IGNORED

New Aphex Piano Track

BCM

lol

even funnier than the pretentious swinging piano is the fact that so many of you pine for the uninspired, reheated microwave dinner that was Drukqs.

*runs back and hides in the overgrown ruins of the BoC forum*

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great. Wish I was there to experience the reverb.

No new ideas? He put the friggin piano on a swing, dammit!

lol

even funnier than the pretentious swinging piano is the fact that so many of you pine for the uninspired, reheated microwave dinner that was Drukqs.

*runs back and hides in the overgrown ruins of the BoC forum*

At first, I thought that putting the piano on a swing was a bit of a gimmick, but then I was thinking about it and it is actually pretty awesome. The swinging of a piano like a pendulum, while it is playing, must be the only way to create a natural doppler effect with that particular, analog instrument. It's kind of like a Leslie Speaker, but on a much larger scale. Sort of a slow, sonic vibrato.

Why synthesize the sound when you can just swing the instrument? It must have sounded pretty great, live.

mr E are u a pickup artist

anyway. i thought about this some and if swinging pianos and stuff like that is what people want, if there's a target audience/market for this kind of thing, i have some ideas i think i can contribute to this field.

idea #1) a grand piano painted in black/white checkered pattern, out in the middle of a flat desert, with girls peeing on the strings (lid open) and a midget/little person wearing a jester's cap dancing around on the keys. a bowl of neatly organized rotten fruit sitting on the bench. scorpions

2) a piano made out of shivs, hardened TP, toothbrushes, cigarettes, and other contraband being played in a penitentiary by a very nervous/worried man dressed in very fancy suit with coat-tails (he was smuggled in), with a bunch of scary inmates angrily watching, waiting for the smallest mistake as their signal to pounce. the music gets sad and the scariest one sheds a tear at the end.

3) an upright piano full of honey&bumblebees, used to produce a drone ambient track by a guy in a bee suit. honey all coming up out of the cracks between the keys

4) piano made out of rusty metal, deep in a forrest, being played by no one but with the sound of a nearby babbling brook, to symbolize eternity vs the futility of man

5) a piano submerged underwater, in a reef, with lid open and dolphins 'playing' it by using their echolocation to create resonances with the strings, picked up by an array of hydrophones. then the dolphins get caught in a tuna net

NEXT LEVEL academic beats. watch this spot for announcements about tickets, and pm me for contact info to make donations and speed along the process.

OK it's not that similar and I do think Aphex did a pretty classy job with what he had, which is, um, a fucking swinging piano that must have been incredibly expensive. But there's definitely a resemblance. Anyway, judge for yourself if you like:

http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=71776128&ac=now

Has anyone else noticed that this is a slowed down reworking of avril 14th? It follows the same structure, just slowed down, and some of the notes are removed or changed to a harmonically related note.

I don't know about all that. It isn't even the same scale I don't believe.

One of the Wroclaw tracks was a slowed down and more sparse version of Avril, though.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41535992/wroclaw/05%20AFX%20Set%20Part%202%20%28Avril%2014th%20Remix%29.mp3

Yeah, that is pretty blatant.

Sounds very sad.

photo-10215.jpg?_r=1352981624

lol

WHY

i mean, so now aphex is a performance artist, like as in, 'art'?

what next, is he going to place a hundred open umbrellas on a hundred pianos along-side the highway?

or be like andy warhol and have girls pee on his piano while his robot plays it?

or be more like john cage and release a cd full of silence and call it 54.39?

i guess it makes sense though. he won over the drugged out ravers in the 90s, and the 'intelligent dance music listeners' after, but to really get in the history books, you have to give boners to the academic crowd. so swinging pianos it is!

Aphex has always been a performance artist. You should brush up on his live shows.

Here is one example:

One of the Wroclaw tracks was a slowed down and more sparse version of Avril, though.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41535992/wroclaw/05%20AFX%20Set%20Part%202%20%28Avril%2014th%20Remix%29.mp3

Yeah, that is pretty blatant.

i was thinking we were talking about that one for some stupid reason

Archived