IGNORED

new korg monotrons

YEK

Guest analogue wings

the 1/8" input jack is kinda lame though, also - i'm curious how the filter really sounds.

it sounds incredibly bassy and huge through real speakers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest igloos unlmtd

so does my sh-101.. ; )

i'm talking about the input though... i'll mix ever track in a song through my filters & going down to 1/8" would just bum me out.

I have the frost wave filter pedal & the funk-a-duck, but I have more fun with the monotron.

Guest igloos unlmtd

had the funk a duck & that didn't really work out for me...

how do you think the filters sounds between the two - the korg & the frostwave?

Guest analogue wings

the noise floor is pretty high. i've been waiting for the mod where you swap out the cheap opamp for a higher specced one with the same pinouts...

the frost wave is much cleaner and easier to control, my monotron very easily distorts the input signal to fuck and as posted above it's very noisy, the lfo on the monotron makes up for that though + I like my stuff dirty and distorted. I'd say the filter sounds very similar as far as frequency response goes, but it's kind of hard to A/B test because they're so different in execution, and obviously there's no high pass on the monotron.

Guest analogue wings

also it's an effect, not a studio grade processor you're going to "mix ever track in a song" through. no different to putting a signal through a stompbox, which people do all the time. if you want to filter a whole mix in pristine studio quality stop crying and get one of these

moog_theladder.jpg

myfileIMG_4266.jpg

469d1043062572-mutronics-mutator-mutator.jpg

And I'm not calling the lack of CV/gate a con necessarily, I just think it's stupid that while they're making these things, they're probably more than halfway there - by marking those spots on the circuitboard. Why not just add it in the process?

How many years/dollars have Korg spent convincing "proper" musicians (those who would use CV/Gate or MIDI) that they don't need real analogue because the boring grey boxes at the top of Korg's food chain sound just as good?

They aren't going to just let some upstart young engineer slap midi on a true analogue box and undermine all those years of bullshitting

Not sure, I think it would make a huge improvement on their sales. And profit - depending on how much it would cost to add CV/gate or MIDI.

If it had CV/Gate or MIDI, I would just get two of these things, and I would have a Monotron DUO

No you wouldnt. :facepalm:

Didn't really scan the specs, you're right, it would not be a Monotron DUO :facepalm::facepalm:

lack of envelope is ok as long as you can create an envelope with the knobs, i think its more fun that way, anyway...

the 1/8" input jack is kinda lame though, also - i'm curious how the filter really sounds.

i have two of the frost wave ms-20 filter clones & they are amazing. you can add the right amount of overdrive with the volume knob, i think this is really where the sweetness of the filter is... they also have cv but unfortunately he doesn't make them anymore.

but really i can't image wanting to patch anything into this battery powered korg unit with a 1/8" cable or using an 1/8" adapter.... i'm sure some kid will end up doing something amazing with it though.

[youtubehd]Zn4D79Jgn_4[/youtubehd]

Not amazon, but a good start. And that's the OG Monotron. :sup:

This one should be kind of interesting for people slagging off the £45 hipster toy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6XCj5LjOo

They say the following about the Duo:

"The monotron DUO's ribbon controller keyboard now features the familiar Scale function used on the KAOSSILATOR. You can use this button to select one of four scales: Chromatic, Major, Minor, or Off. Choose the Chromatic scale to play precise pitches as on a piano, or choose Major or Minor to generate musically coherent phrases by simply sliding your finger around on the keyboard."

No real keys, but at least you can play in tune. I did something similar with my "old" monotron by running it through an automatic pitch correction vst (haha). Interesting also that the Delay has yet a different ribbon (four octaves).

Same website:

"Wide-Range Ribbon Keyboard

The monotron DELAY's ribbon controller keyboard features a wide, four-octave range. This design allows the pitch to be controlled even more aggressively and dynamically, making the monotron DELAY a great weapon for a DJ to get the floor moving with irresistible sound. The reversed white keys and body adornments glows under black light illumination, making the monotron DELAY ideal for delivering a striking visual impact in nearly any club environment."

Same website:

"Wide-Range Ribbon Keyboard

The monotron DELAY's ribbon controller keyboard features a wide, four-octave range. This design allows the pitch to be controlled even more aggressively and dynamically, making the monotron DELAY a great weapon for a DJ to get the floor moving with irresistible sound. The reversed white keys and body adornments glows under black light illumination, making the monotron DELAY ideal for delivering a striking visual impact in nearly any club environment."

I would love to beat to death with a cordless phone all the marketing departments of every musical equipment manufacturer on the planet. Why do they always write that stupid droll shit. Don't they realize how incredibly stupid it sounds?

Guest Dogboy73

The Monotron Delay looks really interesting. Important to remember that these things have inputs as well. That was an excellent feature on the original monotron. Yuo could make some awesome drones by feeding the output back into the input. With the output split you could route this to your mixer/DAW or whatever. Very cool. These will be moded to bggery as well just lke the original Monotron.

The Monotron Delay looks really interesting. Important to remember that these things have inputs as well. That was an excellent feature on the original monotron. Yuo could make some awesome drones by feeding the output back into the input. With the output split you could route this to your mixer/DAW or whatever. Very cool. These will be moded to bggery as well just lke the original Monotron.

i read "feeding the output back into the input" and was like wait... then i read "output split" and i was like OHHHH.

I gave up and finally bought one of these (I mean, the original one). And OH GOD IT IS FUN.

I'm spending hours tweaking those little knobs and yeah, it sounds alot like the "real" MS10 and makes me really happy.

Now my little brother also wants one for Christmas...Hope he'll get the Delay or Duo !

Archived