IGNORED

Strange Food Thread

Redruth

Guest RadarJammer

One of my earliest memories is the stench of some sauerkraut my grandma was cooking. It left such a strong imprint on me that if someone asked me when I'm 90 what food freaks me out the most I would probably say sauerkraut. I still haven't ever tried it but If I get drunk around some one day I might be feeling a little brave and give it a taste test.

Inside_a_Balut_-_Embryo_and_Yolk.jpg

Balut

Ortolan%20preppedsmall.jpg

Ortolan

Francois Mitterrand's last meal has become a legend. The Ortolan Bunting, a bird about the size of your thumb, was on his menu. The bird is prepared by drowning it alive in Armagnac, cooked and then served whole, eaten bones and all. Now, aside from being considered more than slightly cruel, even by the standards of French cuisine, serving Ortolan is also highly illegal, because the bird is endangered.

People typically will eat it under a white napkin. And part of it is to create a little capsule for yourself so that all of the aromas and tastes are captured in the space before you. But also people traditionally ate beneath the cloth napkin because they didn't want to have God see them eating these little songbirds.

Ortolan

Francois Mitterrand's last meal has become a legend. The Ortolan Bunting, a bird about the size of your thumb, was on his menu. The bird is prepared by drowning it alive in Armagnac, cooked and then served whole, eaten bones and all. Now, aside from being considered more than slightly cruel, even by the standards of French cuisine, serving Ortolan is also highly illegal, because the bird is endangered.

People typically will eat it under a white napkin. And part of it is to create a little capsule for yourself so that all of the aromas and tastes are captured in the space before you. But also people traditionally ate beneath the cloth napkin because they didn't want to have God see them eating these little songbirds.

so happy it only took two posts to get to ortolan. Truly legendary!

but you forgot the part when the bird was kept in captivity and fed so much fat that its liver grows far beyond its normal size, eventually severely limiting the functions of the bunting's other organs! I also believe you put the entire thing in your mouth with the head out, and then bite down, having the head drop to the floor and leaving you withfatty armangnac-y roasted goodness.

Guest kokeboka

but you forgot the part when the bird was kept in captivity and fed so much fat that its liver grows far beyond its normal size, eventually severely limiting the functions of the bunting's other organs! I also believe you put the entire thing in your mouth with the head out, and then bite down, having the head drop to the floor and leaving you withfatty armangnac-y roasted goodness.

isn't this similar to the process of making foie gras, as well (but with duck)?

Ortolan

yeah, I got too bored with trying to copy-paste different parts of an NPR interview...thanks! :)

800px-Hakarl_near_Bjarnah%C3%B6fn_in_Iceland.JPG

Hákarl:

Hákarl or kæstur hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈhauːkʰadl̥]) (Icelandic for "shark") is a food from Iceland. It is a Greenland- or basking shark which has been cured with a particular fermentationprocess and hung to dry for four to five months. Hákarl is often referred to as an acquired taste[1] and has a very particular ammonia-rich smell and fishy taste, similar to very strong cheeseslathered in ammonia.

The Greenland shark itself is poisonous when fresh due to a high content of urea and trimethylamine oxide, but may be consumed after being processed (see below). It has a particular ammonia smell, similar to many cleaning products. It is often served in cubes on toothpicks. Those new to it will usually gag involuntarily on the first attempt to eat it due to the high ammonia content.[1]

Hákarl is traditionally prepared by gutting and beheading a Greenland or basking shark and placing it in a shallow hole dug in gravelly-sand, with the now-cleaned cavity resting on a slight hill. The shark is then covered with sand and gravel, and stones are then placed on top of the sand in order to press the shark. The fluids from the shark are in this way pressed out of the body. The shark ferments in this fashion for 6–12 weeks depending on the season.

Edited by lumpenprol

The Greenland shark itself is poisonous when fresh due to a high content of urea and trimethylamine oxide, but may be consumed after being processed (see below). It has a particular ammonia smell, similar to many cleaning products. It is often served in cubes on toothpicks. Those new to it will usually gag involuntarily on the first attempt to eat it due to the high ammonia content.[1]

what's for dinner tonight? blubber or the poison ammonia fish?

Ortolan

yeah, I got too bored with trying to copy-paste different parts of an NPR interview...thanks! :)

I am fascinated, some would say obsessed with roman cuisine.

Today I had some prosciutto and fig pizza. White pizza with fig jam instead of pizza sauce.

It was fucking delicious. So choice. If you have the means I highly suggest you try it.

The truth? Can you handle the truth? These photos are actually lifted from a conceptual art piece by Chinese sculptor Zhu Yu. He makes realistic human organs, pieces of faces, babies and such and displays them like you would buy meat in the grocery store. They are indeed made from food products, you could actually eat them, but there's no human tissue in them. So dig in, and pass the dumplings!
Edited by dr lopez

The truth? Can you handle the truth? These photos are actually lifted from a conceptual art piece by Chinese sculptor Zhu Yu. He makes realistic human organs, pieces of faces, babies and such and displays them like you would buy meat in the grocery store. They are indeed made from food products, you could actually eat them, but there's no human tissue in them. So dig in, and pass the dumplings!

Oh sorry, I didn't see that. The site I was on did not say that at all, it was the complete opposite.

Removing pic now. Thanks for the info.

I've eaten fermented skate that has that ammonia tang to it. Shit is addictive, but you have to eat it while holding your nose.

Dog, raw beef, raw chicken, live squid, live octopus (well, technically not living, but it is still moving) ummm boiled silkworm.

I dunno. What's strange?