IGNORED

Is anyone else obsessed with 808 State's Quadrastate album?

Lane Visitor

I can't stop listening to this classic gem!!!

Quadrastate.png

even the artwork, the song titles, the mixing, the concepts, everything.. i can't get enough. Pacific State is gorgeous, of course, but so are all the other tracks on here.

i know there's been a thread on this, before (http://forum.watmm.com/topic/32715-808-state-quadrastate/?hl=quadrastate) but it only talked about the re-release.

the music on here is so weird, expansive, international sounding, frozen, and mysterious. it has a cheap, digital, lo-fi tone, but there's something very human about it still.. it feels like transportation (maybe partially cuz of the "state"/"pacific" references). I feel like i wanna be on some giant double decker airplane, giant cargo ship or trans-continental train.. or waiting to board, arriving or leaving in some distant airport, cruise port, train station or subway.

106, state ritual and state to state are also awesome. So hypnotic and strange.

does anyone else share this obsession?

p.s. im also obsessed with Ninety, Don Solaris, Ex:El, Gorgeous. Fuck, i love their entire output. I love that they don't care about sticking to one thing or sounding like anything else. I love that they don't care about sounding cheap or thin. i love that they're adventurous and exotic and exploratory.

Nice! The only 808 State CD I actually own is 80808080 or however you type that, so I have not heard the actual CD masters of the Quadrastate re-release- I've only heard the vinyl rips and CD version of the original release as well as the re-release with bonus tracks via Grooveshark, so it's not really easy to comment on the mastering since it's via streaming, but it definitely sounds lush. The only thing that seemed obvious was more gain, tone stayed fairly the same from what I could tell. I wasn't too crazy about the choice of bonus tracks included on there- they were a bit late 80s/early 90s hip hop/techno gimmicky sounding to me, That stuff can be fun in it's own way- but I didn't think it flowed nicely after the full album-- I'd rather hear a fuckload of Pacific State remixes/versions haha. I do plan on purchasing the 2008 version though. I wouldn't mind owning the vinyl either.

Archived