IGNORED

The Thing 2011 prequel

soundwave

I think whoever is behind this prequel knows the audience will be a little more discerning than the average popcorn muncher as the apparent attention to detail from the best elements of the Carpenter film which made it a cult classic seem to be addressed.

On the other hand I hope its not another Predators style imitation with a half arsed cast.

This film will hinge on the authenticity and scariness SFX imho.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do wish Bottin was involved, but they even tried to give Carpenter a cameo. From what I've read, the new director was obsessed with the original film, and kept a laptop full of screen caps from the 1982 film on set at all times. Give them a break until you see the film for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Those that have seen it already are saying it's good and works perfectly with the Carpenter version. Has the same kind of tension and paranoia but different enough to set it apart from the Carpenter movie. They apparently explore the ship it came in.

They sorta did this in the original too... when they found it by the Swedish camp...

so either it wasn't anything to write home about, or not many people here have seen it. Rotten Tomatoes has it at around 30%, and *gasp* harry from aintitcoolnews hated it, anyone who goes to that site will know that is extremely rare for him to do. so maybe that means its actually good?

I have 2 friends who saw it that told me it was great, but its still not enough to convince me

I have been reading "Shadow Over Innsmouth" today by Lovecraft and think I might have to cap off my fish-cult induced fear with this film. I am expecting it to be shit compared to the original. Hopefully it is better than that. And my sentiments exactly Robbie, if Harry hates it, it must be worth watching.

I liked it, yes the CG was weak but it was a fun scary popcorn movie. Definitely more of a sci-fi slant than Carpenter's, which I thought was refreshing. Definitely watch the '82 before going to this, many tie-ins for the fans, probably the best part about it.

yeah, for those who are hesitant, go see it. It's so much more ambitious and respectful of the source material than most modern prequels/remakes. I just recently saw The Thing from 1951 and this movie does a good job of paying homage to both films, in some ways it's a lot more tonally like the original Thing than the Carpenter one. There were some really cool moments in the film, and while some of the CGI was iffy there were aspects of it that were very impressive to me. It's rare for cgi to actually be grotesque enough looking to gross me out, but some parts of the Thing thinging out reminded me of the part in King Kong where the cook gets him arm eaten off by a swamp worm

I think whoever is behind this prequel knows the audience will be a little more discerning than the average popcorn muncher as the apparent attention to detail from the best elements of the Carpenter film which made it a cult classic seem to be addressed.

i had little faith but this statement looking back is totally true, at least they tried to thicken the movie out with good Thing throwbacks, i don't know if it will entertain everybody.

Archived