IGNORED

The Human Body Carries 10 Times More Bacterial Cells Than Human Cells

Redruth

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

As a kid I went to a science museum, and some guy told us there was 1.5 (or more, don't remember) kg of bacteriae (right?) in our bowel. To illustrate this he had some big jelly thing that weighed about that much, and it is really fucking much. (btw noone dared touch it because they thought it was actually made up of bacteriae lol)

Guest fiznuthian

you'd think we'd be bit more alarmed considering the millions of little critters crawling round inside us. not as if there is anything we can do about it. this is a strange place in this

They have more than likely been there for the entire existence of our species evolution. Every mammal has gut flora.

Our relationship with the bacteria is very much a symbiotic one, most of which is mutualistic and commensal..

All this talk about digestion these days, jokes about uneasy shits, etc.. Without the biofilms that colonize our guts most of the food we eat is useless to us. Gut bacteria also synthesize vitamins which are useful to our body, an entire spectrum of vitamins in fact. Gut flora plays a vital role in the health of our immune system, digestive capability, states of inflammation, and i've seen evidence that they have even formed a relationship with our brain i.e. affecting our mood, emotional states, and stress response. Our intestines are lined with nervous tissue. We have neurons in the gut and the network is called the enteric nervous system. The enteric nervous system also makes use of neurotransmitters, many of which are the exact same that our CNS uses.. Some 90% of seratonin, and 50% of dopamine is found being utilized there.

Just remember this stuff when you decide to eat another broad spectrum anti-biotic... :cry:

Guest fiznuthian
Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has been utilized sporadically for over 50 years. In the past few years, Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) epidemics in the USA and Europe have resulted in the increased use of FMT, given its high efficacy in eradicating CDI and associated symptoms. As more patients request treatment and more clinics incorporate FMT into their treatment repertoire, reports of applications outside of CDI are emerging, paving the way for the use of FMT in several idiopathic conditions. Interest in this therapy has largely been driven by new research into the gut microbiota, which is now beginning to be appreciated as a microbial human organ with important roles in immunity and energy metabolism. This new paradigm raises the possibility that many diseases result, at least partially, from microbiota-related dysfunction. This understanding invites the investigation of FMT for several disorders, including IBD, IBS, the metabolic syndrome, neurodevelopmental disorders, autoimmune diseases and allergic diseases, among others. The field of microbiota-related disorders is currently in its infancy; it certainly is an exciting time in the burgeoning science of FMT and we expect to see new and previously unexpected applications in the near future. Well-designed and well-executed randomized trials are now needed to further define these microbiota-related conditions.

Shit in a capsule is the next big thing in medicine.. mark my words, you heard it from me first.

http://www.nature.com/nrgastro/journal/v9/n2/full/nrgastro.2011.244.html

Guest fiznuthian

y'all should be less concerned about bacteria and more concerned about the shit we're using to kill it:

http://www.cbsnews.c...t-in-mice-fish/

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

http://www.washingto...0040704621.html

tricolsan is found in the urine of 75% of our population but it may disrupt muscle growth and the endocrine system.

Yes, thank you! Seriously, fuck this shit.

Guest fiznuthian

Anyone here willing to be my donor for fecal transplant? We can share poop and create an ultimate immune system..

I've been eating EXTRA bacteria every day just to get my shit right, literally.

Probiotics?

Or fecal bacteriotherapy ? AKA Shit in a capsule.. :wub:

Probiotics, yep. 2.25 billion sour little critters in every tablespoon. I hope they like it in my gut.

Anyone here willing to be my donor for fecal transplant? We can share poop and create an ultimate immune system..

))((

Guest fiznuthian

I've been eating EXTRA bacteria every day just to get my shit right, literally.

Probiotics?

Or fecal bacteriotherapy ? AKA Shit in a capsule.. :wub:

Probiotics, yep. 2.25 billion sour little critters in every tablespoon. I hope they like it in my gut.

))((

Hey you should try making your own kefir with kefir grains.. they're cheap and it only takes approx. 24 hours of fermentation to complete. Very quick and makes for a much cheaper, more effective probiotic anyway.. one quart of kefir usually has many billions of organisms.

I'm about to buy some from Cultures for Health, their cultures are absolutely loaded with symbiotic bacteria and yeasts.. can't wait to try it :wub: Just look at this list!

Bacteria

Species Lactobacillus

Lb. acidophilus

Lb. brevis [Possibly now Lb. kefiri]

Lb. casei subsp. casei

Lb. casei subsp. rhamnosus

Lb. paracasei subsp. paracasei

Lb. fermentum

Lb. cellobiosus

Lb. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus

Lb. delbrueckii subsp. lactis

Lb. fructivorans

Lb. helveticus subsp. lactis

Lb. hilgardii

Lb. helveticus

Lb. kefiri

Lb. kefiranofaciens subsp. kefirgranum

Lb. kefiranofaciens subsp. kefiranofaciens

Lb. parakefiri

Lb. plantarum

Species Streptococcus

St. thermophilus

St. paracitrovorus

Species Lactococcus

Lc. lactis subsp. lactis

Lc. lactis subsp. lactis biovar. diacetylactis

Lc. lactis subsp. cremoris

Species Enterococcus

Ent. durans

Species Leuconostoc

Leuc. mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

Leuc. mesenteroides subsp. mesenteroides

Leuc. dextranicum

Yeasts

Dekkera anomala / Brettanomyces anomalus

Kluyveromyces marxianus / Candida kefyr

Pichia fermentans / C. firmetaria

Yarrowia lipolytica / C. lipolytica

Debaryomyces hansenii / C. famata

Deb. [schwanniomyces] occidentalis

Issatchenkia orientalis / C. krusei

Galactomyces geotrichum / Geotrichum candidum

C. friedrichii

C. rancens

C. tenuis

C. humilis

C. inconspicua

C. maris

Cryptococcus humicolus

Kluyveromyces lactis var. lactis

Kluyv. bulgaricus

Kluyv. lodderae

Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Sacc. subsp. torulopsis holmii

Sacc. pastorianus

Sacc. humaticus

Sacc. unisporus

Sacc. exiguus

Sacc. turicensis sp. nov

Torulaspora delbrueckii

Zygosaccharomyces rouxii

Acetobacter

Acetobacter aceti

Acetobacter rasens

This site has some interesting info, just might want to fact check things.. haven't looked over it too well myself.

Kefir has a long history though. And it basically tastes just like a strong yogurt, if not better IMO.

Guest fiznuthian

god that bacteria list is making me horny

It's possible to put kefir grains in your butt and have them colonize your intestine.. just sayin'

there was a weird news item on the radio that basically just said theres shit in peoples phones

there's shit everywhere!

i advise people not to flush their toilet before closing the lid after taking a dump.

especially if you leave your toothbrush out and nearby.

work doesn't have lids on the toilets but the bowl isn't that deep and the flush is really powerful. i guess the no lid thing is to simplify cleaning but it's actually pretty disgusting.

im considering just going down by the lake where the various types of birds shit and.. shit there i suppose.

at least i wouldn't hear someone else shit. the birds don't grunt whilst whilst they shit.

god that bacteria list is making me horny

It's possible to put kefir grains in your butt and have them colonize your intestine.. just sayin'

what about in my dick and colonize my balls?

Archived