IGNORED

radiohead / colbert show

keltoi

I gotta say, this is the first new stuff (is it new?) I've heard from them in a long time that I enjoyed.

I normally get turned off by the whole dark, arty, introspective thing they seem to always do.

This song had a pretty good groove and Thom's voice seemed like it was less of a caricature of itself than usual.

:flamehelment:

I see Phil Selway invested in a clone. Good move.

lol

http://www.colbertna...-2011-radiohead

Hopefully that works? The first interview was super funny.

nope but ta for trying.

the show is available from the usual torrent sites. what's the problem?

*not posting a link* :fear:

it's like i'm teetotal and people keep offering me whisky.

Dr. Pepper Flavor Zone

radiohead-colbert_510.jpg

That one intro, that went something like this: "This song is named after the British newspaper The Daily Mail, which like other British newspapers is delivered by owl."

That whole episode was brilliant.

Is Colbert really hocking Dr. Pepper, seriously or otherwise?

No, it's part of his character bit as Stephen Colbert but for all I know Dr. Pepper could very well be sponsoring the show anyway.

He asked Yorke what he thought of Dr. Pepper becoming the official drink of Radiohead and he said "tastes like that stuff you get at the dentist" to which Colbert replied, "Well, dentists are doctors."

Guest Wall Bird

Is Colbert really hocking Dr. Pepper, seriously or otherwise?

No, it's part of his character bit as Stephen Colbert but for all I know Dr. Pepper could very well be sponsoring the show anyway.

Yeah, it's kind of a lose/lose situation in my eyes. Whether it's done ironically or not it's still Stephen Colbert raising awareness of a Coke product. It's like that scene in Wayne's World where Wayne and Garth are talking to their producer about how lame it is to sell out while their monologue is interspersed with various product placements. I don't care how funny that may be, the fact is that they almost certainly made money off them playing it off as uncool and that makes it pretty lame when all is said and done.

Lame? But what if....Colbert couldnt' pay Radiohead and Dr. Pepperhead had to step in to make it all work (under the condition of...)?

yeah, sponsoring and all that. it's evil and lame.

Oh come on, it's funny, and I don't think anyone is going to watch the show and go out and buy a Dr. Pepper.

THE WHO SELLS OUT IS DUMB BECAUSE IRONIC OR NOT THEY ARE GIVING EXPOSURE TO HEINZ

ffs

Playing sandpaper helps too. For me, it really tends to reset my mind. Like scrambling your neurons into some tabula rasa status. After a good sandpaper set I really need to relearn how to tie my shoes and all that.

Yeah, i was trying to blur out the sound of the birds whilst attempting to sleep the other morning. I've tried scratching the the sheets for some white noise. But this time was drumming my fingers on the metal leg of my desk that i'd reached across to.

It didn't work, but sometimes it gets to the point that you'll try anything.

I think it was all more in the vein of that new Spurlock Documentary, where he discussed product placement and advertising and despite the likely critical nature of the documentary, he received corporate sponsorship and cooperation from almost every company featured in the film. Colbert was being completely sarcastic, but there's a good chance Dr. Pepper was like "sweet, product placement opportunity."

The interviews were really bad. They're so nervous. Plus I think they should stick to making music, and not be hypocrites when it comes to climate and possible climate change. They are not scientists. How'd they know? And they fly all over the world for massive gigs. It's just stupid when musicians go all political without any substantial knowledge about the difficult matter.

The interviews were really bad. They're so nervous. Plus I think they should stick to making music, and not be hypocrites when it comes to climate and possible climate change. They are not scientists. How'd they know? And they fly all over the world for massive gigs. It's just stupid when musicians go all political without any substantial knowledge about the difficult matter.

Haha, the interviews were definitely awkward. I hear what you're saying as far as their political shit but they do seem to be as informed as busy non-scientists can be. Thom goes to conferences and shit, but obviously he's not a good spokesman on the spot.

And I agree on the carbon footprint but in fairness to Radiohead, they have in the past not done gigs because of the unnecessary travel. For example a few years ago they were on Conan via satellite and made a point to mention it was because they didn't want to travel across the Atlantic for just one gig. No other band of their stature would even consider turning down publicity for that reason, in my opinion.

I believe that's why they are playing a lot of different shows/gigs in this big chunk this time around. I'm sure they tried to cut down on travel impact as much as they could while still being "out there". For whatever that's worth.

Haha, the interviews were definitely awkward. I hear what you're saying as far as their political shit but they do seem to be as informed as busy non-scientists can be. Thom goes to conferences and shit, but obviously he's not a good spokesman on the spot.

And I agree on the carbon footprint but in fairness to Radiohead, they have in the past not done gigs because of the unnecessary travel. For example a few years ago they were on Conan via satellite and made a point to mention it was because they didn't want to travel across the Atlantic for just one gig. No other band of their stature would even consider turning down publicity for that reason, in my opinion.

I believe that's why they are playing a lot of different shows/gigs in this big chunk this time around. I'm sure they tried to cut down on travel impact as much as they could while still being "out there". For whatever that's worth.

Yeah, for a few reasons, included the ones above, Yorke and Radiohead's activism doesn't bother me. They've been sincere about it for awhile and incorporate it into their art, they don't make the rounds on news outlets like Bono or other celebrities or really push it on their audience. Seems like more of a "well I believe/practice this, feel free to ask me about it" attitude.

Also, the interview was hilarious. As awkward as it was a lot of it was intended, and it would of been dreadful on just about any other show.

Archived