IGNORED

New Aphex Piano Track

BCM

i'm sure plenty of you listen to jasionowski, satie,bartok,Schade, cage, Einaudi ,Hikaru,winston and of course cecil taylor …. all the time and own many of their cds/lps etc….and patronize their respective performances.
Or course Cecil Taylor... (and Arvo Part)

Wait, I'm not sure I follow your point ? :unsure:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm sure plenty of you listen to jasionowski, satie,bartok,Schade, cage, Einaudi ,Hikaru,winston and of course cecil taylor …. all the time and own many of their cds/lps etc….and patronize their respective performances.

You're not alone.

You're not alone.

I think his point is that we're fanboys for RDJ and RDJ alone.

Guest murphythecat8
ok

i'll admit fault

i should not have undermined the collective tastes of wattm.

Finally, someone says it. after reading four page of this thread!

First of all, I like the music in the clip, it suits me. HOWEVER, I can not accept anyone saying that this is a good composition.

I listen 50% of my 10 hours per day, to jazz or classical music. The rest of the music I listen is electronica!

Okay, my thgouht on the clip.

I have no problem about a swinging piano. I think its a smart idea because it can bring interesting texture to music. however, here, the composition is quite flat that even if the piano would do 360's, I couldnt care less. The composition is borderline boring.

But of course, if you dont know Cage's, bartok, schubert sonata's, you will think that this is a beautiful composition.

The argument that this music is interesting because its not made in a DAW is quite shocking. do you guys really only listen to electronica?

I dont want to be negative, but I cannot conceive someone with a large knowledge of music history think that this composition has anything really special or unique. Sure, its a bit warm, I like piano sonata's, I like calming music, I cannot stand for the most part any symphonies, way too excited for me and fake, but this composition is not interesteing enough. The silents are not totally perfect, like if he stick to one idea and one idea only in the whole song?? I cannot conceive any classically trained pianist that would think that the composition is special or profound. Most of the person's here have sadly, not enough musical background to rate this composition accurately. I dont make attacks, but I sincerely beleive that.

No my taste are not the best, I feel quite retarded to even like some electronica I like. But what can you do, I like some big kick and a good simple bassline sometimes!

compared to people saying they adore beethoven symphonies or are able to fully connect with bartok work, I am super envious and wish I was there. not yet, my taste are not fine enough. I love shubert sonata however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExUosomc8Uc

Guest murphythecat8
Sounds ike pretentious drivel to me.

That's because you're a frat boy.

whi is this guy still here? Why isnt he ban or something? All he does is freaking attacking people, insulting them.

But of course, if you dont know Cage's, bartok, schubert sonata's, you will think that this is a beautiful composition.

Possibly the dumbest thing ever said on this forum ever. :facepalm:

I love Bartok and Cage. I also love this tune.

It's an ambient piece, for frig sake.

Sounds ike pretentious drivel to me.

That's because you're a frat boy.

whi is this guy still here? Why isnt he ban or something? All he does is freaking attacking people, insulting them.

I love you.

again? you again insulting someone. now I said one of the dumbest thing ever? dude!!!!!!

If people come out and say "This tune just isn't doing it for me, but hey that's just me" then fair enough.

But when people are saying explicitly that it requires a lack of education to enjoy this song (implying that all of us that like this song are philistines), then they've opened the door for trash talk.

No no no

He trash talked the piece in the first place. And was open enough about the implications towards the people still liking it.

He does have a point though. Afx writes uninspired piano pieces, but by putting a piano on a swing, masterfully creates the illusion of some sort of musical mastery.

I finally understand the lack of a new album.... His music just isn't good enough to be pressed on a record and stand the test of time without all the fluff of a performance surrounding it.

Also, lol

ok

i'll admit fault

i should not have undermined the collective tastes of wattm.

Finally, someone says it. after reading four page of this thread!

First of all, I like the music in the clip, it suits me. HOWEVER, I can not accept anyone saying that this is a good composition.

I listen 50% of my 10 hours per day, to jazz or classical music. The rest of the music I listen is electronica!

Okay, my thgouht on the clip.

I have no problem about a swinging piano. I think its a smart idea because it can bring interesting texture to music. however, here, the composition is quite flat that even if the piano would do 360's, I couldnt care less. The composition is borderline boring.

The argument that this music is interesting because its not made in a DAW is quite shocking. do you guys really only listen to electronica?

I dont want to be negative, but I cannot conceive someone with a large knowledge of music history think that this composition has anything really special or unique. Sure, its a bit warm, I like piano sonata's, I like calming music, I cannot stand for the most part any symphonies, way too excited for me and fake, but this composition is not interesteing enough. The silents are not totally perfect, like if he stick to one idea and one idea only in the whole song?? I cannot conceive any classically trained pianist that would think that the composition is special or profound. Most of the person's here have sadly, not enough musical background to rate this composition accurately. I dont make attacks, but I sincerely beleive that.

No my taste are not the best, I feel quite retarded to even like some electronica I like. But what can you do, I like some big kick and a good simple bassline sometimes!

compared to people saying they adore beethoven symphonies or are able to fully connect with bartok work, I am super envious and wish I was there. not yet, my taste are not fine enough. I love shubert sonata however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExUosomc8Uc

dumb

No no no

He trash talked the piece in the first place. And was open enough about the implications towards the people still liking it.

He does have a point though. Afx writes uninspired piano pieces, but by putting a piano on a swing, masterfully creates the illusion of some sort of musical mastery.

I finally understand the lack of a new album.... His music just isn't good enough to be pressed on a record and stand the test of time without all the fluff of a performance surrounding it.

Also, lol

dumber

Man, every couple days or so I listen to it just to make sure I'm not imagining something.

And every time I'm touched by how lovely it is.

Once, again I don't get the hate.

Everyone knows that the swinging-from-a-rope isn't just a random pretentious touch, it's for the benefit of the actual aural/physical experience of the piece, right? That if we were in that room listening to it live (in 'stereo' as it were) then the purpose of the swinging would be self-evident, right? You know that stuff doesn't translate across a mono iPhone recording, right? Just checking.

You guys are impossible when it comes to criticism towards things you like. Do you happen to be made of sugar, by any chance?

Edit: whoops. My cellphone is acting weird.

Lol

You guys are impossible when it comes to criticism towards things you like. Do you happen to be made of suger, by any chance?

I try to maintain the same openness and enthusiasm for music that I had when I was a kid.

From that standpoint, swinging a piano to generate interesting acoustic phenomena is obviously more interesting than keeping the piano in one place.

Who knows, maybe I'll turn cynical one day and call him pretentious for doing so.

You suck at trash talking when you have to bring your own childhood to the table to give yourself some credibility. Poor attempt.

Huh?

I don't care about credibility, and I wasn't talking about my childhood.

I was talking about why I like the piano track. It amuses me on a very basic level.

Are you trash talking yourself now, or is my lol at your post not what you were aiming for.

When i was a kid i used to love that kind of mindfuckery

I quit trash-talking like half a page ago.

Mindfuckery? I don't see it like that.

I see it like Marc Ribot or Eric Dolphy or something where you try to do new things and get new sounds with the instrument.

So when other people are honest, you start to trash talk.and when others start to trash talk, you turn serious? Is that what this is all about? And you decide when it's time to trash or be serious?

Come on man, this is lame. LameyLoo

So when other people are honest, you start to trash talk.and when others start to trash talk, you turn serious? Is that what this is all about? And you decide when it's time to trash or be serious? Come on man, this is lame. LameyLoo

No you're lame.

Archived