IGNORED

ORBLIVION and ACTUAL SOUNDS + VOICES are the best albums by each respective group

vamos scorcho

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit that I don't get the love for the Orb. I've got Adventures (the deluxe thingy) and UFOrb and while nice it really doesn't blow me away. It might have been pioneering, but those that came after made it that style better. It's probably because I didn't the hear Orb during my impressionable teenage years. Same for MBM, don't get it either, although I haven't heard much, just the In Dub and Live album.

who are you suggesting that came after and made it better? i think the orb are notoriously hard to sound like.

I was not thinking that the ones after must sound like them, but the general "chill-out" genre has acts that I enjoy more than the Orb, such as Shpongle, CBL and various others. Sorry, that I don't feel the Orb.

• 9 months later...

Q: What is the difference, the distinction, between a swish and a whistler?

A: Well, a swish descends through the audio frequency spectrum with time, whereas a whistler is more coherent.

Q: --in other words a whistler is a rarefied and specialized case of the swish?

A: Well we've found some which start out like a swish and end up like a whistler and we call these swishlers...

Q: They're audio frequencies, but they're not audible unless you have radio ears?

A: That's correct, they're audio frequency radio waves

Q: We've talked about whistlers a lot, now perhaps, we should uh, just devote no more than a minute or two to the TWEEK

A: The tweek is rather well understood, and demonstrated that they are indeed tweeks, but the rate of decline of the tone is so fast, that they're not recognized as well developed tweeks until you slow them down

Q: A mature tweek is one that is many miles away?

A: It is a, uh a crash or a bonk and if it's uh, far enough away that it's not that but not a tweek, it's one of these immature tweeks. A dawn chorus on the other hand is not at all well understood, and there is no theory to explain it.

• 7 months later...

Having now probably listened to Actual Voices (multiple times), it's made me wonder what happened to this dark electronic scene that seemed to be quite prevalent in the latter part of the 90s. Chemical Brothers were doing it too before they all went fluffy and digital (IMO), FSOL were doing it with ISDN & Dead Cities, but there doesn't seem to be this crunchy techno-y dystopian music nowadays. Anyone know of artists that have continued to produce this style of electonica ?

Bumping cos I just found a cracking album yesterday fitting this late-90s downbeat vibe perfectly: It's a cracking album by Mark Van Hoen called The Revenant Diary. Released in late 2011 but sounding at least a decade older (in a good way) it's a whole load of gloomy (but gorgeous) collection of beats and ambience (ambiance?). Probably the most 'mainstream' sounding thing I've heard on the eMego label too. It's available here - http://boomkat.com/downloads/474175-mark-van-hoen-the-revenant-diary#

Here's my fave track from it:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for bumping this thread. It prompted me to spin RUOK and I'm a happier person for it this morning :music:

Can I bump it again? RUOK is a fav of mine esp the epic clunk-fest that is No Echo In Space. There is an alternative version of it on Variaciones Espectrales

PS agree Orblivion is the best Orb

Archived