IGNORED

ORBLIVION and ACTUAL SOUNDS + VOICES are the best albums by each respective group

vamos scorcho

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

orb arcana question for ya:

whats the book, and subsequent book on tape (ie. the sample) of the whole karl popper, teilhard de Chardin, noösphere bit anyway?

edit: New Pathways in Psychology by Colin Wilson, who discusses the concept of the Noösphere.

but the recording?

Guest margaret thatcher

it was an audio book taken from sheffield public library, i believe. i don't know the details, sorry. a lot of the early samples were from audio cds and lps from sheffield and battersea libraries. on a side note, ages ago, i had a long chat in a pub in bristol with the chap that lent lx the cd with the victor lewis-smith 'babylon an ting' towers of dub sample on it...

nostalgia for the years 88-98 or so... is so unique. it's unlike anything else.

especially for the years between 89 and 95

for me it was like 00 when i discovered all that music, but the basic time is very clear

it's so fucking beautiful. my favorite music almost exclusively come from those years. everything.

there is something pure, intangible. totally lacking self-consciousness. i'm sure people felt similarly about the 60s during the 80s.

but I think the nostalgia for the 90s, or 90s music is definitely unique. it was pure.

Man's achievement is to have created a world of the mind, of the intellect and imagination, which is as real in its way as any actual country on the map.

Sir Karl Popper, in one of his most important papers, calls it "the third world," or World Three. The first world is the objective world of things. The second world is my inner subjective world.

But, says Popper, there is a third world, the world of objective contents of thoughts...

Teilhard de Chardin called this "third world" the noösphere-the world of mind.

I always irritate my friends when I recite that word for word when O.O.B.E. is playing.

Speaking of all things orbular, saw they're playing a gig (?) in Boston in November. Is it worth it to trek up there? What is live12 like? I know it's not live93 anymore but would I still have fun? Thatch?

I'm pretty sure that's Bryan Magee. He did a number of television series on philosophy and influential philosophical ideas. Although I can't find the episode, there's an excellent resource on youtube that collects a number of his dialogues with famous philosophers: http://www.youtube.com/user/flame0430

This one is one of my favorites, A.J. Ayer:

Enjoy.

I always irritate my friends when I recite that word for word when O.O.B.E. is playing.

Speaking of all things orbular, saw they're playing a gig (?) in Boston in November. Is it worth it to trek up there? What is live12 like? I know it's not live93 anymore but would I still have fun? Thatch?

ooh, what venue?

orb's adventures is the best you fools. shit was pioneering and a double album to boot. plus: prepetual dawn!!!

Different strokes for different folks my dear. I love them both, and not sure I could say which is 'best' as they're stylistically so different and evoke completely differing emotions.

Having now probably listened to Actual Voices (multiple times), it's made me wonder what happened to this dark electronic scene that seemed to be quite prevalent in the latter part of the 90s. Chemical Brothers were doing it too before they all went fluffy and digital (IMO), FSOL were doing it with ISDN & Dead Cities, but there doesn't seem to be this crunchy techno-y dystopian music nowadays. Anyone know of artists that have continued to produce this style of electonica ?

Chemical Brothers are the most serious example of a group going from pioneering, experimental, dystopian, authentic, and original... to basically lighweight and shitty. imo. still like them in the present though.

for dark or dystopian electronic music the best bet in the present is to look at underground techno artists like Robert Hood or perhaps a musician like Lucy who came out with the album Wordplay for Working Bees last year. That's where I go for my dystopia.

orb's adventures is the best you fools. shit was pioneering and a double album to boot. plus: prepetual dawn!!!

Different strokes for different folks my dear. I love them both, and not sure I could say which is 'best' as they're stylistically so different and evoke completely differing emotions.

Having now probably listened to Actual Voices (multiple times), it's made me wonder what happened to this dark electronic scene that seemed to be quite prevalent in the latter part of the 90s. Chemical Brothers were doing it too before they all went fluffy and digital (IMO), FSOL were doing it with ISDN & Dead Cities, but there doesn't seem to be this crunchy techno-y dystopian music nowadays. Anyone know of artists that have continued to produce this style of electonica ?

Not quite sure if this fits into your category, but it`s one of my favourite albums of the year, and it`s pretty dark and a bit similar to FSOL and Meat Beat. http://cymophane.bandcamp.com/

• 5 months later...

the swish and the whistler sample break is just so goofy and amazing i just listen with a huge smile every time.

esp when he puts that reverb only on TWEEK!KKkkkkkKkkkKkkkk

fucking great album.

I have to admit that I don't get the love for the Orb. I've got Adventures (the deluxe thingy) and UFOrb and while nice it really doesn't blow me away. It might have been pioneering, but those that came after made it that style better. It's probably because I didn't the hear Orb during my impressionable teenage years. Same for MBM, don't get it either, although I haven't heard much, just the In Dub and Live album.

Guest tht tne

I have to admit that I don't get the love for the Orb. I've got Adventures (the deluxe thingy) and UFOrb and while nice it really doesn't blow me away. It might have been pioneering, but those that came after made it that style better. It's probably because I didn't the hear Orb during my impressionable teenage years. Same for MBM, don't get it either, although I haven't heard much, just the In Dub and Live album.

who are you suggesting that came after and made it better? i think the orb are notoriously hard to sound like.

Orblivion is good but more after the peak and a bit more pop for its time

Orbis Tarrarum was the last of the classic stoner Orb imho although there have been some gems in recent years no one rasied the standard and appealed to many none raver hippies who were into the likes of floyd, Zappa, Ozrics ect than the Orb in their prime

Archived