IGNORED

Strange Food Thread

Redruth

I've eaten fermented skate that has that ammonia tang to it. Shit is addictive, but you have to eat it while holding your nose.

Dog, raw beef, raw chicken, live squid, live octopus (well, technically not living, but it is still moving) ummm boiled silkworm.

I dunno. What's strange?

I think boiled silkworm falls under strange man!

The truth? Can you handle the truth? These photos are actually lifted from a conceptual art piece by Chinese sculptor Zhu Yu. He makes realistic human organs, pieces of faces, babies and such and displays them like you would buy meat in the grocery store. They are indeed made from food products, you could actually eat them, but there's no human tissue in them. So dig in, and pass the dumplings!

Oh sorry, I didn't see that. The site I was on did not say that at all, it was the complete opposite.

Removing pic now. Thanks for the info.

fetus soup is stepping the watmm line for nsfw content but aside from that this thread is for anything that is strange that is food related really

What's strange?

things boomkat reps don't normally eat

lol nice one.

not this again, for fuck sake

but you've have never ever refuted this in a convincing manner, so the onus is on you (plural), my friends.

45596242_12dd86cfea_b.jpg

Chinese wasp grubs...I couldn't find a picture of them being deep fried, but they're pretty common out in the countryside. I've never seen a hive with such big fucking chambers before, the grubs are super beefy, they look like mini squirming mcnuggets. Taste like them, too...pretty delicious (as far as nondescript deep-fried protein goes). I'd wager they could actually become popular in the West if people didn't know the source...

it is amazing to me, some of the things humans are willing to eat, although i'm sure necessity plays a role in many cases, shockingly it is not as often as you might think. i would guess, that if it exists, then at some point, someone, somewhere, has tried to eat it, for one reason or another. anyway, i'm very choosy in what i will or will not eat and i'm fortunate to be in the position to have choice.

here is more information about the wasp larvae eating.

xZmPy.jpg

"Any mention of the fear-inciting ingredient wasp is typically enough to land any dish in the inedible category and when you throw larvae into the mix, the case doesn’t get any stronger. However, as unappealing as it may seem, the Japanese commonly cook both adult wasps and wasp larvae in a soy sauce and sugar mixture to create a crunchy snack that is served over rice. If this doesn’t get you excited, wasp and wasp larvae are also boiled, sautéed, roasted and fried."

Edited by Redruth

what about the fucking sharp ass stingers and the searing pain toxins they inject, do they just vaporize away when you cook them?

my guess is since they're larvae their body parts aren't developed. It probably pops in your mouth like a little salty mayonnaise ball of yuckiness.

"Any mention of the fear-inciting ingredient wasp is typically enough to land any dish in the inedible category and when you throw larvae into the mix, the case doesn’t get any stronger. However, as unappealing as it may seem, the Japanese commonly cook both adult wasps and wasp larvae in a soy sauce and sugar mixture to create a crunchy snack that is served over rice. If this doesn’t get you excited, wasp and wasp larvae are also boiled, sautéed, roasted and fried."

referring to this bro

Guest abracadabra

Bird's Nest Soup

Bird's nest soup is a delicacy in Chinese cuisine. A few species of swift, the cave swifts, are renowned for building the saliva nests used to produce the unique texture of this soup.

The edible bird's nests are among the most expensive animal products consumed by humans. The nests have been used in Chinese cooking for over 400 years, most often as bird's nest soup.

uBBVF.jpg

KUpn7.jpg

Edited by abracadabra

Guest abracadabra

Oh yeah and Casu Marzu

fGTlp.jpg

Casu marzu is created by leaving whole Pecorino cheeses outside with part of the rind removed to allow the eggs of the cheese fly Piophila casei to be laid in the cheese. A female Piophila casei can lay more than five hundred eggs at one time. The eggs hatch and the larvae begin to eat through the cheese. The acid from the maggots' digestive system breaks down the cheese's fats, making the texture of the cheese very soft; by the time it is ready for consumption, a typical casu marzu will contain thousands of these maggots.

Edited by abracadabra

Guest apeterlives

fruit bat soup! I'm afraid I don't have the balls to try this one..

batsoup.jpg

Edited by apeterlives

Guest boo

in seoul cone pizza

wf01.jpg

that's strange, but light relief from the disgusting shit in this thread. so, thank you

Oh yeah and Casu Marzu

fGTlp.jpg

Casu marzu is created by leaving whole Pecorino cheeses outside with part of the rind removed to allow the eggs of the cheese fly Piophila casei to be laid in the cheese. A female Piophila casei can lay more than five hundred eggs at one time. The eggs hatch and the larvae begin to eat through the cheese. The acid from the maggots' digestive system breaks down the cheese's fats, making the texture of the cheese very soft; by the time it is ready for consumption, a typical casu marzu will contain thousands of these maggots.

that is absolutely bowffin

Edited by messiaen

^^ fuck that

although live/wriggly octopus with sesame oil/sauce is actually pretty fucking delicious. i think that's the craziest thing i had in seoul, except for the hot dog covered in french fry-laden batter, but that was more ingenious than weird.

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Kopi Luwak

Caca_de_civet.jpg

Kopi luwak, or civet coffe, is one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract. A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness.

Weasel shit coffee. Once paid a load of money for just a cup of this and my god was it worth it, best coffee I ever drank.