IGNORED

Xtal vocal source

salvakkpooo

amazing find - maybe aphex twin enlightened somebody about that sample - either way its nice - shame the video is now private - whats the point in that?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amazing find - maybe aphex twin enlightened somebody about that sample - either way its nice - shame the video is now private - whats the point in that?

To not get sued?

it was useless if you wanted to sample it anyway cause the record was in poor condition and has tons of pop hisses and scratches

Frankly, I'm with Moby on this one:

At one point I ran it through a Pro Tools filter that can get rid of surface noise, but once I'd got rid of the noise I felt like a lot of the interesting character of the vocal had disappeared as well, so I just decided to leave the vocal with all the scratches and surface noise.

Noise doesn't bother me at all. A little bit of background noise creates such a nice atmosphere. There are a bunch of songs on the record where you can hear some SMPTE bleeding through, or you can hear the noise of the room in which the guitar was recorded, for example. I hate sterile recordings. Life is messy and there's no reason why recording shouldn't be. Let the patches be messy and let there be a little bit of noise, and if it's a really irritating noise get rid of it. If making it pristine means that the recording's going to be wonderful then great, it works for some people, but I think too many engineers and musicians get focused on this arbitrary idea that recordings have to be pristine and sterile. Some of my favourite records are really messy --- you can hear the human element there.

Then again, I like Mellotron and Orchestron samples...

Good interview!

Good interview!

Yeah, I'd really like to see more interviews with musicians in which they talk about making music, but I realise it's a niche interest...

Good interview!

Yeah, I'd really like to see more interviews with musicians in which they talk about making music, but I realise it's a niche interest...

Seriously.

The Red Bull Music Academy lectures are good at getting into the nitty gritty, but even then 70% of the questions are about "the life."

Guest pixelives

This guy Paul Durango (from France, I believe) had a website a few years ago called The Library Hunt where he digitized literally hundreds upon hundreds of library records all organized by imprint and genre. Found some amazing stuff there. Lots of synthy 80's stuff, soundtracky 80's stuff, one that I found that I can only describe as sounding like an instrumental Steely Dan records produced by Martin Hannett. :music:

I believe it's mostly lost to the ether now since most of the DL links were megaupload and rapidshare. He shifted the focus of the site to other things it seems.

Guest jasondonervan

I have this record and never once clocked the sample. I haven't listened to it in years, and never really as a whole in one sitting, but still...

*hands in IDM membership badge*

This is probably a good time to briefly mention Raymond Scott, who lived up to the idiosyncratic engineer mythos even more than the Twin does. :) I'd recommend the book about him featuring a double CD set of some of his work, named after his company, Manhattan Research Inc. Though I have a few of the Soothing Sounds for Baby series, and as much as I like them (Fingerbib even reminds me of Lullaby a bit), I can see why they didn't sell well given how kinda ominous some of the tracks are. :D

Manhattan Research Inc is an awesome package, the 'book' and both discs. Lots of the tracks being the audio as it appeared in the final TV commercial have either narration about a product or a jingle with Scott's various sound toys giving weird gurgling sounds or whatever, and those are cool in their own way, but if you went through and picked out only the instrumental music tracks you have a solid album's worth of good to great 'IDM'/ambient from 30-40yrs before aphex, ae, etc did it. People often accuse aphex etc of being geniuses, but this guy went so much further off the beaten path of his time. He invented all the stuff that generated all the sounds you hear in those tracks, and heavily pioneered the sequencer. His electronium was like a computer that generated melodies, mutated them in various ways and played them, but unlike a computer it was entirely electrical/mechanical. I don't remember if it was in the book or somewhere online I saw his wife mention that the thing would be in the other room just making up and playing music, like a piece of musical furniture that generates sweet ambient tunes all day (and I think he had plans of mass producing and marketing it this way). He was like an actual mad scientist who made incredible electronic tracks decades before it was a genre, and this was all AFTER he had composed and moved away from 'jazz' pieces which were later used in Loony Tunes shorts making his music among the most heard/influential of the century, probably beyond Elvis and Michael Jackson, even.

I've emailed the people who compiled MRI and asked if/when they would do another release of stuff from their vaults and they said they had plans and it would take time. It shouldn't take over a decade to pick some tracks from tapes and convert them with possibly some minimal touching up etc. Apparently there just isn't enough interest to get them moving, which totally bums me out.

Yeah, sadly this stuff is very niche interest. What people like Raymond Scott, Daphne Oram and Delia Derbyshire were doing is much more interesting than what most people are doing these days in my opinion. I mean, there's not a single genre I wouldn't want to exist, but it seems a waste to think that electronic music and dance music must be synonymous. Electronic equipment can produce wonderful sounds for background ambience and general listening, it can be sublime or haunting (Wendy Carlos, anyone?) and you can dance to acoustic and electric music as long as it's got a swinging beat (try listening to Chuck Berry without dancing).

Raymond Scott's one of the more taken-to-its-logical-conclusion type electronic musician role models though... sending jingles to companies on the offchance they'd like to consider using them in their adverts, making money that way, and then using that money to buy electronics and related equipment to build his own elaborate machines for generating and playing music. It kind of puts that Pirelli advert featuring The Garden of Linmiri and retrofitting MIDI into old synths into perspective.

..but it seems a waste to think that electronic music and dance music must be synonymous. Electronic equipment can produce wonderful sounds for background ambience and general listening, it can be sublime or haunting (Wendy Carlos, anyone?) and you can dance to acoustic and electric music as long as it's got a swinging beat (try listening to Chuck Berry without dancing).

i absolutely agree. i know lots of people over here in the states who think that 'electronic music' = dance music, and to me it just means that it's some music made with any combination of computers/synthesizers/etc ('traditional' instruments can even make appearances), and it could sound like anything. but you could even consider the huge autechre threads where everyone goes on about how each of their albums sound entirely different from one another. no, they don't. not in the grand scheme of things, when compared to all of the various types of music that has been made in the entirety of history. if you could make one of those relationship graphs where each item on it is a dot and they are all connected with lines of various length/thickness to denote strength of relation, and you could put an entry for every piece of music ever made on that graph, the vast majority of autechre tracks would be so closely grouped you couldn't even tell them apart, with a huge sea of stuff spreading out in all directions around them. at least they would have that small area mostly to themselves while most other electronic music, as you pointed out, would be in the small area for 'dance music'.

Ah, so you also like to picture the tree of music? It's much more complex than the tree of life, as each release (akin to a single lifeform) or genre (akin to a species) can have multiple parents of inspiration / sample sources / whatever else you'd like to use to signify memetic inheritance, and those parents can be as disparate as you'd like, from completely different phylum equivalents. (Hmm, come to think of it, I guess that means it's not a tree after all, then.) That, and if you really know what you're doing and don't care about popularity or sales, you can just make up your own entire phylum equivalent (maybe even kingdom), with no real parents. Which is a fun thing to try, as long as it doesn't get in the way too much of also making music that other people actually want to listen to, hence why I've sometimes obsessed so much about trying to make unique music from first principles. Autechre came sort of close ish, but yeah, Incunabula aside (which is well within ambient techno anyway, so not alone), everything they've done is very similar to everything else they've done (at least as far as I'm currently up to, LP5), if not to anything else. They're not making a whole new genre each time, only once. Although to be honest, even that's far more than most people do, and not necessarily a useful goal!

dont forget

or

Todd DOckstader

lots of others

Aphex has a great ear. He makes great music. When i was less informed in the 90's i thought his building gear was so important to his sound, but now i realize there are shitloads of nerds that do that and it has no bearing on their music. most is awful actually. I always get a little depressed when i go on youtube and listen to geeks with their synths. Its usually bad.

yeah zoey it's all interesting stuff. i think you have it a lot more smartly thought out than myself! ;)

but anyway, i've never heard of this 'library music' stuff up until now and it looks pretty interesting and possibly cool.

Aphex has a great ear. He makes great music. When i was less informed in the 90's i thought his building gear was so important to his sound, but now i realize there are shitloads of nerds that do that and it has no bearing on their music. most is awful actually. I always get a little depressed when i go on youtube and listen to geeks with their synths. Its usually bad.

There are several useful skills to have as a musician. Being able to put everything together, knowing exactly when an instrument needs to be doubled or shifted up an octave or swapped out for a different instrument; being able to actually play instruments; being able to sing; being able to write good melodies, harmonies and rhythms; EQing and compressing; wiring up patches; and even being able to make the instruments themselves. However, being good at any one of these things doesn't automatically make you good at the others! When Alanis Morissette composes, writes lyrics, plays and sings, and Glen Ballard plays and produces, you can get spectacular results, but either one of them on their own wouldn't be anywhere near as good. (OK, with that particular example, maybe they would, but only because they both have pretty diverse skillsets.) The trick is to realise when you're good enough at one of these skills and move on to learning another one. There are plenty of hackers who can, for instance, write music making software but not music, or for that matter write a word processor application, but not use it to write a novel. Both are good skills, but very different. Having said all that, it can be really useful to be a Jack of all trades, as Adam Savage is always keen to point out in his speeches. :D

I mean, it's pretty badass that Neal Stephenson wrote The Baroque Cycle longhand, then transcribed it into TeX, then converted that using LISP... but that's not why people have heard of him. They've heard of him because he wrote Snow Crash. The main thing you're doing, such as writing or music making (which are pretty similar in many ways) has to always come first. Don't muck around with typesetting or other tool creation so much that it's to the detriment of you practicing your main craft.

So if you're writing a song and really want to put in an acidline but can't find a step sequencer which can apply portamento to arbitrary notes at the time, then it's great if you can build one, as you don't have to rely on someone else to do it for you. But it won't in and of itself make you a better musician, it'll just make you less reliant on other people for the tools you need to do your job.

yeah zoey it's all interesting stuff. i think you have it a lot more smartly thought out than myself! ;)

but anyway, i've never heard of this 'library music' stuff up until now and it looks pretty interesting and possibly cool.

In my own (currently still very limited) experience, it's easier to make money right now by licensing music to directors than by selling it to consumers, doubly so as the films serve as adverts for your music as well. Library music's a pretty smart move. It's just a shame no one ever tried selling it to the public as well, back in the day. I for one would love to buy the music used in James Burke's Connections, for instance. Hell, I'd even buy Gelg's score for Look Around You if it was available...

Archived