IGNORED

being a designer sucks

jules

jazz band. you posted this exact thread about 6 months ago. try a change of studio. or go freelance.

yea, my apologies

design yourself a new job

as a fellow graphic design (i work in motion graphic design) and somebody who talked to you about problems at work in some other thread a while back, jules, i admittedly feel bad that this made me lol a little bit.

that's because it's funny and made me chuckle as well

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love being an interior designer but i know exactly what you mean jules... i try to remember that anyone can have a great or relevant idea. i know it can be a pain in the ass when you've put in all the hard work and someone shoots it down with a flippant remark. a lot of our clients, although stinking rich, have either no taste or no idea what they want/like. on the other hand a lot think they're designers just cos they subscribe to homes & interiors magazine. i've developed a thick skin and a stack of patience for it.

it is not the idea part, it's the over the shoulder quarterbacking that has me at wits end. the meaningless moving around design after the design. just for the sake of it.

this:

tumblr_ll182tmVd61qi6mzdo1_500.jpg

i love being an interior designer but i know exactly what you mean jules... i try to remember that anyone can have a great or relevant idea. i know it can be a pain in the ass when you've put in all the hard work and someone shoots it down with a flippant remark. a lot of our clients, although stinking rich, have either no taste or no idea what they want/like. on the other hand a lot think they're designers just cos they subscribe to homes & interiors magazine. i've developed a thick skin and a stack of patience for it.

You're an interior designer?

You're an interior designer?

aye.

CLIENT: I am interested in one of your illustrations. I have a budget of $30 U.S.D.

ME: I am truly sorry sir, but that budget isn’t adequate for my illustration services.

This happened to me a few months ago. She wanted a book cover at a $25 dollar budget, so I sent her a proof of just black text on a white background and explained to her that the $25 dollars isn't adequate even for the proof I sent her! I gave her a proper quote and even did a discounted version and she still flipped out.

"Oh we can’t use this design…it’s too nice."

This too happened to me before. They said that it makes them look expensive.

You like craft beer, right? Lots of breweries have some of the greatest beer, but a half-assed brand image and labels that leave much to be desired. Enter Jules. Profit.

TIL Keltoi is a gay man

TIL what TIL means...

i'm not the type of interior designer who tells you what cushions go with your curtains cos i really couldn't give a shit about soft furnishings and you should be able to pick them for yourself ffs... i'm more of a jumped-up kitchen/bedroom/bathroom/study/whatever type interior designer.

i am a gay man though.

CLIENT: I am interested in one of your illustrations. I have a budget of $30 U.S.D.

ME: I am truly sorry sir, but that budget isn’t adequate for my illustration services.

This happened to me a few months ago. She wanted a book cover at a $25 dollar budget, so I sent her a proof of just black text on a white background and explained to her that the $25 dollars isn't adequate even for the proof I sent her! I gave her a proper quote and even did a discounted version and she still flipped out.

That's because you were rude and unprofessional. The professional approach would have not taken on the job to begin with, stating that you cannot work within such budget constraints, and professionally speaking, you would advise increasing the budget if possible as 25 dollars won't get her professional results.

it is not the idea part, it's the over the shoulder quarterbacking that has me at wits end. the meaningless moving around design after the design. just for the sake of it.

this:

tumblr_ll182tmVd61qi6mzdo1_500.jpg

This, among many things, is why I'm a programmer and not a designer (as much) anymore, although even in development I get the "gotta make a change/alteration for the sake of it" all the time - the thing you might attempt (although honestly it works better when you can back it up with fact and not opinion) is the solid reasons for doing something a certain way - whether it be the colour harmony, negative space balance, visual focus, etc. - use what you know as a professional to justify your creative actions - most reasonable people will listen and then agree what you're saying makes sense. The unreasonable people who want to put their mark on it so they feel like they contributed will still insist on doing so, and those people are few and far between in reality.

That's because you were rude and unprofessional. The professional approach would have not taken on the job to begin with, stating that you cannot work within such budget constraints, and professionally speaking, you would advise increasing the budget if possible as 25 dollars won't get her professional results.

What I didn't mention is that she is a sister of a friend and my friend asked me to do it for her. She thought that she could get it next to nothing since I'm a friend. I obviously don't do this to actual clients.

Archived