IGNORED

$142 million Bacon sale

Plarkreluke Banloboh

The record breaking $142.4 million sale of Francis Bacon's "Three Studies of Lucian Freud" shows confidence in the art market and that the very wealthy see it as a safe haven for their money, experts said on Wednesday.

One of these investors-masquerading-as-art-collectors should drop $100 million on a piece of Netart if they want to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes! ;)

"But the fact is when exceptional objects come to market in times when people have got a lot of liquid cash, and when interest rates are low, that's often an incentive to put their money into something which is absolutely magnificent in its own right ... and continue to be exceptional,"

ugh

Guest Frankie5fingers

*makes comment related to thread topic*

I really came in here expecting some billionaire to have gone bananas and bought a massive amount of bacon.

i had a similar thought, but instead of a lot of bacon i figured it was just one strip that has been aging for over 3000 years.

I really like his work but would be unwilling to pay 1/1200th of that much. I was recently searching for some decent size prints of his, poster size, all i could find was some really small overpriced A4 prints which i didn't buy. Bought a couple of 100cm x 70cm Mark Rothko prints and a rug in the same pattern which really ties the room together.

I wonder how much of this is an incentive of the direction of the coming year: last year it was Wilhelm's Scream (Fear and the 2012 phenomennon paranoia), now it's the grandson of Sigmund Freud (psychoanalysis).

Maybe I'm just seeing ghosts, though.

Archived