IGNORED

Urban Archaeology: 21 Years of Mo Wax (Kickstarter)

Guest jasondonervan

Guest jasondonervan

4de629270b41243d8b8017bb8aa477f8_large.j

A retrospective exhibition celebrating the 21st Anniversary of the birth of the iconic record label Mo'Wax.

"2013/14 marks the 21st anniversary of the birth of the label, and over a decade since the last release. To celebrate this milestone, we want to host a very special exhibition of the Mo'Wax archive, including never before seen artwork, proofs, paintings, toys and clothing, as well as personal notes and other memorabilia. So we need YOUR HELP to raise funds to restore the archive and put on the show.

The exhibition will take place in London, but if we raise more, then we will try to tour it to other cities in the world! All the money we raise will go into finding a venue and installing the show, as well as framing, archiving, production and publicity. The exhibition will also coincide with the re-release of UNKLE's seminal album Psyence Fiction, with a special version of the album available exclusively to Kickstarter Backers."

mowax21_archive_09.jpg

Seems like a reasonable enough kickstarter. I was a huge MW fan back in the late nineties, for years it could do no wrong as a label for me. Things got a bit spotty towards the end (Remember South?) but there's still plenty of releases that I'd happily go back and have a listen to now. Might throw in for the Psyence Fiction re-release, it's still a big favourite of mine.

21years of mowax!? Honestly, i thought they stopped in the early years of this century.

Great news though. They were well important for my nineties too.

Guest jasondonervan

Yeah, the title is a little misleading.

Definitely a good excuse to revisit some old classics that I haven't played in years.

Edited by jasondonervan

Yep, and to throw some angels carrying a €-sign at it.

Just over 200 donations at this point. I don't think thats much at all, btw. Mowax must be big enough to attract thousands of people, right?

Guest jasondonervan

As with the tDR kickstarter last month, it's just a case of getting the word out. An article on the right news outlet (digital or print) can really make the difference. I can see it getting funded, I'm sure there are plenty of old headz out there with a few pennies in their back pocket willing to bring back some of the old 90s flava.

That, or it's Kickstarter ennui, the market being flooded, KS articles being ten a penny... who knows.

Edited by jasondonervan

Well, im thankful for this thread, because i prolly wouldnt have known about it otherwise! ( word to Mouth in only 30 days!? Kids, tom Cruisein Mission Impossible didn't actually do all the stuff he did in those movies!)

Going for the >150 package deal, btw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I think James has nearly lost his mind trying to release this.

After 7 years nearly he still hasn't managed to release it, there was a new post today to say he's encountered more issues.

Poor alud James, fair play to him for still pushing.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, chassis said:

My bundle arrived last week. The 7", cassette and tshirt.

I actually dont have a 7" converter for my turntable so maybe Ill get one now.

what is the music on the 7" & cassette?

that whole kickstarter thing seems confusing as hell. looks like it was originally trying to be an art gallery type installation showcasing MoWax art/collectibles, then moved to back catalogue re-releases, then turned into a 200+ page book?

On 4/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, zero said:

what is the music on the 7" & cassette?

that whole kickstarter thing seems confusing as hell. looks like it was originally trying to be an art gallery type installation showcasing MoWax art/collectibles, then moved to back catalogue re-releases, then turned into a 200+ page book?

https://www.discogs.com/UNKLE-UNKLE-1-Rough-Mix-UNKLE-Session/release/18098674

some lunatics as usually trying to sell for massive prices on discogs.

On 8/24/2020 at 9:50 PM, Enthusiast said:

What happened that documentary about James Lavelle? Last time I checked it had been doing the festival circuit for several years without a release. Must be really good...

I ended up seeing this last year. Interesting doc for anyone who was into Mo'Wax. While it plays out as a road to redemption story for James Lavelle, it doesn't pull too many punches as to why it all fell apart for him. I always wondered why he became a progressive house dj.

Edited by Enthusiast