IGNORED

Various Artists - EDM B2

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

*Fingers crossed for Del*

Hottest day of the year just got hotter!

Norman Records phanx

Grant phanx

Richard phanx

Guest Spunk Monkey

Review from Norman Recs.........With a reference to this very forum! :w00t:

A few years ago for around six months the Rephlex flag flew at half mast while die-hard fans keenly waited vinyl pressings of the Zwischenwelt and Dwayne Omarr releases to appear on vinyl which were unfortunately never to materialise.

Then over a period of months records by Photodementia and EOD began to surface. The former not bearing the Rephlex name and a fake press release. There was much speculation as to whether this was a Rephlex associated project and after another 12" and a CD it emerged that David Barnard (Monolith) was behind the work. Then the first edition in an apparent 26 CD series of 'EDM' compilations arrived and an AP Musik CD (which was later to be discovered to be one Aleksi Perälä) The 'EDM A2' disc caused quite a stir as to who was behind the tracks, some of the pseudonyms were obviously the work of Jodey Kendrick, others are yet to be confirmed. So although these CD's don't bare the classic Rephlex logo the Braindace flag is clearly flying high. And it's great to see them still nurturing new blood.

'EDM B2' is an excellent selection of both club and home listening with contributions from Heidi Lord, Compo Mendez, Jidomatix, Black Narcissuss, J.K., Alain Kepler, + 10 and TX81z. I suspect this may all be the work of Jodey Kendrick but I think the intention here is to take the music on face value and have no expectations from who's behind it and let the music do its thing.

There are some belters on here traversing classic uplifting Braindace moments of sheer joy that really remind what a gift electronic music is. Electro (check the sinister sci-fi futurist 'Clodah' Part 2', break beat/ hardcore, techno etc. All expertly constructed with groove, funk, soul and energy. Some superb beats on here and really affecting melodies. As well as the more floor friendly gear there are also many more chilled quieter moments of reflection like the lush darker ambient moments of Black Narciussus' 'Till The Rains Break' and the soundtrack-ish 'Man Hunt 1' and 'Billy' by J.K complete with sinister strings and piano.

Good shit all round and I'd say essential for any true Rephlex fan or just fans of well produced and mainly original electronic music despite a few obvious (good) inspired reference points and theres fuck all wrong with that so people on the WATMM forum should stop being cry babies.

It works dead well as an album to listen to in its entirety rather than skipping through to a few choice tracks. I'd say forget about who may or not be behind these tracks. This is proper 'Electronic Dance Music' - Just let the music take control. There are moments of darkness, melancholy as well as euphoria, more accessible and some stranger moments so it's quite a ride.

Also I'm liking the minimal, simple yet affective graphic design too and tongue in cheek EDM reference. This is turning out to be quite a series and judging by the amount of copies we have shitting out the door you guys are lapping them up. Keep em comin'. Recommended

I don't see many people complaining about the fact that the Rephlex artists make braindance. I really enjoyed A2, and I imagine I will enjoy B2. Even Dave Monolith's stuff, which in my opinion rips Aphex harder than anyone, is still really amazing work. Photodemtia Fig. 04 is brilliant. There seems to be a pattern of people ripping on WATMM recently for being overly critical, but I don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something though.

I don't think you're missing anything. Labeling people as "cry babies" or "trolls" because their opinions differ from the majority's , seems to be pretty popular all around the internets these days. If everyone just cheered and clapped their hands every time something new came out, this place would be pretty lame.

Guest Spunk Monkey

"If everyone just cheered and clapped their hands every time something new came out, this place would be pretty lame"

To True.

*Fingers crossed for Del*

Hottest day of the year just got hotter!

Norman Records phanx

Grant phanx

Richard phanx

Nothing.

IMGP0043.JPG

btw, where does norman get the idea of crybabies? ;D

edit: credit goes to SR4, btw. He found the prototypical crybaby pic.

Guest jasondonervan

On my first listen. Full length version (compared to the shorter yt one) of Jidomatix's 'GM' is killer.

This is fab. Wish I knew which tracks are JK tracks. My mind's telling me all, but my body, my body is telling me it doesn't have a clue.

And the reason I ask is because there are a few different styles here. If it's all JK, he's better than I thought

Guest jasondonervan

J.K. - Man Hunt 1: Some sweet ass Jerry Goldsmith styles, very unexpected! Wouldn't be out of place on an early Planet of the Apes soundtrack.

J.K. - Billy: Filthy detuned business. Lush piano/violin work, and when those gated beats crunch in? OOOH... MATRON.

Heidi Lord - Heidi Kann Brauchen: Sublime synths. Love the tight drumwork. Perfectly adequate amounts of squelch. Lazy comparison? Subtle hints of John Carpenter, which is no bad thing.

Alain Kepler - Signal From Inside: I like the static. Very playful little track, builds really swiftly into a lush techno-infused vibe. Wish it were longer.

+10 - A Jam 7: More detune, but it's time to break out the Arps now. Sparkly spooky sounds. Again, needs to be longer than 2 and a half minutes!

Alain Kepler - (CAPS): Early electro, minimal dark sound... Drexciyan.

Black Narcissus - Clodah Part 2: Perfectly crafted electro from the darkest corners of the basement club.

TX81Z - Googol: Jumblefunk of bleeps and bloops with an occasional stomping of techno boots as it comes through the front door.

In conclusion, I give this compilation a....

RT9RIDD.jpg

Guest Spunk Monkey

J.K. - Man Hunt 1: Some sweet ass Jerry Goldsmith styles, very unexpected! Wouldn't be out of place on an early Planet of the Apes soundtrack.

J.K. - Billy: Filthy detuned business. Lush piano/violin work, and when those gated beats crunch in? OOOH... MATRON.

Heidi Lord - Heidi Kann Brauchen: Sublime synths. Love the tight drumwork. Perfectly adequate amounts of squelch. Lazy comparison? Subtle hints of John Carpenter, which is no bad thing.

Alain Kepler - Signal From Inside: I like the static. Very playful little track, builds really swiftly into a lush techno-infused vibe. Wish it were longer.

+10 - A Jam 7: More detune, but it's time to break out the Arps now. Sparkly spooky sounds. Again, needs to be longer than 2 and a half minutes!

Alain Kepler - (CAPS): Early electro, minimal dark sound... Drexciyan.

Black Narcissus - Clodah Part 2: Perfectly crafted electro from the darkest corners of the basement club.

TX81Z - Googol: Jumblefunk of bleeps and bloops with an occasional stomping of techno boots as it comes through the front door.

In conclusion, I give this compilation a....

RT9RIDD.jpg

Effing Lol :emotawesomepm9:

Archived