IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Good Dinosaur is also on Pixar's upcoming plate, it better be markedly different than their last CG dinosaur movie. Frozen as well seems to be a Disney/Pixar collab overseen by Lasseter.

• 2 months later...
Guest teetime
Lucasfilm has announced that Star Wars: Episode VII director J.J. Abrams and Raiders of the Lost Ark writer Lawrence Kasdan have taken over screenwriting duties from Michael Arndt, an Oscar winner for Little Miss Sunshine and nominee for Toy Story 3, who had previously been working on the story. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/24/star-wars-episode-vii-j-j-abrams-and-lawrence-kasdan-now-rewriting-screenplay-breaking/

:facepalm:

Lawrence Kasdan could go either way, but I see it as a positive. Inexplainably, I have high hopes for this.

:facepalm: @stupid fanboy self.

Lucasfilm has announced that Star Wars: Episode VII director J.J. Abrams and Raiders of the Lost Ark writer Lawrence Kasdan have taken over screenwriting duties from Michael Arndt, an Oscar winner for Little Miss Sunshine and nominee for Toy Story 3, who had previously been working on the story. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/24/star-wars-episode-vii-j-j-abrams-and-lawrence-kasdan-now-rewriting-screenplay-breaking/

The plot made too much sense, so JJ couldn't understand it.

I don't see it as facepalm-worthy. Kasdan wrote ESB, the best Star Wars.

Guest teetime

Indeed. No Doubt about it "Empire" was Star Wars at its best, but this is the only script by Kasdan that is worth noting for. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001410/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

JJ Abrahams though is giving me a headache! His movies are just above average pseudo "spielbergian" mainstream blockbuster action flicks. Micheal Arndt as the screenwriter had so much potential. Worst case: Another Indy 4 debacle. The Indy 4 script has been rewritten quite a few times. Too many cooks spoil the soup. A grand space opus needs a clear vision with depth and characters. I have yet to see a Abrahams movie thats even close to spielberg flick even when steven is on auto pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

Does that mean that it'll be a christmas movie. "Feel the spirit of the christmas force luke." . Marketed at children, not proper space western like.

Or maybe it's for the toy sales. But then none of the kids will have seen the film, so won't feel as strong a need to purchase the items available.

Perhaps then it's to be read as a christmas present to Star Wars fans.

Either that or the obvious that they're scared of the Marvel Universe. And the summer blockbuster warzone that sees so many big budget films fall into oblivion.

I think it was a compromise, Abrams was pretty close to walking bc he didn't want to be rushed, but Iger insisted it has to come out before the end of 2015. Like 13 days before the end of 2015.

Does that mean that it'll be a christmas movie. "Feel the spirit of the christmas force luke." . Marketed at children, not proper space western like.

Or maybe it's for the toy sales. But then none of the kids will have seen the film, so won't feel as strong a need to purchase the items available.

Perhaps then it's to be read as a christmas present to Star Wars fans.

Either that or the obvious that they're scared of the Marvel Universe. And the summer blockbuster warzone that sees so many big budget films fall into oblivion.

They always roll out the toy lines before the movie premieres anyway, as part of the marketing.

Seems like they're scared of sharing a summer with Marvel and DC, which is fair enough. I don't want to see a summer like that either.

Perhaps LucasDisneyLucasDisneyDisney is trying to reclaim winter like Spielberg and Jaws started the summer market.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

december releases worked for lord of the rings, no reason it can't work for star wars.

photo-112.gif?_r=1365805789

:cisfor:

photo-7829.jpg?_r=1383504277

:cisfor:

Remember everybody, seems to be a thing these days for films that were coming out on a specific date to be pushed back. Re-shoots, problems with the editing, not testing as well as they'd hoped, or normal production delays, these things might help to push it into summer 16 or at least easter 16. Don't really like the idea that this thing is now in the sausage factory method of production, even though obviously the corporation has to justify their expenditure in picking up LucasArts, with some return well beyond the constant flow from toysales and that new probably shit tv show. Then again, perhaps a deadline is a good thing. Stops the procrastination, focuses the mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars episode VII: Little miss D2

Luke S is strung out on heroin, Bobba F is in it for the hunt, and nothing will stop r2-d2 from becoming the prettiest little robot in the brothel.

So is it refreshing that they look so awkward and nerdy? I suppose at least they're not all suited like Xbox Execs saying buzz for the money. But those two guys in the middle don't look very happy at all.

Is this better than having Lucas shit spiritual ("it's like poetry, they rhyme") all over it? Someone tell me what to think.

Indeed. No Doubt about it "Empire" was Star Wars at its best, but this is the only script by Kasdan that is worth noting for. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001410/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

JJ Abrahams though is giving me a headache! His movies are just above average pseudo "spielbergian" mainstream blockbuster action flicks. Micheal Arndt as the screenwriter had so much potential. Worst case: Another Indy 4 debacle. The Indy 4 script has been rewritten quite a few times. Too many cooks spoil the soup. A grand space opus needs a clear vision with depth and characters. I have yet to see a Abrahams movie thats even close to spielberg flick even when steven is on auto pilot.

Just throwing it out there - Besides Empire, what notable screenplays has Kasdan written since then?

Archived