IGNORED

Did Shobaleader One ever tour as a band?

Guest Backson

Guest Backson

people saying that "it sounds like daft punk" are so idiotic. the only similarity is the robotic garb.

this, this, a million times this.

i have everything that DP have done, and that is the most superficial bullshit.

but yeah, i'm a big fan of the Shobalbum. Awesome songwriting.

Also, fuck Anthony Fantano.

i mean... i like daft punk. not their really popular tracks. digital love is a favorite. and this:

but it's just an uninformed, stupid comparison. for any serious listener of daft punk who is also a serious SP listener, it's just nauseating.

he doesn't have to master everything the way most younger producer's would. it's all very deliberate and it's too bad that more people didn't stick with him on it.

i still think about the fantasy band.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

bof bof bof... sorry, but when it came out, i was happy... first listen, i was happy... after several listening, i say myself where is the innovation? Is it really Squarepusher album? - Now, it's in garbage, because it's a shit! The one & only "Squarepusher" album which is rotten... & finished 2 understand that's not a squarepusher album, but as he told, a Squarepusher's virtual band album... THE LOOSE!!!

Guest DotRR

I liked D'demonstrator for the most part. I think the sort of tight and stripped down 909 drums was really just a component of a particular sound asthetic. I cant say I hope he returns and makes another ablum like this and I wouldnt say that about anything else (Go Plastic..) he has done either. I like the fact that Jenkinson does what we wants and keeps moving on. Ufabulum is gonna be great!

Perhaps the irony of Shobaleader was lost on us - most people not affiliated with electronic music are generally surprised to find out the music they are hearing is the product of one person, and so Tom riffed on this idea by saying Shobaleader was a band, when in reality it was just him and him alone.

I'm thinking maybe somehow we're seeing the remains of what could've been the shobaleader one live setup in the dark steering video. I don't know how well shobaleader one did financially? My guess is it underperformed terribly, and they (the pr/label/management people) had all this stuff lined up ready to go, which is now being recycled for the new album.

Yah, that's my one conspiracy theory for 2012. Pretty harmless.

My god you guys can be bitter sometimes. Take it for what it is: a fun synthpop album with slight prog elements. I would have liked to hear the sound evolve a bit more—more towards the jazz-fusion/prog stuff, maybe some longer songs, etc but I still give it a listen every now and then!

Guest CraniumXII

My god you guys can be bitter sometimes. Take it for what it is: a fun synthpop album with slight prog elements. I would have liked to hear the sound evolve a bit more—more towards the jazz-fusion/prog stuff, maybe some longer songs, etc but I still give it a listen every now and then!

I'm with you Modey... I liked quite a few tracks. Not as Squarepusher, but as Shobaleader. They are separate projects, and I think many people didn't grasp that.

I hope the project continues... as I really enjoyed Alex Thomas on drums, and the Japan Benefit really showed a lot of promise.

Archived