IGNORED

Looking for a timestretcher

Guest 277: 930-933

melodyne really that good?

what about for noisy samples, i've been told that for audio that has a higher noise factor (ie the radio i currently need to use) granulation is better than FFT (i'm assume melodyne is fft).

also is melodyne realtime?

it depends on what the end result your looking for is. If you want it to sound noticably time stretched you can use pretty much anything. if you want it to sound natural Melodyne is probably the best non hardware time stretcher availible. If you are "stretching" a drum loop or beat, beat-slice stretching is the best way to go, if you are using sparse enough drum loops its almost totally transparent and sounds very natural.

Melodyne does a combination of spectral and granulation. Most granulation alone for time stretching is always going to have that shitty low quality ragga jungle effect. the only one ive used that sounds good and natural that is pure granulation is Cooledit pro/adobe audition. The people who made that 24 hours of beetoven thing claimed it was purely granular synteheis, but honestly i think it used frequency spectral information as well, they just dont want to reveal too much about the secret behind that release.

you don't need a separate plugin to do this in real time.

i did a tutorial for this on an older version of the board and i'm not about to retype it, but you can manually produce this effect (with more control) by punching in a succession of midi notes (64th notes for example) all triggering the same sample and then rotating the sample start knob on your sampler.

try different spacing between notes and different note length for variation.

melodyne is pretty cool, and there's something called melodyne bridge which is a vst plugin. you can use it to bounce shit to melodyne and back. the timestretching is real time.

i did a tutorial for this on an older version of the board and i'm not about to retype it, but you can manually produce this effect (with more control) by punching in a succession of midi notes (64th notes for example) all triggering the same sample and then rotating the sample start knob on your sampler.

Which is even more super easy with a tracker. Just use the 9xx command, and choose a start/end point and length and interpolate the little bastard. Haven't use that in a while actually.

you don't need a separate plugin to do this in real time.

try different spacing between notes and different note length for variation.

that isnt in real time though, youd need a sample of something prexsisting to do it. I think he was asking for a plugin that does it as an effect and would even work with live input. I could be mistaken though.

• 8 years later...

this little soft looks pretty cool, too bad it's not real time but I'll probably make some samples with it. I tried a couple of times to get that slow-down time-stretched sound in Renoise with retriggering a sound and playing with sample offset and gating but it's a lot to program if you want the sound to have some life. I love that sound when applied to vocals.

The problem with quality timestretching is that it's never realtime, but also, the timestretching itself never gets accomplished. Cuz a lot of people think that timestretching plugins manipulate audio by flinging around bits, but what they actually do, is that they slow down spacetime itself, playback the audio in that dimension, then the audio is recorded in your "regular spacetime" dimension. But due to interference in resonant frequencies of the respective spacetime dimensions (sort of like beats due to two different audio frequencies being played at the same time), there arises an error from dimensional branches self-referencing dielectric counterspace in centripetal velocity, and the recorded timestretched audio only completes about 99 percent (known as the asymptote of timestretching ballsack algorithm). So at their very best, timestretching plugins are mere approximations-- but the worst part is that the massive energy required for timestretching is gotten by stealing energy from the users' imagination and DAW. This explains why Mike P doesn't reply to your demos, even though your mate Jerry said you were pretty dope.

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't quite real time, but one of the patches in the default library that comes with Usine will do live sampling and granular resynthesis pretty easily.

Also Usine is just an all around fantastic program, the closest thing I've seen to a native version of Kyma, among other things. I'm suprised I've never seen it come up on EKT in the 2-3 years I've been lurking.

http://www.sensomusic.com/wiki3/doku.php?id=hollyhock:manual:modules:patches:record_audio_grain_sampler

The problem with quality timestretching is that it's never realtime, but also, the timestretching itself never gets accomplished. Cuz a lot of people think that timestretching plugins manipulate audio by flinging around bits, but what they actually do, is that they slow down spacetime itself, playback the audio in that dimension, then the audio is recorded in your "regular spacetime" dimension. But due to interference in resonant frequencies of the respective spacetime dimensions (sort of like beats due to two different audio frequencies being played at the same time), there arises an error from dimensional branches self-referencing dielectric counterspace in centripetal velocity, and the recorded timestretched audio only completes about 99 percent (known as the asymptote of timestretching ballsack algorithm). So at their very best, timestretching plugins are mere approximations-- but the worst part is that the massive energy required for timestretching is gotten by stealing energy from the users' imagination and DAW. This explains why Mike P doesn't reply to your demos, even though your mate Jerry said you were pretty dope.

It all makes perfect sense now :psyduck:

resurrecting an old thread because i still haven't found a real-time effect that does the generic ragga jungle/tracker style time stretch, anybody know of something? its been 8 years lol

Just thinking about it (any just trying it out now to test!) - any granular synth which has a 'scanning' feature will do this - For example the free 'Granulator II' plugin for Max for Live (turn Scan on, and play with the time parameter)

it did in a thread someone asked about yesterday in regards to multi touch capable DAW software. I've played around with it but probably not enough.

I use Akaizer for the end result, but I get ideas out in real time with this http://www.rs-met.com/software/freebies/PitchShifter_v0.5.zip

The problem with using the Pitch Shifter in real time is that it introduces latency, so once I have an idea I'll send my whatever through Akaizer and re-sequence the patterns. You could also just render whatever from the pitch shifter and align it up properly to get rid of latency, but I like the sound of Akaizer as it seems a little tighter on attack transients. Here's what that vst sounds like. I'd do something clean but I'm on a mac right now, so I had to take that out of some old shit.

rsmetpitchshifter.wav

• 2 weeks later...

Archived