IGNORED

WWDC Conference 11th-15th June

Gordon

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

Sorry if there is any topics on this. I gave the subforum a brief scan and nothing came up.

I'm pretty interested in hearing about what they have coming regarding the new iMacs in particular. I'm a Mac book user but looking to get an iMac but holding out.

Other stuff being announced include upgrades to most other apple products.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest items will undoubtedly be iOS6 and what features it will bring, and if they refresh the entire line with Retina display technology, or if it will just be the usual bumps in CPU power.

I, for one would consider getting a new iMac or MacBookPro if it had the iPad 3's display resolution capabilities.

The biggest items will undoubtedly be iOS6 and what features it will bring, and if they refresh the entire line with Retina display technology, or if it will just be the usual bumps in CPU power.

I, for one would consider getting a new iMac or MacBookPro if it had the iPad 3's display resolution capabilities.

Yeah i'm really interested in seeing the new displays. I find the current displays amazing, i find it hard to imagine how they can be improved (of course there is always room for improvement).

I've been lazy in looking into the new software updates. How is the iPad inspiring the new operating system? What sort of features are they integrating?

I have a feeling the reason they didn't roll out the Retina displays to the desktop line is:

• Want to see how well the Retina display does on one product line besides the iPad
  • Only the top of the line MacBookPro has it - perhaps the cost is a factor?
  • They have something else planned for the iMac line, like Retina touchscreen capability (although that would make more sense to me on a laptop and not a desktop - perhaps I'm wrong).

there's new audio API stuff in iOS 6 which is cool. you can multi-route audio streams to different outputs, for headphone cues etc., maybe also between apps.

it seems un-Jobs the way they only added the retina display to the 15 inch. Why can that Mac and the ipad have the retina but nothing else. And the price difference. holy shit.

Actually it's very Jobs-like to not have added the retina display to the 17". The move clearly delineates the 15" with retina display as the top of the line, thus no cannibalizing sales.

As for no retina display on a 27" imac...lol sure - if you want to take out that third mortgage. The 15" MBP with retina display at $2,199 is a pretty darn good price for the technology you're getting.

Bleh, no Ethernet. But I suppose a $30 thunderbolt adapter isn't a problem for anyone purchasing a $2200 laptop anyway. I was also hoping that the standard line of MBPs would be refreshed with reasonably priced SSDs.

Bleh, no Ethernet. But I suppose a $30 thunderbolt adapter isn't a problem for anyone purchasing a $2200 laptop anyway. I was also hoping that the standard line of MBPs would be refreshed with reasonably priced SSDs.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised they didn't take the bold move of making SSDs standard this time around...

no optical drive. wtf?

1. creative people burn CDs all the time... especially musicians

2. there are still companies out there that sell their software on dvds to install them

3. people often play DVD movies in the laptops.

are they expecting us to all go out and buy portable dvd drives? fucking lame!

no optical drive. wtf?

2. there are still companies out there that sell their software on dvds to install them

1. get a portable USB DVD/Blu-Ray/CD burner - cheaper and it won't take up space otherwise wasted 75% of the time you actually use the computer (think about it; sure you do burn things, but really, how often?)
  2. See 1, but also realize that more and more apps are being sold digitally - not to mention through the App Store. Cheaper for the software maker, and no useless disc and box cluttering up your shelf.
  3. See 1 again, but also refer to part of 2 - more and more movies are being distributed digitally, or if you have the physical disc, it comes with an iTunes voucher to download the digital version.

The Mac Pro "refresh," is a huge slap in the face to Apple's dwindling professional core. Probably a nail in that coffin. Cook apparently has gone on the defensive and hinted that something good is coming for pros next year. The last major refresh of the Mac Pro was in 2009. Unbelievable.

I was saving up for an iMac, myself. I would have been fine with a minor graphics and processor bump. It's a solid machine as is. But there's no reason for nothing. Now Apple's just selling year + old hardware at the same price point, and it's just not a justifiable purchase.

Nothing big is coming. Apple isn't going to sneak a major iMac redesign into a press release. So why no refresh now?

I'm left with pulling the plug on a now massively expensive macbook pro in order to gain some needed screen real estate and resolution, or abandoning this platform altogether. My 2007 MBP is on its last legs after a pretty good 5 year run.

But the writing is on the wall. Apple is catering to gadget fanboys who will wait and buy anything, not power (or even prosumer) users with long buying cycles, who might need to pull the trigger on a refreshed model any given year. I can't imagine any other company holding off on minor refreshes just because something big is planned a year or two down the line.

406 days since last iMac update, and counting. Apple PR told its stooge David Pogue to make a statement about something coming "in 2013." Fucking disgraceful.

Meanwhile, if Apple is trying to revise the iMac with a retina display, it's going to have to be the first iMac with a serious desktop class graphics card. And what's the likelihood of that happening?

no optical drive. wtf?

1. Apple doesn't care about content creators anymore, unless you're creating iOS apps. Apple makes money from content consumers.

2. Apple doesn't want you to buy software unless you're buying it from the Apple Download Store.

3. Apple doesn't want you to play DVDs, it wants you to "purchase" content from iTunes.

Apple is expecting you to buy it's $75 $79 external non-BD drive if you really want it.

Apple's current business strategy is to consolidate all purchases within the iTunes or App Store environments, and it will no longer include hardware that fosters competition with those environments.

no optical drive. wtf?

must be trolling.

no optical drive. wtf?

1. Apple doesn't care about content creators anymore, unless you're creating iOS apps. Apple makes money from content consumers.

2. Apple doesn't want you to buy software unless you're buying it from the Apple Download Store.

3. Apple doesn't want you to play DVDs, it wants you to "purchase" content from iTunes.

Apple is expecting you to buy it's $75 $79 external non-BD drive if you really want it.

Apple's current business strategy is to consolidate all purchases within the iTunes or App Store environments, and it will no longer include hardware that fosters competition with those environments.

Where would you like your vagisil shipped to?

lol

Take your pic.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=420&name=External-CD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Drives

As to the AppStore, do you seriously think that Apple is going to cut off other ways to install software on their laptops/computers?

Finally, Apple makes many announcements in late January, and this is probably where you will see the upgrades to the iMac/Mac Pro line.

As to the AppStore, do you seriously think that Apple is going to cut off other ways to install software on their laptops/computers?

The default setting in Mountain Lion only allows apps that come from the App Store or have a signature from the Apple developer program to be run. Of course, the setting can easily be changed to allow all third party apps to run. But what if the next version after Mountain Lion makes it App Store only by default? Will most users be willing to flip that switch if OS X tells them that it will make their computer vulnerable?

The default setting in Mountain Lion only allows apps that come from the App Store or have a signature from the Apple developer program to be run. Of course, the setting can easily be changed to allow all third party apps to run. But what if the next version after Mountain Lion makes it App Store only by default? Will most users be willing to flip that switch if OS X tells them that it will make their computer vulnerable?

So your answer is no, Apple will not cut off other ways to install software.

So your answer is no, Apple will not cut off other ways to install software.

Gatekeeper suggests that Apple wants to move to a closed system like iOS. They want to get their 30% from as many developers as possible and advertise their platform as malware-free, so I think it's possible that Apple will eventually restrict OS X to App Store only. Developers will always be able to run whatever code they want, but Apple doesn't want end users to run code that Apple has no control over. Microsoft is going in the same direction with Metro apps and the Windows Store.

Archived