IGNORED

FBI has 12 MILLION iPhone user's data - Unique Device IDentifiers, Address, Full Name, APNS tokens, phone numbers.. you are being tracked.

o00o

wtf is up with you libertarian nutjob idiots using real examples where real agencies abused and manipulated information collected? its simply not true. this never happens. you guys are just being disturbed about a whole lot of nothing. why don't you go vote for Ron Paul or something. or are you Communists?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wtf is up with you libertarian nutjob idiots using real examples where real agencies abused and manipulated information collected? its simply not true. this never happens. you guys are just being disturbed about a whole lot of nothing. why don't you go vote for Ron Paul or something. or are you Communists?

Lol what´s your point? I thought you were talking about extreme forms of information gathering by governmental agencies...

my point is that anyone that ever has a problem with information collection these days is automatically a paranoid crazy. the apathy towards issues like this in the past decade is sickening, tbh.

its not whether they will abuse it, its the fact that a system is in place that can easily be abused, if circumstances allow.

Let's put it another way: Usually when a government does something, it is required to satiate a burden of proof to justify that authority. Why does the FBI need to collect 12 million iphone accounts worth of trivial information?

Edit: iphone, not facebook, sorry. though i wouldn't be surprised as Facebook has already faced accusations of data mining.

Oh, I thought you were talking about how noone doesn't care these days. Misunderstood you...

But yeah, you're right, being tracked like this is insane. Things like secrecy of correspondence used to be really important and widely supported in the analog era, but nowadays just about every email is or can be scanned. It is in the nature of many governments (yes, democratic governments as well) to strive for as much control and supervision as possible. The fact that this is now happening without the majority of people even noticing is kind of frightening.

I think the people in this thread need to take a step back and ask themselves

"where are these purported 12 million Apple UDIDs?"

because they've certainly not been released, and only alluded to by someone with about as much credibility as Florian Mueller

Guest Xenblake

In all practicality I can only see this kind of thing being used a step in cases currently open on suspects who are worth the time and money spent on tracking them in the first place. I.e real criminals.

Just because they can track all these devices they're not exactly listening in or checking everyones traffic, that'd be a pretty impossible feat in cost and manpower.

In all practicality I can only see this kind of thing being used a step in cases currently open on suspects who are worth the time and money spent on tracking them in the first place. I.e real criminals.

Just because they can track all these devices they're not exactly listening in or checking everyones traffic, that'd be a pretty impossible feat in cost and manpower.

ah ok

so assuming the number is true, that then means we have 12 million potential criminals in the US worthy of surveillance?

big deal

why dont you worry about something that matters, like how much Skrillex sucks, or getting free healthcare for two years

i am so bittar

Guest Xenblake

ah ok

so assuming the number is true, that then means we have 12 million potential criminals in the US worthy of surveillance?

big deal

why dont you worry about something that matters, like how much Skrillex sucks, or getting free healthcare for two years

i am so bittar

Haha. Just because they have access to certain (very basic info) on you, doesn't necessarily mean they'll ever use it.

Technical communication devices are avidly (mis)used in criminal activity so it can't come as a surprise that they must to some extent be monitored.

Also it's in nobodys interest to scare the general public away from purchasing and using these devices.

If sometime in the future freeedom restricting laws against certain opinions etc. are put into use, then that will be a problem. But that would be a legislative problem that stems from OTT laws being put into force and not the mere issue of surveillance.

Also it's in nobodys interest to scare the general public away from purchasing and using these devices.

I disagree. Scaring people away from these toys that craft wasteful, narcissistic consumers of planned obsolescence would cut down on the waste produced by these machines built on Asian suffering, and would at least lead to that many fewer people completely obsessed with viewing the world through the lens of a 3 inch rectangular screen.

I disagree. Scaring people away from these toys that craft wasteful, narcissistic consumers of planned obsolescence would cut down on the waste produced by these machines built on Asian suffering, and would at least lead to that many fewer people completely obsessed with viewing the world through the lens of a 3 inch rectangular screen.

Beautifully put!

As someone else pointed out this kind of information might not be used now, but may very well be used (perhaps abused) in the future.

Or would just make more money for Google, Samsung, HTC, etc.

Guest Xenblake

Lol yes, don't get me wrong I completely agree on the ultimate uselessness of these toys as you call them, I do not own any myself and hope never to do so.

However, Being huge money magnets as they are, these devices have many interested parties and people riding on their success in various ways.

The FBI might want to up their surveillance, but then they risk scaring people off from buying them, which in turn is bad for the manufacturers etc. and the less iphones in use the less people they can track. So hopefully some kind of natural balance will form here which to some extent will keep the FBI from going totally Big Brother style.

i heard once that 1984 was actually a reference to 1948, around the time when we all essentially became like the nazis (not hyperbole on my part)

Sort of. That's the year the novel was written.

pfff...its not even like they are going to use it that often....its obviously only going to be used for terrorism.

you guys need to calm down and enjoy life.

I hope the people worrying about this are not on Facebook. Don't use Google. Have turned off their cookies. And access the internet using TOR.

And only call pre-paid.

Guest Wall Bird

A nice, somewhat relevant, article/video from Edge.org entitled 'Reinventing Society in the Wake of Big Data' by Alex (Sandy) Pentland.

With Big Data we can now begin to actually look at the details of social interaction and how those play out, and are no longer limited to averages like market indices or election results. This is an astounding change. The ability to see the details of the market, of political revolutions, and to be able to predict and control them is definitely a case of Promethean fire --- it could be used for good or for ill, and so Big data brings us to interesting times. We're going to end up reinventing what it means to have a human society.

http://edge.org/conv...ake-of-big-data

Did you agree that Facebook could give their info to the government?

Not looking for an argument, btw. (been there and done that before). I still think there's no big difference between government having certain data, facebook, or any other institution. And if the government would do 'bad' stuff with their info, what would be the odds WATMM is being watched closely already? I still don't understand why government is so much worse than a commercial company, btw.

You do pay taxes, right? Given that info, the government knows a lot of things already. Phone bills add little extra info, in general.

Archived