IGNORED

The Thing 2011 prequel

soundwave

I just watched the original again on TV the other night... this remake will never top the original.

Not that the original was any groundbreaking cinema to begin with, mind you...

Are you talking about the 1950s one?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched the original again on TV the other night... this remake will never top the original.

Sorry, no - the 1982 John Carpenter/Kirk Russel version.

Guest Wall Bird

God, what ever happened to mystery?

Isn't there a better way to construct trailers in which they don't have to reveal which characters have turned or how they die, not to mention all of the effects shots?

It may not be "ground breaking" in terms of what it is, but it has some of the most original and iconic special effects that don't rely on CGI, that we will ever see now.

It may not be "ground breaking" in terms of what it is, but it has some of the most original and iconic special effects that don't rely on CGI, that we will ever see now.

I wasn't slighting it on it's special effects - more along the lines of the story itself.

And yeah, Kurt - how could I forget? :facepalm:

God, what ever happened to mystery?

Isn't there a better way to construct trailers in which they don't have to reveal which characters have turned or how they die, not to mention all of the effects shots?

I watched The Devil's Backbone yesterday on DVD and it reveals one of the films jump moments before the menu.

The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys. The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.

aw wassa matta

The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys. The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.The last place you wanna be, is couped up with a dozen Norwegian guys.

• 2 weeks later...

^Bit different. TPM had no real reason for mimicking shots besides that silly "rhyming moments" thing Lucas tried to pull, put this Thing prequel takes place three days before the original so being consistent is a good idea. Not saying the dude having the same beard & funky glasses guarantees a good movie, but I'll give the costume department an A for Affort.

There are some other details already discussed, the ax in the door, the face split in half. Also remember Russell found the VCR the Nords used to film their entire find, as well as setting charges to blow up the ice covering the ship. That seems to be the big set piece in this prequel.

I'm happy I never saw the remakes of Assault On Precinct 13 or Halloween, so I'll be happy to ignore this inevitably offensive effort as well (forget the 50s version which was a bit crap, JC made it his own).

Those that have seen it already are saying it's good and works perfectly with the Carpenter version. Has the same kind of tension and paranoia but different enough to set it apart from the Carpenter movie. They apparently explore the ship it came in.

Those that have seen it already are saying it's good and works perfectly with the Carpenter version. Has the same kind of tension and paranoia but different enough to set it apart from the Carpenter movie. They apparently explore the ship it came in.

those that say paranormal activity also said that it was 'scary', in fact a good majority of them did

Archived