IGNORED

Slavoj Žižek

Guest Etch

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

How are you finding the Nexus btw?

It's a great phone. Now that the Nexus 4 is out you can probably pick one up for peanuts, but thanks to the (admittedly, in recent months, less-) active development community, you can find tonnes of great ROMs and kernels to make it run smoother than a minimally-violent people's revolution.

haha

my favorite of his is "My Got!"

edit: I will also say his writings are FAR more enjoyable if you imagine his voice reading as you go along.

Guest dese manz hatin

Whoa, wait, are some people still communists? Are you fucking kidding me?

Gonna take a wild guess and assume you own at least one Sam Harris book

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lol

Guest the anonymous forumite

Zicek has some interesting creative thinking but nevertheless remains in the jail of absurdity that is post-modernism.

If you can quote Zizek but can't do a double integral: you're an illiterate, and no amount of Big Think interviews will save you.

Also, no, I've never read or owned a Sam Harris book.

Guest Iain C

If you can quote Zizek but can't do a double integral: you're an illiterate, and no amount of Big Think interviews will save you.

Also, no, I've never read or owned a Sam Harris book.

Haha wait, you actually think maths is true?

Guest Iain C

Zizek has shown that the only true science is Marxism, and the only true mathematics is the dialectic. "Double integrals" whatever they are, are only useful for the pseudoscience of 'economics', a purely ideological construction designed to justify and perpetuate capitalist hegemony. QED.

the point of philosophy is just to pick up chicks, right? As the post on page one with Slavoj and his blushing daug - er, bride shows. Bravo to Mr. Zizek, but as I get older I find it harder to take stuff like this seriously. I started watching the first vid and just seeing a big room filled with people hanging on his every word, makes me kind of amazed and sad. Nothing wrong with debating and philosophizing per se, but this guy, despite his endearing tics, still speaks in a voice that is trying to be authoritative (if avuncular). Maybe I'll have to watch more, but based on what I've seen so far, he just seems like an academic who has devised a clever persona as a means to pull tail (and avoid getting a real job). Liked the way he managed to drop the line about "having the biggest IQ in the room" in a roundabout way. A truly humble person would never even have brought it up.

the point of philosophy is just to pick up chicks, right? As the post on page one with Slavoj and his blushing daug - er, bride shows.

Right, and the point of talking is inviting for blowjob by demonstrating qualities of tongue and mouth.

he's fun and im fond of various manifestations of post-modernism in general but i'm quite repulsed by this concept of celebrity thinkers/scientists like him, like chomsky or neil degrasse tyson or any other kind that pop in your suggested youtube videos for no apparent reason and have something "important and smart" to say about every imaginable topic.

real scientists should be miserable, methodical and focused imo, their works should speak for itself and you should never see them or know anything about their lives.

Guest zaphod

i sort of agree with eugene, at least in the sense that scientists and philosophers shouldn't really be celebrities or invite that kind of attention.

Archived