IGNORED

Frankie 5's Album Releases

Guest Frankie5fingers

Guest Frankie5fingers

Great concept! I am just giving the tracks a preview; enjoying the first one; beautiful!

thanks man! glad you're enjoying it.

Utopia - my first impression, solaris soundtrack by cliff martinezz, which I am a die hard fan of ;]. Love how the various sounds are intertwining, could've sworn I heard a mellow guitar tune in there somewhere :] or it's just my mind playing tricks.

Impending Catastrophe - really lives up to its title. At first it sounds a little like the previous track + ominous vibe. 1:44 ace! excellent blend of emotions, sounds like hopelessness with a touch of serenity. 3:57 nice evolution with the distortion, adds to the tension and that detuning (4:14) is also cool.

I'll be back to review the rest as soon as I'll find the time ;]

On a side note: In my opinion the cover art is not on par with the quality of the content. It would be a bit better if you removed the exploding planet.

Guest Frankie5fingers

Utopia - my first impression, solaris soundtrack by cliff martinezz, which I am a die hard fan of ;]. Love how the various sounds are intertwining, could've sworn I heard a mellow guitar tune in there somewhere :] or it's just my mind playing tricks.

Impending Catastrophe - really lives up to its title. At first it sounds a little like the previous track + ominous vibe. 1:44 ace! excellent blend of emotions, sounds like hopelessness with a touch of serenity. 3:57 nice evolution with the distortion, adds to the tension and that detuning (4:14) is also cool.

thanks man! glad you like it. hope you like the rest.

On a side note: In my opinion the cover art is not on par with the quality of the content. It would be a bit better if you removed the exploding planet.

yeah, about that. i made this in like 10 minutes. lol. i completely forgot about the art cause i was working on my other albums, then when i was about to release it i was like "holy shit, ive got no album cover!" lol. BIG rookie mistake on my part. on top of that i absolutely suck at digital work and have virtually no experience (get it? lol). so that just adds more to the failure. lol there was one picture that i found awhile back that i really wanted to use but i couldn't find the artist that made it. it was a pic of a futuristic city that was under attack. in flames, ships falling out of the sky, that kind of stuff (and i can't even show you cause i cant find it). and i couldn't just use it, id like to play it safe and not possibly get sued sometime in the future. and i can't commission anything mainly due to the fact that i have no money!

so unless you (or anyone) can make/find better cover art then be my guest. otherwise it will remain shitty. lol. though i was thinking of removing that planet, its just kinda stupid now that i look at it.

• 1 month later...

This EP is pretty enjoyable. Since we're only talking five tracks, I might as well post my thoughts about each individual track.

Tundra:

Well, I guess it sounds like a tundra. The intro that is. The synths and melodies are very nice.

My only "complaint" is that it isn't that cold sounding during the last two minutes or so, except for the outro. Then again, it kinda depends on what you were going for. It doesn't sound like walking around the tundra during a blizzard to me, but more like flying in a helicopter or something, looking down on the tundra below. Whatever.. I'm rambling. The track is good. Works great as an opener too!

Aurora Australis:

The drums are nice, especially because of the reverb. I don't really like the bass to be honest. It doesn't sound right to me, and I feel the track would have been better without it. Not trying to be disrespectful or rude.. or telling you how to make your music. Just sayin'.

Caverns:

Best track on there. It's very simple and cold sounding, and fits the theme of the EP nicely. The bass stuff at 1:50 was quite jarring at first, but on my second listen it made a little more sense. I don't have a whole lot more to say about this one. Excellent drums and melodies/synths, once again.

Penguins Under the Ice:

Second best track. Pretty happy and cheerful sounding compared to the rest of the tracks. For some reason, it feels like a lot of stuff is happening in this track, which makes it a little less relaxing than the others. I mean this in a good way of course. It would be boring if all tracks felt the same. Sweet track!

Vostok:

One of the synths in this track sounds like a saxophone with lots of reverb on it! Hella good! Again, I don't really have a whole lot to say. An ambient intro would have been cool, but then again, it's kind of an old tired cliché, so in a way, I guess it's pretty cool yhat you avoided it. Good track, that rounds up the EP nicely.

I think that's about it. I was a bit surprised by the 'tone' of the tracks, when I first heard it. I was expecting this very cold and melancholic sounding music (I guess this is because every single piece of music I've ever heard with Tundra in its title, has been just that), but it actually felt kinda bright and... maybe not happy, but.. not-sad.

All in all, it's a good EP. It's not something that blew me out of my seat, but not everything needs to do that anyway (please don't get me wrong, I think it sounds great!). It's just some nice pleasant sounding electronic musics, and I can appreciate that too!

I know this is not exactly the most helpful comment in the world, since I'm pretty useless when it comes to stuff like mixing advice and all that stuff, but since I've listened to this album/EP a few times now, I thought I might as well leave a comment on here. I hope you don't mind.

Thank you for the free download!

ffs, I need to proof read my posts.

Vostok:

One of the synths in this track sounds like a saxophone with lots of reverb on it! Hella good! Again, I don't really have a whole lot to say. An ambient intro outro would have been cool, but then again, it's kind of an old tired cliché, so in a way, I guess it's pretty cool yhat you avoided it.

Guest Frankie5fingers

thanks for the review man! and yeah, i felt that if i made every song straight up cold sounding ambient that it would get boring kinda fast. so i tryed to keep it cold sounding but still have variety.

im so glad you enjoyed it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks man! glad you like it. hope you like the rest.

yeah, about that. i made this in like 10 minutes. lol. i completely forgot about the art cause i was working on my other albums, then when i was about to release it i was like "holy shit, ive got no album cover!" lol. BIG rookie mistake on my part. on top of that i absolutely suck at digital work and have virtually no experience (get it? lol). so that just adds more to the failure. lol there was one picture that i found awhile back that i really wanted to use but i couldn't find the artist that made it. it was a pic of a futuristic city that was under attack. in flames, ships falling out of the sky, that kind of stuff (and i can't even show you cause i cant find it). and i couldn't just use it, id like to play it safe and not possibly get sued sometime in the future. and i can't commission anything mainly due to the fact that i have no money!

so unless you (or anyone) can make/find better cover art then be my guest. otherwise it will remain shitty. lol. though i was thinking of removing that planet, its just kinda stupid now that i look at it.

Next time send me a mail! I love making artwork for music. I did the skyscrapers comp art :) The album is great!

Archived