IGNORED

I save tracks as 128kb mp3 & delete the work files

Cryptowen

Also, if you guys think you will achieve what SAW I did with the shitty quality, you dont deserve to make music, SAW 1 works because its honest, richard did not intended the album to sound like that, he didn't sat down and try to scheme a way to trick people, the album sounded like that because thats how it happen.

The fact that some people try to emulate SAW i's sound quality just because it may resonate with people who liked SAW 1 is disgusting to me and its just as bad as record labels using math formulas to make shitty chart-topping pop songs.

Something i find in common with artists i like is their artistic honesty.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just take other bands' music, import it into Audacity, reduce the project sample rate to 8000Hz, normalize it to +5dB and save it as an 8Kbps MP3.

No really, that's what some people on Soundcloud do.

I usually just extract the hi hats, convert those to a 128kbps mp3, covert that back to a 24 bit wav (the rest of the track is in 16bit), then delete the project file, master the hats and send it to Warp. This gets me signed every time.

Sean pls

I usually just extract the hi hats, convert those to a 128kbps mp3, covert that back to a 24 bit wav (the rest of the track is in 16bit), then delete the project file, master the hats and send it to Warp. This gets me signed every time.

how many times has Warp signed you now?

I've lost count.

Sean pls

:braindance:

Also, if you guys think you will achieve what SAW I did with the shitty quality, you dont deserve to make music

dawg what are u sayin nobody even mentioned afx twins

Degradation is a totally valid tool in music, & to imply using it when the option of super clean high end recording is available is just as goofy as saying you don't respect art if you paint with cheap acrylics on the back of scrap paper, while having enough money to afford good quality oils & canvas

I agree "trying to sound like SAW" is a generally goofy reason for doing things, but "intentionally low quality = imitating the fex" is a crazy bold assumption for a concept that's been widely used in so many different ways by so many different people

plus if i was trying to cop someone's style here it would totally be Jandek

Guest Rulohead32

Why don't you all save project files? What if you want to change sonething later?

And btw, you somehow have to reconvert to wav before uploading to bandcamp.

Wav > mp3 320 when exporting and importing, for not losing any kind of quality; but when listening, mp3 320 > wav because only loses inaudible freqs and wastes less space.

Guest chunky

yes it's all about .wav these days

no need for mp3

tape is even better

let there be a fashion rage about analogue recording so that some companies can invest in r&ding up some new analogue formats that sound better and are more durable than magnetic tape or plastic

Guest Rulohead32

I don't know who's joking and who's serious in this thread now.... Brain unbloads.

I'm serious. It's true: why would you want to delete project files? I didn't do that months ago and now I regret it.

I wouldn't - I remember the frustration I had when I couldn't open a project file in Buzz after updating to a new build, as I needed a full quality mix for a 'best of' compilation, and had to make to with a 160kbps mp3. Since then I tend to render my tracks as FLACs for listening purposes AND keep the project files if I want to remaster things at a later date.

I just assumed everyone was joking except for the people who responded to the joke posts like they were made by crazy people.

Seriously though, you should always delete everything you do because it increases how rare it is and therefore makes it more valuable. But always save the hi hats so you can convert them to 128kbps later.

I just lost my mind trying to figure out where the truth ends and the joking starts in this thread.

I'm totally srs about the deleting the work files thing. If a track feels like it's gon be killer after a few hours work, I'll devote full attention to it until it's done. If it doesn't then generally I assume no amount of going back to it in the future is gonna change that, & I'm better off starting fresh. In both scenarios deleting the work files signifies the end of an era, the era of "that track i made that time".

The saving to 128kb thing, I'm half srs about. I do that with most of my tracks & all my samples, but if I had something really rare sounding I'd probably keep a higher quality version on-hand (unless the mp3 sounded better to me which it sometimes does). It's more the psychology that appeals to me, the idea of making music for music's sake & not for some hypothetical future Warp/Rephlex/OWSLA release that doesn't actually exist

Guest Rulohead32

I save the files at 128kpbs 8000Hz and then I open audacity, I only change the tempo and the tone at -80%, I make a drawing on Paint with the mouse and I upload a video with the still drawing and the audio to "~~†††wi†chH0u5€♥d4Rkz†††~~" channel.

i save my tracks as 1bit/1hz files and then scoff at people who don't get my art.

Just how low of a bitrate will modern software go? Audacity will do 8kHz/8kbps.

i'll check Cubase's export settings tomorrow...(I've never exported anything lower than 16/44.1)

Archived