during the chorus challenge Autechre in some ways, in terms of the electronic noisiness of them. I don't think it gets any cooler in music than having an electronic based song this abstract being played on the radio around the world.

Enough talking authoritatively. I'm quite arrogant and confident in my views on the 90s big beat happenings and it often seems like I'm very much in the minority. It just astounds me that music this brilliant and loud and most of all... electronically instrumental... was ever popular.

Simon Reynolds was all about the Chemical Brothers when they emerged, to him it was a throwback to the fun, excitement, and lack of pretentiousness of the rave era. The Chems in particular stand way apart from later action-film-OST guys like the Crystal Method and Propellerheads simply because they've progressed: they returned to house, made excellent pop singles ("Let Forever Be" is a classic) and even now they still put out quality music. Their production on Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole still blows away so many of the best efforts from even the most studio-oriented EDM and hip-hop producers today.

I'm with you Vamos on giving big beat artists their due. It led me into electronic music (albeit a belated introduction from when the scene emerged) and I've been reluctant to really embrace it for awhile. Always have championed the Chems though.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I was really disappointed with Surrender when it came out, I remember me and a friend left his copy out on the pavement and watched it for a few hours but nobody even picked it up

.... after this came Moby's Play which almost seems like a combo of DJ Shadow and pan pipe moods.

:sorcerer:

funny there seems to be a every once in a while a pretty non descript album like Endtroducing that gets hyped so much to shit, creates a snowball effect of regurgitation appreciation and then is slated as a 'big time classic' and makes all these top 20 lists, it is possible one of the most overrated 'electronic' albums on this side of the planet. Organ grinder is an alright track, but i mean really is DJ shadow's entroducing really that amazing? or is it because you heard it when you were just getting into electronic music?

funny there seems to be a every once in a while a pretty non descript album like Endtroducing that gets hyped so much to shit, creates a snowball effect of regurgitation appreciation and then is slated as a 'big time classic' and makes all these top 20 lists, it is possible one of the most overrated 'electronic' albums on this side of the planet. Organ grinder is an alright track, but i mean really is DJ shadow's entroducing really that amazing? or is it because you heard it when you were just getting into electronic music?

I listen to it pretty often and I'd have to say I think it deserves its place as a classic. ok, naturally any album in its position as the first to be composed entirely of samples (which is only sorta true) is going to get more cred than it deserves but I also could pick a whole bunch of reasons as to why it shouldn't be looked down upon. i've also given this album to friends without telling them what it was and they got back to me and told me they loved it so I don't know if it's just because of the hype.

what don't you dig about it anyway?

if thats the case, i liked the Avalanches' Since I Left You more than Shadow.

just me though

Guest Greg Reason

That's funny cause I think Organ Grinder is one of his worst tracks

I heard Endtroducing really late, I had actually heard The Private Press first and went backwards. But that was many years ago and I've had plenty of time for it all to sink in and to consider it in the scheme of things.

I think the obvious answer is that this comes down to taste. I like what Shadow did with the atmosphere on that record. 'Midnight in a Perfect World' is a good one to sum up what I'm talking about. I like the vibe. I don't give a fuck how many people could have made that record, the fact is he made it and when it gets there it feels perfect to me.

Since when has music been about skill?! If this is the case why don't we all just listen to Dream Theatre and be done with it?

Or do people get offended because *some people* refer to it as an electronic album? Take it for what it is, a chilled instrumental Hip-Hop album with a chill vibe. How do the labels affect the contents anyway?

I'm not directing all this at you Rob and I respect your opinions even when I don't agree with them. Just wanted to get this off my chest re: entire thread.

*naturally when I say "Endtroducing kills The Chems entire catalog" I don't literally think this is true. They're completely fucking different beasts. Both are good in their place. But I personally rather listen to this one over the Bros any day of the week, that's just indicative of my taste.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I remember me and a friend left his copy out on the pavement and watched it for a few hours

:facepalm:

I don't consider this a valid response to anything

I 100% agree with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQqouYWS6E

There's no skill in just taking a good riff like that. When he found that sample his track was pretty much completed. The drum programming on it is pretty unimpressive even when compared with something like early Prodigy...

Archived