IGNORED

I save tracks as 128kb mp3 & delete the work files

Cryptowen

For years I've had the idea of making a track that revolves around mp3 artifacting, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

... if only jpeg compression had one this year's most IDM tournament!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just think of how many people plugged their guitar into an amp & accidentally made a big nasty distortion & thought "oh my god that sounds terrible" before Howlin Wolf or whoever went "hey, i bet i can use that for something"

Just think of how many people plugged their guitar into an amp & accidentally made a big nasty distortion & thought "oh my god that sounds terrible" before Howlin Wolf or whoever went "hey, i bet i can use that for something"

I'm with you, mate.

Personally I don't like what converting to 128kb does to my tracks, namely the two ends of the frequency spectrum. If I'm gonna process my stuff (which I do alot of) I prefer to dial it in more precisely.

Yeah, it's definitely the kind of thing that could wreck a track & is probably better off being strategically applied to specific elements, but I do a lot of really minimalist stuff where it's all running through one effects chain anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont even save my tracks, i just create them, master them, delete them, and then remember how fucking mindblowing they were and ensure that i tell everyone i know just how good they were.

blum blom bl bl bl bl bl blep blep blep, blum blom bl bl bl bl bl blep blep blep, was how my greatest tune went. im sure you can understand how the subtley entwined rising melancholic modal melody complimented its exuberantly complex harmony, which utilised the modes of limited transposition to a level of originality only surpassed by mozarts enormous cock you utter tits.

i dont even save my tracks, i just create them, master them, delete them, and then remember how fucking mindblowing they were and ensure that i tell everyone i know just how good they were.

blum blom bl bl bl bl bl blep blep blep, blum blom bl bl bl bl bl blep blep blep, was how my greatest tune went. im sure you can understand how the subtley entwined rising melancholic modal melody complimented its exuberantly complex harmony, which utilised the modes of limited transposition to a level of originality only surpassed by mozarts enormous cock you utter tits.

when's your next record not coming out?

Haha, I love that. My old soundcard used to fuck up and create the most earsplitting onslaught of crackling and static. I wish there were some means for me of recording it at the time, because I would definitely use it for something now.

Guest Rulohead32

haha. You chaps might already know this trick, but open up a wav in a text editor, and C+P the stuff around a bunch then save it. Glitch mania.

and how do you open an audio in a text editor?

Guest Rulohead32

File -> Open

(just don't kill the header -> leave the first line of text to be safe)

lol ok :fail:

OMG I opened the wav file and it started to sound from nowhere, I couldn't stop it unless I finished the openoffice process on task manager! wtf

just save back to a wav or whatever it was.

Open office might not work as it's going to add a bunch of formatting shit in there. Might though. notepad or text edit works best. The simpler the better. Just skip the first 20 lines or so. work in the middle.

haha. You chaps might already know this trick, but open up a wav in a text editor, and C+P the stuff around a bunch then save it. Glitch mania.

I'm going to have to try that

Maybe this is on topic. My computer once corrupted a wav of mine somehow and turned it into this crazy distortion/mashup of every song in my bounces folder and it sounds like a robot crackhead FM radio dial on crack, on meth. Its neat.

http://soundcloud.com/morgangreenwood/cpudeath

That's awesome

just save back to a wav or whatever it was.

Open office might not work as it's going to add a bunch of formatting shit in there. Might though. notepad or text edit works best. The simpler the better. Just skip the first 20 lines or so. work in the middle.

I was using cmd/edit for such a stuff (it works also to glitch up bitmaps), I think notepad is applying some formating.

There is also this: http://vaetxh.com/audio/file-radio/ it`s a bit different- it plays just about any file as audio but it works best with uncompressed txt files, like windows/inf folder.

Archived