IGNORED

Strange Food Thread

Redruth

Some of the best food I've ever eaten was consumed during my time in the Phillipines, though Balut was one I didn't get the chance to try sadly (or perhaps not!).

I've had Ikura (salmon roe) with quail yoke on top many times. At first I ordered one just to gross my family out but they really grew on me and I'll order them anytime I find myself in a reputable Sushi place. I think I blew my hosts mind in Japan when I mentioned that I'd eat literally any kind of sushi they put in front of me.

208y0zs.jpg

this looks kind of amazing to be honest

0ralM.jpg

natto

"Natto are black soybeans (a smaller variety than familiar green soybeans) that are fermented using the bacterium Bacillus subtilis. These beans originated in China, but have become much more popular in Japan and Korea. The results of fermentation include generation of an odor that has been likened to that of garbage or dirty socks, and the formation of a mucus-like material that adheres to the beans and causes them to pull away in long tendrils."

Edited by Redruth

natto is not popular in Korea. They don't smell that bad, but they're not my favorite thing to eat. Can't get down with the texture.

I want your poop,

I will eat your poop,

I want your poop,

I will eat your poop,

I want your poop,

I will eat your poop,

I want your poop,

I will eat your poop.

COME TO REDRUTH.

Repeat x 7.

Come to troony.

Repeat Line 1 x 3.

Aargh.

Edited by baph

Guest iep

0ralM.jpg

natto

"Natto are black soybeans (a smaller variety than familiar green soybeans) that are fermented using the bacterium Bacillus subtilis. These beans originated in China, but have become much more popular in Japan and Korea. The results of fermentation include generation of an odor that has been likened to that of garbage or dirty socks, and the formation of a mucus-like material that adheres to the beans and causes them to pull away in long tendrils."

i don't like the slimeyness so much but it have so nice savory flavor! good food.

Guest disparaissant

fafaru

my dad went to tahiti in the 70s on a mormon mission and said that every family would have this when it was their turn to feed the missionaries. he never got used to it because he's dumb and went hungry a lot. i like the tahitian sense of humor.

fafaru

my dad went to tahiti in the 70s on a mormon mission and said that every family would have this when it was their turn to feed the missionaries. he never got used to it because he's dumb and went hungry a lot. i like the tahitian sense of humor.

"The hardest detail to transcend while eating fafaru is the smell. The fermentation process is used in numerous Tahitian dishes, but only fafaru smells like a five day-old carcass in its finished state."

Guest apeterlives

415146.jpg

In the China of old times, forest frog was considered a precious and rare food and among eight "water treasures", with such delicacies as shark fin and sea cucumber. Most notably produced inNortheast China, this forest frog is not just any frog. Better known as "ha shi ma", it is famous as a nutritious and replenishing food. The frog in the wild is China's national second grade protected species. The ones available in restaurants are bred at forest farms.

Ha shi ma used to be among special foods collected and dedicated to the imperial family. As a nutritious food, it is considered by traditional Chinese medicine doctors to replenish energy for the kidneys, moisten the lungs and nurture the yin factor in the body.

Ha shi ma is said to have a miraculous effect in helping people recover from fatigue, promote growth, raise immunity and delay the ageing process. It is also said to have beautifying functions for women. Oil extracted from the forest frog is used as a TCM medicine to help with children's cough, replenish women after delivery and assist people with weakened physical capacity.

Now this traditional treasure is being made into tasty dishes at Huafu Tiancheng. Forest frog features in four dishes: stewed imperial style (128 yuan per person), simmered in soup with jujube (168 yuan per person), simmered in soup with beef tendon served in coconut (168 yuan per person), and with nutritious herbs (128 yuan per person).

While forest frog with jujube soup is good for women, forest frog with beef tendon soup served in coconut is designed for men. Both replenish the yin factor in the body and make people stronger.

Female forest frogs contain black roe that looks and tastes like sturgeon roe. The stomach part tastes buttery like the cream of a steamed male crab. The price is reasonable given the quality.

Besides forest frog, the restaurant offers the most popular of Cantonese and Hunan cuisines. Sauna razor clam is an innovative dish, in which clams are put inside a hot terrine, and water poured from above turns into steam to make the clams fresh and tasty. Hong Kong style roast goose is a typical Cantonese specialty. For vegetables try baby cabbage in earthen bowl.

The restaurant is beautifully decorated in traditional Beijing courtyard style. Yet the dishes are presented in Western manner, and service is quite adequate. Average spending is 50-200 yuan per person in the public area, and 100-1,000 yuan in private rooms.

• 4 months later...

Did someone say tongue is strange? I guess there's a time when I thought it was too. I like the Mexican version, barbacoa I think it's called? Also the Japanese grilled version (sliced thin) is really nice.

Also, natto's smelly and just kind of bland on its own but it's nice with Japanese mustard.

(no weeaboo)

Yesterday I was hanging out with my pals, and this little cricket hopped by. My buddies dared me to eat it so I picked it up, flicked it's head off, pulled off all the legs, and ate it. It had a rather sour taste, and an aftertaste that reminded me of that odour stink bugs put off.