IGNORED

Why does no one release music on Laserdisc?

Guest JJSee

Guest JJSee

Ah! I missed that. On the constant defensive I suppose.

I wanted to make a lathe for a while, think it's pretty cool stuff.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still nonsense. People should just make good music and maybe put it in a nice package if they want. And a rip of an fm disk (whatever that may be) wouldn't be that hard to pirate. I don't think putting music on weird media is such a good method of rights management.

Ignoring all the positives and focusing on one sentence that is still true, DRM isn't the completely hypothetical format's main selling point, that would be... everything else I've said.

The only valid point to me is that it is an analog format that doesn't wear off like vinyl.

Guest JJSee

It's still nonsense. People should just make good music and maybe put it in a nice package if they want. And a rip of an fm disk (whatever that may be) wouldn't be that hard to pirate. I don't think putting music on weird media is such a good method of rights management.

Ignoring all the positives and focusing on one sentence that is still true, DRM isn't the completely hypothetical format's main selling point, that would be... everything else I've said.

The only valid point to me is that it is an analog format that doesn't wear off like vinyl.

This is honestly what got me into thinking about it, eveything else was added as a 'bonus' I suppose, I think its intriguing enough just with that statement to at least talk about.

interesting ideas in this thread, but physical media is OVER.

putting music & video on some physical object, packing it in cardboard & plastic wrap, loading it onto planes & trains & trucks and shipping it all over the world, paying twice as much for some release because it had to cross some arbitrary national border, having to go to some shop to get it only to find it's out of stock, getting your copy scratched up, etc etc etc.... those days are done.

vinyl is cool and will be around for collectors just for the nostalgia/fetish factor but proposing some new physical medium is a dead end. if anything it would be better to propose some sort of new lossless format for audio and video, or some sort of insanely high-rez uncompressed digital format that makes it equivalent to analog. as cpu power / bandwidth continues to increase these things will become more feasible. i personally don't have a problem with the current state of digital audio, however.

but how much new music is made using 100% analog gear & recorded only to tape anymore? even more traditional rock music still ends up using vst plug-ins & recorded in a daw like pro-tools or logic during the production process so...

Archived