IGNORED

If Passion Pit was an 80's Smooth Jazz/Funk Group

Lane Visitor

lol check 3:33 .. not at all passion pit, but more like music you'd hear during an infomercial for some kind of senior citizen romantic getaway cruise to the bahamas haha. .. that or music to an opening scene to a 90s sitcom.

Honestly, maybe something's wrong with my brain or I've become jaded with music, but I can't get enough of this stuff hahaha. it's so corny that it's actually awesome. total contemporary 80's nightlife feel. I actually discovered the CD of this music "Call of The Wild" by Generation Band in my grandpa's music cabinet along with all of his big band/classical CDs. I think he must have found it at a dollar bargain bin at a Circuit City in the 90's or something.. Strangely, the CD release is rare and out of print, and is only available online, where vendors are asking b/t $75-170. So random.

http://www.musicstack.com/album/generation+band/call+of+the+wild

Salvatorin, yes I've come to realize that I am also whole heartedly a fan of this kind of music (unironically). I thought at first it was ironically, then slowly discovered that I actually dig it (:

Ryuichi Sakamoto is brilliant, and one of my favorite musicians/composers. Love the stuff he did with Alvo Noto. Also, Rain, Energy Flow, Undercooled... mmmm. just gorgeous. Something about the smooth jazz/funk in the 80's seemed very Japanese inspired as far as tone and some of the progressions and harmonies. It's interesting how I can hear some of that sound in the work of Cornelius and Shinichi Osawa (Shin kinda makes sense considering he was Mondo Grosso).

Generation Band, Casiopea and basically anything on TBA Records and Tapes has been my go-to for that stuff.

Archived