IGNORED

drexciya & the other people place

th555

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=val0J-XuuXk

Lifestyles of the Laptop Café is definitely one of my favourite albums of all time. Could any of you electro music history wizards tell me which of the numerous Drexciya-related side projects bear the most resemblance to this album?

Associated acts according to wikipedia: Abstract Thought, Arpanet, Clarence G, Der Zyklus, Dopplereffekt, Elecktroids, Glass Domain, Intellitronic, Japanese Telecom, Lab Rat XL, L.A.M., Shifted Phases, Transllusion

Cheers :)

I'm guessing you already have the EP as well?

Other People Place is part of the Drexciya storm-series, 7 albums made in a really short amount of time between 2000-2002 I guess. If you want something in the vein of that album check out the other storm-albums by Abstract Thought, Shifted Phases, Lab Rat XL, Transllusion (which has 2 albums) and the Harnessed the Storm album of Drexciya. Grava 4 by Drexciya is sometimes added to the list as well but was made/released after the 'storm'. I must say that the Other People Place album is completely unique in feeling, also an alltime fav of mine. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Other People Place album was a solo-record of James Stinson, just like Lab Rat XL, Transllusion and Shifted Phases, so your best bet is with those 3.

Def check out this site as well, it has everything on James Stinson and Gerald Donald - http://www.drexciyaresearchlab.webs.com/

And for a pretty good total rip-off of the Other People Place, check out this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2529UnW22Mk

Lifestyles of the Laptop Café is definitely one of my favourite albums of all time.

Same here! A few years ago I made a point to track down all the storm albums and I'm very glad I did.

They're all worthwhile and awesome, but I agree with Herr that The Other People Place has a pretty unique soulful sound among the rest of the storm series—I don't think there is another album that sounds like it in the bunch.

Start with the storm series for sure, and work backwards in their discography. That's what I did, and my favorite stuff is still these later albums, because they have that weird, soulful, unstable, personal, psychedelic sound. Earlier Drexciya is brilliant as well, but it can have a much harder edge.

Yeah I heard about the Storm series, but back then I couldn't find much info on those albums, and then I kinda forgot about it. I'll look into it again! Drexciya is indeed Stinson solo, so I'll check out his other solo projects as well. Thanks a lot guys!

PS don't get me wrong, I love early Drexciya as well. It's just that it's indeed quite a bit harsher, and sometimes of varying quality. Lifestyles on the other hand is smooth (and indeed unstable, that's a nice way of putting it) and all killer no filler.

Btw, I just found out 2 short films have been made based on the Drexciya theme.

That's a trailer for the 2012 one, the other one's from 010. Music in this sounds familiar (but it's not drexciya :P).

Some people seem to think it's "just" some simple loops thrown together and alternated every x measures. They're somewhat right, of course, but I still think it's great :P

I'd say Lifestyles is a bit more subtle than the Analords, with its long repetitive tracks.

i got the other people's place i think it sucks, i'm just not feeling it (though i want to)

The "groove" is at the heart and soul of each track in that album. Sometimes it doesn't click for some people, or for me, it doesn't always click for me depending on my mood. As th555 said, Subtle is the perfect descriptor.

I always thought this album was a very successful merging or house and downtempo with the techniques James used in his "typical" techno and electro releases. It's a very emotional album. I do not know exactly when he recorded it, but this was within a year of Stinson's untimely death.

http://youtu.be/9d407EomWvk

Guest nene multiple assgasms

lifestyles of the laptop café is the coziest album ever. listening to it feels like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket and drinking a cup of tea while on some wonderful drug.

Archived