IGNORED

A Remix

Squee

6 months ago I promised a guy from my university to make a remix for him. When I got the parts the vocals were swimming in autotune, and when I got the dry vocals they were completely out of tune. So, I've made an instrumental version for you guys because there is no way in hell I'm playing the vocal version for anyone...

[uPDATE Oct 28]

New and better sounding version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3973285/2012/Deadly%20Final%20Dub.mp3

Guest Frankie5fingers

damn, this is amazing. i definitely do not hear vocals going over this. i think it would ruin the track completely. fine as is.

Woah that's really good man - I can't imagine vocals on top, it sounds complete as it is. Love the delicacy of the instrument placing, and that piano .... beautiful !

Thanks a lot, guys! Truly appreciate it. I just listened to it again and I definitely need to fix a bunch of things, and I have some ideas. If I want to make an instrumental version I need something that'll keep the intro interesting. Also, I need to re-EQ the kick because I can barely hear it on my laptop - which to me is a pretty good reference :) The peak sucks so I'm gonna have to change that and somehow keep it interesting because as it is now it just loops twice and that's it. Boring!

Also, because of the small latency on my soundcard some of the delay effects, I made on my hardware, are out of sync. Tits!

Hm, it actually feels good writing these things down :)

Again, thanks a lot, guys. And yeah, there is a vocal version, but there are only vocals during the 2 minutes or so, and no I'm posting the vocal version, hehe :)

Guest drakmin

Sounds the better the more you add volume, especially the low end comes alive. I see abandoned city and light rain against battered buildings. I think the mood in this song is the strongest part even next to high technical quality. Thanks!

I know what you mean regarding being handed a dry, out of tune vocal, warts and all, and having to do something with it because of a promise made. I am currently working through the process of remixing with a vocal that is not my own and it has posed some interesting challenges!

This instrumental is delicate and sparse so there isn't really anywhere for the vocals to hide; it would be difficult to make them work if they weren't already brilliantly recorded and performed. I for one would be very curious to hear how you eventually integrate them. As mentioned there is a definite Pole vibe going on and the piano is wonderful (as is that string-like synth).

Also for curiosity's sake, why does it matter if your kick isn't audible on laptop speakers? Are you trying to get the mix to work fairly evenly across a wide range of hypothetical listening setups?

Sounds the better the more you add volume, especially the low end comes alive. I see abandoned city and light rain against battered buildings. I think the mood in this song is the strongest part even next to high technical quality. Thanks!

Hehe, thanks, man. I like abandoned cities AND rain, so that's just perfect :)

Yeah, the low end really pops out when you turn up the volume. I wonder if I can fix that so it'll be loud and punchy even if it's being played at a lower volume.

I know what you mean regarding being handed a dry, out of tune vocal, warts and all, and having to do something with it because of a promise made. I am currently working through the process of remixing with a vocal that is not my own and it has posed some interesting challenges!

This instrumental is delicate and sparse so there isn't really anywhere for the vocals to hide; it would be difficult to make them work if they weren't already brilliantly recorded and performed. I for one would be very curious to hear how you eventually integrate them. As mentioned there is a definite Pole vibe going on and the piano is wonderful (as is that string-like synth).

Thanks, man :)

The strings are real and so is the piano :)

Also for curiosity's sake, why does it matter if your kick isn't audible on laptop speakers? Are you trying to get the mix to work fairly evenly across a wide range of hypothetical listening setups?

Of course. There's no point in making music where the instruments aren't audible on all kinds of speakers. Imagine if you send a track to someone who previews it on a laptop and the kick is so deep he can't hear it. His first impression of the track will be fucked, and it will seem extremely unprofessional if you have to tell him that he has to listen to it with his headphones on or on some decent speakers. I usually listen to my stuff on my monitors, my laptop, my terrible stereo setup, my headphones, and on my iPhone speaker.

• 2 weeks later...

luvverly! the beginning reminds me of vienna by ultravox a little bit (not at all a bad thing). really nice though man, deep.

lol @ vienna by ultrabox. But thanks for the kind comment, man :)

holy hell, i wish i could make music like that. this is incredible!

Wauw, thanks a lot, man :)

Just make sure to ignore the vocal version when it gets released, okay?

good job man, quite professional sounding. you are a master of ambient sounds.

Hehehe, thanks. I appreciate it :)

Guest uptown devil

beautiful track. i can almost see the reverb trails in my mind. it has a nice spacious atmosphere in general and super detailed production throughout. there is a lot going on without much going on. nice work man.

beautiful track. i can almost see the reverb trails in my mind. it has a nice spacious atmosphere in general and super detailed production throughout. there is a lot going on without much going on. nice work man.

Hehe, I like that description :) Thanks, man

A great improvement of an already ace track - good work man :)

The precision of every element is just exceptional.

Awesome production, everything was exactly where it needed to be. Great work man. reminiscent of the Hitman soundtracks for me

Wow, thanks, man! Appreciate the Hitman-comment because I love what Jesper Kyd has done for video game soundtracks :)

i dig it. nice one

Cheers, man

Archived