IGNORED

Electronic Cliches That Are Bad

Cryptowen

It's like, if a dude makes Acid because the sound of chewy 303s speaks to him & he thinks it's the best way to convey an emotion or idea, then that's cool. But if he's just thinking MAN I BET I CAN SOUND JUST LIKE A RAVE FROM 1989, then that's sorta ehhhhh

What if sounding just like a rave from 1989 speaks to him and he thinks it's the best way to convey an emotion or an idea? :emotawesomepm9:

I think the amen break should be put to bed. that's it, really. I was also going to mention retro themes and bladerunner-esque dialogue samples, but those still have life in them.

edit: also, and I know this will not go down well with the watmm, but I only enjoy like 15% of acid music out there, it gets old really fast for me. but that's just my taste, not an indictment on acid itself.

I agree with both statements. I enjoy the occasional acid squelch but when it's the sole melodic content of a track then that can get a bit silly.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did anybody mention the granular analysis stuttering randomizing whatever effect in glitch/idm? It was nice hearing it first in bucephalus bouncing ball and hangable auto bulb tracks, but it just turned into masturbatory drumbreak filler.

I'm starting to get the feeling that complaining about cliches in electronic music is an electronic music cliche. Like, most of the people I know in real life are in rock bands or play guitar, & they don't go around to each other & say "oh, another song where you strum some chords & sing about your ex-girlfriend. Reeeeeaaaallll original bud"

Maybe it's because a lot of electronic music people are more about the process & overall track atmosphere than the specific details contained within.

This is easily the most elitist thread I've read on WATMM in years, and thats saying something.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Robert Henke AKA Monolake (involved in the conception of Ableton Live) in a recent interview (http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1522)

Of course. I believe art cannot exist without clichés. I've never seen something 100% unique. I only see unique things if I don't know enough about what other people did. The more I learn about art in all forms, the more I understand that it's all a slow process. It's just people adding on top of each other.

I believe more in interesting evolutions than anything revolutionary. I think what distinguishes interesting music from less interesting music is people either using the cliché in interesting ways or repeating it exactly. Sometimes the most successful and intriguing music is the one which uses the cliché, but looks at it from a slightly different angle. It's the same in movies. What makes a good movie? That you can somehow anticipate the next movement, and then it comes—but from a totally different angle. That's when you think, "Damn, this is cool."

Robert Henke AKA Monolake (involved in the conception of Ableton Live) in a recent interview (http://www.residenta...ature.aspx?1522)

Of course. I believe art cannot exist without clichés. I've never seen something 100% unique. I only see unique things if I don't know enough about what other people did. The more I learn about art in all forms, the more I understand that it's all a slow process. It's just people adding on top of each other.

I believe more in interesting evolutions than anything revolutionary. I think what distinguishes interesting music from less interesting music is people either using the cliché in interesting ways or repeating it exactly. Sometimes the most successful and intriguing music is the one which uses the cliché, but looks at it from a slightly different angle. It's the same in movies. What makes a good movie? That you can somehow anticipate the next movement, and then it comes—but from a totally different angle. That's when you think, "Damn, this is cool."

Definitely relevant to my ideas about music and art in general.

-sampling dialogue from an old movie without significant alteration. YEAH MAN I LIKED BLADE RUNNER TOO BUT IT ISN'T 1994 ANYMORE

mostly yes. but it definitely works for burial.

Guest sirch

why do people 'av to make such long threads, i can't be bothered to read 'em !

kaini, what's the gist?????

-sampling dialogue from an old movie without significant alteration. YEAH MAN I LIKED BLADE RUNNER TOO BUT IT ISN'T 1994 ANYMORE

wut. Blade Runner was made in 1984...... actually before that, cos it came out in 84, innit.

what is his point?

fuck yeah skull trumpet

piepuppy89 is swag. So is cboyardee, but he took down all of his videos because he's a whiny baby who can't handle an over-zealous fanbase.

This is easily the most elitist thread I've read on WATMM in years, and thats saying something.

I think it's also one of the funniest threads on WATMM. Don't know about years, but at least since I joined.

making your album cover: ... random geometric shape...

Digital art for wahrk's latest release.

wahrk_-_Metamateria_-_Art_320x320.jpg

Cover for my Next Release.

tumblr_m0lto5jaIm1qe4goeo1_500.jpg

Artwork for a Quiliuq album I'm working on.

tumblr_lji1mmjChZ1qe4goeo1_500.jpg

My last album.

2363306338-1.jpg

Yeah...

Guest sirch

i have to say, this forum is just the absolute of negative.

everything here is so negative. it is the actual hell of internet forums.

i have to say, this forum is just the absolute of negative.

everything here is so negative. it is the actual hell of internet forums.

http://pfhorums.com/

Pretty much the crappiest forum I've ever been to. It used to be worse. Then again, I was young when I started posting there and frequently made a fool of myself, and the people there are unrelenting in making fun of stupid people.

No offense meant to the admins though; $lave is a cool guy. It has gotten better recently, although also a bit more dead.

Guest Enter a new display name

wut. Blade Runner was made in 1984...... actually before that, cos it came out in 84, innit.

what is his point?

It actually came out in 1982.

Guest sirch

what is his point?

It actually came out in 1982.

5485 posts

hey don't go around to each other & say "oh, another song where you strum some chords & sing about your ex-girlfriend. Reeeeeaaaallll original bud"

maybe they should

hey don't go around to each other & say "oh, another song where you strum some chords & sing about your ex-girlfriend. Reeeeeaaaallll original bud"

maybe they should

they def should and i do that all the time. i am very popular as you can imagine.

maybe they should

Archived